• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2019: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
When did the ridiculousness of having two different people check harnesses start?
That sounds like complete madness. Any coaster installed in the UK since at least 1994 (when Nemesis opened) has to have an electrical interlock on the control system to monitor that the harnesses are locked. This makes it impossible to dispatch a train with a harness completely unlocked / in the "up" position. Of course, some guests could be trying for a "loose, but still locked" harness for a bit of extra airtime - that may explain any dual-checking.

NB: This only applies to rollercoasters. Water rides are exempt - hence what happened on Hydro where the ride was dispatched with an unlocked harness. (Electrical interlocks have since been added).

Amazingly, the most litigious country in the world - the USA, where lawyers will sue for anything - do not require electrical interlocks. Many rides have them for sure, but the late Dragons Challenge (or rather Duelling Dragons) which was a modern B&M ride never had them.

I always find it laughable at Disney on rides like Tower of [no] Terror & Test Track where the harness checker makes you tug on the seatbelt tag to check it's locked. The cast member is looking at a set of lights on the side of the car which is telling them exactly which seatbelts are locked. If any light is not lit up, there is no way they'll be sending on your way.

It’s only when someone is in training that you would get a double check. Happens more at this time of year because there are lots of new staff.
Aah yes, forgot about trainee staff! Back when I worked there there was no double check, but the trainer had to follow the trainee round to check they were doing everything they should. If the trainer was happy, then all was OK & no double checking.

I guess it's all a result of the H&S mess that Alton are in because of the Smiler. Until a new ride host has been fully trained, verbally assessed & passed the multi-choice test for the ride in question, they are not considered competent. Hence, a fully experienced & passed-off ride host has to double-check, even though they watched them do the same check they are about to do themselves.

It’s happened on every ride so far today even the go Jetters

Found operations generally poor so far today, wickerman took 45 mins from under the lift hill

Should also add I've had to remove trainees from Nemesis in the past... have had one who could not follow any instructions. Train stuck in brake run & told him "you're not to stand in the train between the rows - speak to guests from the side of the train". Turn my back & where is he? Right in the middle of the train! He was delegated to litter-picking very fast.

The classic was another who put his hand right up a young ladies skirt when trying to locate the seatbelt that she was sitting on, on Nemesis. He was off training for the rest of the day and litter picking! He did eventually pass though, having learnt to ask the guest to locate the seatbelt.

The classic was another who put his hand right up a young ladies skirt when trying to locate the seatbelt that she was sitting on, on Nemesis. He was off training for the rest of the day and litter picking! He did eventually pass though, having learnt to ask the guest to locate the seatbelt.

:D thats one of the only reason I ride Nemmy and Blivvy , to get groped by the staff, its one of the only joys in life I have left

Whilst obviously when training double check is an extra safety thing but to the guest it could also have the opposite effect and actually make them feel anxious such as “why have they had to check it twice, is it not safe?”

Whilst obviously when training double check is an extra safety thing but to the guest it could also have the opposite effect and actually make them feel anxious such as “why have they had to check it twice, is it not safe?”
Those of a nervous disposition are probably more spooked when you release the harnesses or have to recheck them.

I always find it laughable at Disney on rides like Tower of [no] Terror & Test Track where the harness checker makes you tug on the seatbelt tag to check it's locked. The cast member is looking at a set of lights on the side of the car which is telling them exactly which seatbelts are locked. If any light is not lit up, there is no way they'll be sending on your way.

They do the tug check to make sure you aren’t sitting on a locked belt. There is a video on YouTube of someone who sat on a locked belt on tower of terror and experienced some serious airtime

Is there a camera pointing at the waterfalls channel? I wonder if they are going to have times when the waterfalls are on and off. Record what the riders do. Then use the results to risk levels.
Add that to the modification risk level drop and show the waterfall has an acceptable risk level.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

Customer excellence obviously had enough feedback this year :rolleyes:

2vac9cl.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.