• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2019: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Why does "Blade" need to go? It's ancient, for sure, but it still works, and it's a ride that's very quick to get on. It's been there for 30 odd years (in different places), why does it have to go now?

I think the only way blade will go is if they want the land for future development. I don’t see why they couldn’t move it as they did before to mutiny bay or CCL with a retheme though especially after they stripped the paint back to the metal and refurbished it a year or two ago.

The reason Blade would go is that maintaining it will eventually become uneconomical. It may well have already reached that point. I don't expect Enterprise to last much longer either - both need replacing soon.

Take this with a pinch of salt of course, but I’ve just seen a post claiming that in 2019 we’ll see the alton towers dungeons in the CATCF structure (of course) but the same post claims that it is to be free for premium annual pass holders. According to the post, we’ll also see N: ST reopen in 2019. It also claims that as the dungeons are funded about 60% by the midway budget and 40% by the towers budget, towers have the budget and have therefore decided to add a derren brown ghost train style attraction within the old Ice age building. Also, it claims next year the submission site will see the addition of a small drop tower. It doesn’t mention the time frame for this next project, but it says we’ll see an underground coaster at the top of forbidden valley (similar in design to a previously planned cross valley coaster but underground to mitigate noise complaints) so the blade will be removed in the forseeable future.

I don’t really believe this, it seems like a possibility that we could see flats funded by the portion of the budget not used for the dungeons, but I was wondering what everyone else thought about this?
This post is amazing.

It starts off based in fact, then just descends into madness, getting more and more ridiculous as it goes on. :p

This post is amazing.

It starts off based in fact, then just descends into madness, getting more and more ridiculous as it goes on. :p

I agree. As I said in the post, I saw it somewhere and thought it would be a good talking point so basically copied it over. It’s not my own. :tearsofjoy: Whether it happens or not (probably not), I’m curious to see what people thought of it, even if I don’t believe the majority of it.

The reason Blade would go is that maintaining it will eventually become uneconomical. It may well have already reached that point. I don't expect Enterprise to last much longer either - both need replacing soon.

I think enterprise is likely to be cannibalised for parts for similar rides at Chessington or thorpe. Apparently there were three similar rides in the merlin portfolio and one had already been cannibalised so enterprise could indeed be next.

The blade certainly has seen a lot of change over the years, I wonder if there were any other models of the ride made around the time of the blade and whether they lasted very long or are still going? I guess it’s not too technically challenging other than the restraints and metal fatigue which could be why it’s lasted so long.

To be fair CCL will probably have to be rethemed darker if the dungeons are going in catcf.

Unless they fence between the two areas like with Cbeebies and sonic spinball (like I hope they do) or decided to place the dungeons there between the family and thrill areas to attract both markets, but yes I agree it could work well especially with the story of the towers and the prominence of the towers in that area, but then we would need a new family area which I don’t think they have the room to build anywhere?

Unless they fence between the two areas like with Cbeebies and sonic spinball (like I hope they do) or decided to place the dungeons there between the family and thrill areas to attract both markets, but yes I agree it could work well especially with the story of the towers and the prominence of the towers in that area, but then we would need a new family area which I don’t think they have the room to build anywhere?

If they fenced say where the queline for house of monsters starts then they basically have the rest of ccl as a family area. If they wanted to include the theatre they could fence that off and just use the archway next to hex as the entrance to ccl and move he frog hopper. Every time I’ve been in ccl it’s been empty even on a busy day. The dungeons and a possible dark ride could bring a range of different people to the area.

I think enterprise is likely to be cannibalised for parts for similar rides at Chessington or thorpe. Apparently there were three similar rides in the merlin portfolio and one had already been cannibalised so enterprise could indeed be next.

The blade certainly has seen a lot of change over the years, I wonder if there were any other models of the ride made around the time of the blade and whether they lasted very long or are still going? I guess it’s not too technically challenging other than the restraints and metal fatigue which could be why it’s lasted so long.

I remember riding Blade when it was the Pirate Ship, somewhere in what is now x sector i think, it was only a kid, so well over 30 years ago, i did it 14 times in a row - amazing to see it's still going, Classic ride. I'd only get rid of it if it died as was unfixable to be honest

I read up about the unlimited fastrack for a year at thorpe, it sounds like a great idea, but it costs £400! This is ridiculous and needs to be reduced by half the amount for anyone to even consider buying it. I wish alton did this but even if they did it'd be a stupid price aswell

People would absolutely pay that or even more, people will pay anything to skip queues. I consider the VIP pass hugely underpriced for the same reason.

