• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2019: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Oh look, the misquoting has equally begun as well. At no point am I calling anyone with a disability a snowflake; it's the people who get offended at the drop of the hat which is exactly what this society is turning into as you've just demonstrated so perfectly well.

My point (which you seem to have missed) is that other theme parks in other countries seem to cope just fine, yet over here the RAP system is a burden on the main queue, seemingly only in Merlin parks.
You said people up in arms over discrimination are snowflakes. This suggests that you're happy with where we are now and we should just accept discrimination as a part of life.

As for misuse of RAP you're painting everyone with the same brush, you don't know who is in line. Just because you're in a Facebook group, that isn't representative of the public as a whole. Sure misuse needs to stop, but who is and isn't eligable for a pass isn't your business

I think a lot of people are being too emotional over this subject.

The fact of the matter is that currently too many people qualify for the R.A.P.

This is the case because of how big the line gets - defeating the entire point of it.

If I was in charge, I'd take a leaf out of our European counterparts' books.

Make all queues, where possible, wheel-chair friendly. Also, like BPB, 1 carer per wristband max. This would greatly help aid capacity.

:)

I think a lot of people are being too emotional over this subject.

The fact of the matter is that currently too many people qualify for the R.A.P.

This is the case because of how big the line gets - defeating the entire point of it.

If I was in charge, I'd take a leaf out of the European Counterparts.

Make all queues, where possible, wheel-chair friendly. Also, like BPB, 1 carer per wristband max. This would greatly help aid capacity.

:)
Please forgive my overenthusiastic posts. It's a topic, and political issue, close to heart for many people. Accessibility is a major issue not just in theme parks but everywhere (did you know only 70 out of 270 tube stations are wheelchair accessible, for example?)

I'm unsure if there are any limits on the amount of carers/helpers for disabled guests with RAP's, although I've seen disabled guests followed by 3-6 guests with them, when they clearly would not need that much assistance. I even saw a disabled guest with 10 'carers/helpers' being let through on to Wicker Man last week.

For me it seems like the abuse of the system stems from how many non-disabled guests freeload to get on rides quicker. Maybe limit the pass strictly to 1 or 2 carers per disabled guest. At the moment it seems like someone with a RAP can bring along 3.. 6... 10... how ever may guests and no one raises an eyebrow.

The pass should only be there to allow the disabled guest and necessary carers (required to assist the disabled guest) on to the ride, not the disabled guest, carers and the whole family or large groups of friends.

Any way the system is altered people will complain, since it has been allowed to spiral out of control in the first place.

Needless to say, RAP is not the sole reason for ride throughput deteriorating and queue times increasing in 2018.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Trying to keep on topic, I don’t think we’re likely to see any changes to the systems next year. Merlin has had a big push that “not every disability is visible”, investing in signs throughout the park.

With regards to fast track, I doubt that we’ll see many changes other than more limits to how many are dished out when a break down happens.

Wicker Man doesn’t have a single rider queue and Thirteen has has it’s single rider queue removed (others may have also but I have not noticed) so I don’t think those rules are going anywhere sadly. I remember reading a tweet that the abuse of the system as claimed by merlin was on the smiler last year. The single riders would be told to go up one side of the stairs but joined the other side with those in the standard queue , allowing for them to ride together and have a shorter wait. I think it was really just budget cuts to stop the need for staff at the merge points, so that and the removal/omission of SRQs elsewhere makes it seem unlikely to me that they will be back sadly.

@Danny ill simply refer you to what @speedy said aside from to say you refered to both snowflakes and RAP users within the same sentence, so it is natural to assume you were implying you considered both one and the same.

@Danny ill simply refer you to what @speedy said aside from to say you refered to both snowflakes and RAP users within the same sentence, so it is natural to assume you were implying you considered both one and the same.

I could also use the term "excellent theme park operators" and Merlin Entertainments in the same sentence; does not mean they are one and the same. Clearly neither of you have extracted the correct meaning from my original post so I shan't continue the discussion any further.

I could also use the term "excellent theme park operators" and Merlin Entertainments in the same sentence; does not mean they are one and the same. Clearly neither of you have extracted the correct meaning from my original post so I shan't continue the discussion any further.

Or perhaps the fact that two independent people took offence at what you said means you were not as clear as you thought.

Guys, this could go round and round in circles. If we wish to debate the pros and cons of RAP there’s a thread for it as has been pointed out above. If not can we get back to the topic in hand. I think it’s fairly clear there was a misunderstanding of what was meant in an original post - we don’t need to discuss it further. :)

Bag drops 100% speed up throughput. This is fact not a guess. I believe every major ride bar Oblivion and Spinball can have a bag drop. Maybe improved throughputs can allow entrance lockers as the queue should be short enough (Oblivion had them in 98 apparently?)

Regarding RAP. Needs sorting. No idea how, not entering that argument.

Ban Fastrack. SRQ return on all rides except Nemesis (wrong side for an SRQ to be efficient)

How would bag drop work on Galactica? They need to return to smiler and 13 and SAY on wickerman, I’ve got no issue with (when the main queue was empty) the staff batching the SRQ into the bays as I consider it luck of the draw.

Right of the fake entrance rock. Queue goes far side, collection next to the Galactica sign

I don’t think Galactica needs a staffed baggage hold. The system currently employed is efficient and secure and I wouldn’t see any reason to change it to be honest.

Hmmm wouldn't improved throughput reduce fast track sales? I can't see Merlin being pleased at that.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.