• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2019: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Im surprised they didn't change it back to air and just pretend Galactica never happened or try to claim it was only a temporary change

Towers had their cuts a couple of years ago. From my limited understanding I would guess Merlin operate by issuing both a spending budget and guest number/ income expectation. If you don’t meet the guest numbers/ expected profit then the money is recouped by cutting spending budgets. I would guess Thorpe and Lego didn’t meet budget last year so the axe fell.

Towers exceeded expectations last year so they had no further cuts. Therefore the current operating model has had both time to settle in, and we are all used to it so see no further deterioration as a positive.

So all we're left with is a weird, lacking theme

Yes, that's what I meant. All that money wasted on a theme for something that they scrapped within 2 seasons.

I never hated Galactica like some on here because I personally don't like the coaster full stop so I can see why they felt the need to do something. But the result of this failure is that we went from a truly unique and interesting theme with Air to a bog standard, boring space theme that consists of little more than a name and 1 piece of theming.

The net result is a theme that's even more out of place in it's location than the original, a hole in the balance sheet to be plugged by more cuts elsewhere and a lasting monument to a failed and extremely short lived (even by Merlin standards!) venture.

All of which could have been predicted the moment VR was announced (and was said lots of times), but they simply don't care, they got their PR boost out of it and that's all those in control care for

I really want to know why they keep using the same formula for designing new rides that has hilariously backfired on multiple occasions.

N:ST, DBGT , TWD:TR, IAC, Ghostbusters, Galactica. Just to name a few.

It’s strange because when they break away from the formula such as Wicker Man or CBeebies Land. It works.

I've been 3 times this season and ride availability was really good. Operations were decent too, so i'm giving a bit of credit here.

I will agree that Oblibion is a frustrating experience on one station though.

It’s strange because when they break away from the formula such as Wicker Man or CBeebies Land. It works.
Cbeebies is 100% a Merlin formula (family attractions 'dont work' unless they are a cheap going IP they say) and looks it with its falling apart, nasty repaint of an existing area. Its name is a popular draw for a certain age range, but it's a short term thing.

Wicker Man was a fantastic break from the formula, so much so that they turned it into a new formula with Wicker Man 2 at Heide Park. They just don't get it do they!

There are so many great things designers could have come up with for a new feature on Colossus, but clearly Merlin pushed for a rehash yet again.

I'm confused why people are implying operations at ATR this season are bad? They're far better than last year and nowhere near in the same league as CWOA or LLW.

WM and Oblivion aside, I am pretty happy.

Smiler, Galactica, Th13teen and Nemesis are running as well as we would hope and Oblivion, Spinball and Wicker Man will have increased within days.

We've also seen several extensions to 6pm already.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I think the staggered opening times last season was a real killer and caused major queues. Last season I struggled to get on everything just the once (and many visitors complaining that they barely got on 3 to 4 rides). This season, I manage to get on all the rides several times plus time to do the dungeons. This is how it should be :)

Looks like Cbeebies is not the pull it was. Got the shortest queues on park and that's with Peter rabbit unavailable. Let's concentrate on thill as that is what all the customers seem to want today. A word of advice to towers management look at investment in what people want not unreliable baby bouncing rides!! NST would be more use to the park today rather than another Cbeebies addition. Plus kids didn't want to experience dungeons so be aware that might have been a poor investment too

Looks like Cbeebies is not the pull it was. Got the shortest queues on park and that's with Peter rabbit unavailable. Let's concentrate on thill as that is what all the customers seem to want today. A word of advice to towers management look at investment in what people want not unreliable baby bouncing rides!! NST would be more use to the park today rather than another Cbeebies addition. Plus kids didn't want to experience dungeons so be aware that might have been a poor investment too
Octonaughts 45 mins
Get Set Go Tree Top Adventure 25 mins
In The Night Garden Magical Boat Ride 20 mins
Postman Pat Parcel Post 20 mins
Oblivion 15 mins
Nemesis 10 mins

Last edited:
Reactions: D4n
CBeebies Land consistently has queues of 30-60 minutes for the main rides during weekends and holiday periods. Admittedly, that's down to capacity of the rides rather than anything else - but queues are certainly as long - if not longer - than some of the thrill rides.

Reactions: D4n
Octonaughts 45 mins
Get Set Go Tree Top Adventure 25 mins
In The Night Garden Magical Boat Ride 20 mins
Postman Pat Parcel Post 20 mins
Oblivion 15 mins
Nemesis 10 mins
You're comparing them to the 2 least popular thrill rides. Whereas wicker man or smiler are busier usually than any of those cbeebies queues

You're comparing them to the 2 least popular thrill rides. Whereas wicker man or smiler are busier usually than any of those cbeebies queues
Short queues don't equal unpopularity, same way long queues with Cbeebies doesnt mean those rides are the most popular in the park

The point evilcod was making was that Cbeebies ride do get long queues in response to a previous poster saying they didnt, not saying they were more popular :)

Last edited:
The point I was making earlier was most of the rides at Cbeebies were on zero minutes if you looked at family ride times they were green 0 minutes apart from octonaugts, postman pat and in the night garden (that's only 3 rides out of cbeebies) and that was with Peter rabbit unavailable. The smiler which has a bigger throughput than any Cbeebies ride was 55 mins, wickerman 60 mins, Rita 45 mins, and thirteen 40 minutes so thriller rides seemed to be very popular but all merlin want to invest in is Cbeebies. Perhaps this cash cow ( like their lego) has reached its limit. If so all I can see is other alternative investment is needed!

At the time I checked Wicker Man was Closed and The Smiler was on 50 mins so only slightly longer than Octonaughts. I'll leave you to do the calculations as to how much more money The Smiler cost the park to install than Octonaughts did ;)

The point I was making earlier was most of the rides at Cbeebies were on zero minutes if you looked at family ride times they were green 0 minutes apart from octonaugts, postman pat and in the night garden (that's only 3 rides out of cbeebies)
How many rides do you think there is in Cbeebies??
Octonaughts, Get Set Go , In The Night Garden and Postman Pat all had long queues.
Justin's House and Charlie and Lola are not actually rides.
That only leaves Peter Rabbit which was closed, NumTums which has never had a queue even as Doodle Doo in the farm and Go Jetters which is the odd one out here as I have never seen it without a queue so not sure what was happening yesterday.

This is ignoring the fact that Cbeebies has 5 very popular shows and a large play area not included on ridetimes.

I spend more time in Cbeebies than any other area of the park and can tell you for a fact it is extremely popular and always busy.

I believe Oblivion is now operating dual loading so they must have more trains available. Just in time for Easter weekend :)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.