If we have to deal with people who want unlimited queue jumping the least Merlin could do to soften the blow for the rest of us is to charge them as much as possible for it. The last thing we need is loads of people getting it.

The year round quick queue at Busch Gardens Tampa is $299 and that park is open 365 days per year unlike Thorpe Park, so this product is already priced way above industry equivalents.

I would like to see an unlimited annual single rider queue fast track pass, they can charge £200 for these. I would propose that these are limited to 1 per house hold (after all these will be a single rider pass) but any member of your family will be allowed to use it as a single rider, not as a group. They would allow you to enter the fast track as usual, but at the batching, you will be held until a single empty seat is available, and there are plenty of free seats. You won't be holding up the main queue as you are simply filling up the empty seats that would have remained empty anyway. I would limit these to MAP holders only. It won't require any extra staff to operate it either. I think it will be a win win pass for everyone.

This could be a good replacement for the SRQ . The problem when the old SRQ system, was that they got abused by a whole group of people trying to use it as a free fast track, making the SRQ just a long as the normal queue lines on peak days.

I would like to see an unlimited annual single rider queue fast track pass, they can charge £200 for these. I would propose that these are limited to 1 per house hold (after all these will be a single rider pass) but any member of your family will be allowed to use it as a single rider, not as a group. They would allow you to enter the fast track as usual, but at the batching, you will be held until a single empty seat is available, and there are plenty of free seats. You won't be holding up the main queue as you are simply filling up the empty seats that would have remained empty anyway. I would limit these to MAP holders only. It won't require any extra staff to operate it either. I think it will be a win win pass for everyone.

This could be a good replacement for the SRQ . The problem when the old SRQ system, was that they got abused by a whole group of people trying to use it as a free fast track, making the SRQ just a long as the normal queue lines on peak days.
Not sure AP holders would want to shell out £200 when they've already paid like £500 for their Annual Pass... ;)

Good idea though. :)

Not sure AP holders would want to shell out £200 when they've already paid like £500 for their Annual Pass... ;)

Good idea though. :)

It will be limited to 1 per house hold. A MAP cost around £200 per person. It will still be cheaper than paying for a years worth of FT, but also you will be filling up those empty seats. I see plenty of them this season.

Classic ride. I'd only get rid of it if it died as was unfixable to be honest
There's not a lot "unfixable" with a Huss Pirate Ship. Maybe a new gondola boat shell would be suffice as it's looking a little rough round the edges.

Although I'd be happy to see it replaced if an Intamin Super Gyro Swing turned up in it's place.

There's not a lot "unfixable" with a Huss Pirate Ship. Maybe a new gondola boat shell would be suffice as it's looking a little rough round the edges.

Although I'd be happy to see it replaced if an Intamin Super Gyro Swing turned up in it's place.
Yeah, I've always said an Intamin Gyro Swing would be a great fit. :)

The year round quick queue at Busch Gardens Tampa is $299 and that park is open 365 days per year unlike Thorpe Park, so this product is already priced way above industry equivalents.

BGT quick queue is very reasonably priced and a no brainer if you're there all day. All day dining is well worth it too on a full days visit. Half price beer as well.

Thorpe doesn't have a ship, unless they put one in since last month, Chessington has one, along with Robin Hill on the Isle of Wight, and a few other smaller parks I've been to.

You should probably prepare yourself, in a few weeks photos of blade being dismantled will be posted on the net, the Internet will loose it's shit thinking it's being removed, and Alton will again, like every other year, be forced to tweet a reply back to someone that Blade is fully dismantled during its winter maintaince and it's not going anywhere, like they have for the last three years at least.

*Now watch them tween back that it's going on TLC lol

Thorpe doesn't have a ship, unless they put one in since last month, Chessington has one, along with Robin Hill on the Isle of Wight, and a few other smaller parks I've been to.

You should probably prepare yourself, in a few weeks photos of blade being dismantled will be posted on the net, the Internet will loose it's **** thinking it's being removed, and Alton will again, like every other year, be forced to tweet a reply back to someone that Blade is fully dismantled during its winter maintaince and it's not going anywhere, like they have for the last three years at least.

*Now watch them tween back that it's going on TLC lol
Thorpe has a ship called Mr Monkey's Banana Boat Ride, although it is a lot smaller than Towers and Chesington's.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.