• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2019: Peter Rabbit Hippity Hop - Junior Drop Towers for CBeebies Land

If I was on the management team, for 2019 I wouldn't install any new rides. I'd install a show venue and have two or three decent shows each day. The park really needs something other than rides.

I'd say the park needs an indoor or undercover show venue and a good quality show that the whole family can enjoy. Not a corny 10 minute pirate show but something decent and suitable for all weathers and all ages.
So true. The idea that theme parks are 'just about rides' is one of the many formulaic things that the Merlin approach instills in people, and it would be a fresh and welcome start to have something that you can appreciate as a unique experience rather than follow the standard and boringly predictable queue--> ride --> exit approach. It's about using creative and technical talent to produce something that will draw people in and attach them to both the show and the wider park as a result. Even something as simple as a fountain show, or a puppet show/animatronic show, something that makes you think 'wow that was actually pretty fun to watch' or 'that character was really funny' . Also, yes, indoors is a must. Gotta have theatrical lighting, audio done by clever people who know how to get the perfect sound frequency for human hearing, and a decent creative mind who can create a good story and use some original ideas. Good location and entrance is needed too to draw people in. Doom and Son's wasn't a ride as such (not a show either for that matter), but that facade is the kind of thing that makes you intrigued and wanting to know and experience what you can't currently see. Having an entrance to a fantasy show where there are goblins and fairies would look great if the outside was a large grove, with intertwining roots that create the exterior of the show building and the entrance lead in to a dark ante room with flickering green LED lanterns.
In all fairness, for something that was literally just a background thing whilst you were eating your sandwiches, I don't think the old Pirate Show was that bad, I think the panto style of it engaged the audience and the effects were quite cool. Problem is, it's just a tiny outdoor stage and you can do so little with it.
I think suggestions, as pointless as they are, would be:
  • Move staff offices elsewhere and make a good use for a show or museum in Towers Street
  • Or use the other 'street' (what's left of it at least) perhaps inside the old theater building to try something new.
  • Alternatively, a new show altogether in a specific themed area of the park respective to that theme.

I would like to see Blade stay and potentially the reopening of Sub-terra or Toadstools but I think they will potentially just run with the same lineup (with the inclusion of dungeons) and see how 2019 does - if we don't fall off a cliff edge with Brexit then we might see a bit of investment in 2020? Providing attendances creep up still

Last edited:
In spite of previously believing we'd see some of the mothballed attractions re-opened, my revised views, sadly ,are:
  • Toadstool is old. It is also in disrepair. The park will be able to staff it, but not get it up to an acceptable standard to open it again. I think it is permanently gone.
  • Sub Terra costs too much to run. They should open it, but it will simply have to go down as a dire mistake.
  • The 4D should also re-open. But... the theming inside is still all Ice Age. They won't have the money to remove all the theming and decorate it, nor afford a film.
So... bad news I reckon.

Last edited:
In spite of previously believing we'd see some of the mothballed attractions re-opened, my revised views, sadly ,are:
  • Toadstool is old. It is also in disrepair. The park will be able to staff it, but not get it up to an acceptable standard to open it again. I think it is permanently gone.
  • Sub Terra costs too much to run. They should open it, but it will simply have to go down as a dire mistake.
  • The 4D should also re-open. But... the theming inside is still all Ice Age. They won't have the money to remove all the theming and decorate it, nor afford a film.
So... bad news I reckon.

That is all bad news

Toadstool needs replacing, just any new rides in that area would be a start.

Also they really should have budgets for something else to be added this year for families. A simple 4D or live show in the theatre building would be enough.

Toadstool is old. It is also in disrepair. The park will be able to staff it, but not get it up to an acceptable standard to open it again. I think it is permanently gone.

Even if it's beyond repair it's one of the cheapest and least technical ride types that exist. Pretty much every amusement/theme park has one but ATR can't afford to replace their knackered one!

Should be in perfect condition, it's been closed for TLC for how long? 2 or 3 years? There's no way they would lie and use TLC as an excuse so it must have been completely rebuilt and in perfect order by now surely!

(Same as Loggers Leap which has been closed for development for about 5 years, they must have completely rebuilt it by now)

I have absolutely no idea where I have heard this from, but wasn't there a bit of speculation about the possibility of a junior drop being installed in X-Sector in Submission’s former location?

Alton Towers have submitted a planning application for "the installation of 2 No. of Junior Drop Tower rides with an associated queue line".

My guess would be 2 frog hopper style rides in CBeebies Land, but we'll have to wait for the documents to be uploaded which will be after Christmas now.
Interesting. Could this suggest Frog Hopper could be being removed?

I suppose it could also be the relocation of Frog Hopper as well as a similar ride from another Merlin park to CBeebies Land?

So... bad news I reckon.

I estimate that it has cost Merlin in excess of £200,000 as a result of both failed legal attempts to reduce their business rates.

Just imagine what this kind of money could do to improve the park, as you rightly point out.

Merlin are very wasteful.

:)

I don’t believe the Frog Hopper has ever had planning permission as such and may be classed as a temporary structure, hence why it has been easily moved around over the years.

So this could be something on a slightly larger scale if they are applying for planning. Could they have pulled a couple of the drop Towers out of Sub Terra to be plonked on the Ripsaw site?

Definitely won’t be planning permission for the dungeons, firstly can’t see them adding two kids drop towers outside for the dungeons. If they did surely they would be built inside. Secondly they wouldn’t need to have queue line for towers, as that’s part of the dungeons already.

Surely these will either be for cbeebies land, or replacement for frog hopper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk