• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2020: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Even if they halved the amount of people in the park it’s still not viable. And they would still sell fast track knowing them.
Fastrack would be a certainty, genuine question how would social distancing work for the RAP queues when they are always so long?

They’d end up being cattle-penned longer than the main queue!

The problem with halfing the amount of people in the park means they park would more than likely be on the verge of losing money or borderline breakeven. Making it an unviable option.

You half the amount of people in the park, that's less ticket revenue, less parking revenue, less F&B, fast revenue ect ect. But the operational costs of the park will remain the same. The park still needs a similar amount of staff to safely operate rides and keep the park open.

I cannot at all see the park opening with half capacity. It makes no financial sense at all.

I doubt the park could even open, if and big if the park reopens in August and you don’t limit the park numbers then what’s to stop everyone just distending onto the park throwing any chance of social distancing out the window

They could just open the park to ticket sales.
Omit all map season pass holders.
Will make a profit then

Not only would that be disasterous from a publicity point of view by stopping people who have essentially paid for almost unlimited access to the park. You can't just stop people who have literally paid in advance to enter the park when they wish, from entering while at the same time allowing people to pay upfront to enter. That is suicide for any business.

Parks operate on thin margins as it is. Even limiting half the amount of paying customers whilst only letting them in will mean the park struggles to make a profit. Operational costs are fairly consistent.

This is also assuming the park will open at all. Unlikely at this moment in time.

I dont think you understand. The park will struggle to make a profit when half full. So you suggest to stop season pass holders as that will half the numbers. That then puts the park in the exact same place I originally stated and that you are commenting against. Forgive me if have missed something but you've just made a point against my point where your point is the same point I made that you commented against.

The problem with halfing the amount of people in the park means they park would more than likely be on the verge of losing money or borderline breakeven. Making it an unviable option.

You half the amount of people in the park, that's less ticket revenue, less parking revenue, less F&B, fast revenue ect ect. But the operational costs of the park will remain the same. The park still needs a similar amount of staff to safely operate rides and keep the park open.

I cannot at all see the park opening with half capacity. It makes no financial sense at all.
This works on the (flawed) idea that at full capacity, parks only make a tiny amount of revenue. If that were true, then parks would always close outside school holidays, all weekdays etc., times when attendance is much, much less than half the capacity of the park.

Not only would that be disasterous from a publicity point of view by stopping people who have essentially paid for almost unlimited access to the park. You can't just stop people who have literally paid in advance to enter the park when they wish, from entering while at the same time allowing people to pay upfront to enter. That is suicide for any business.

Parks operate on thin margins as it is. Even limiting half the amount of paying customers whilst only letting them in will mean the park struggles to make a profit. Operational costs are fairly consistent.

This is also assuming the park will open at all. Unlikely at this moment in time.

I dont think you understand. The park will struggle to make a profit when half full. So you suggest to stop season pass holders as that will half the numbers. That then puts the park in the exact same place I originally stated and that you are commenting against. Forgive me if have missed something but you've just made a point against my point where your point is the same point I made that you commented against.
Just revalidate the season passes and maps to 2021. They don’t loose out then by not being used this season

Nothing to complain about.

This works on the (flawed) idea that at full capacity, parks only make a tiny amount of revenue. If that were true, then parks would always close outside school holidays, all weekdays etc., times when attendance is much, much less than half the capacity of the park.

Well no, because they rely on up selling, reducing capacity, reduced opening times ect, many mitigating factors, to try lower the operating costs when times are quiet. Parks do make a profit but margins are fairly thin, especially in this country. I think that is fairly obvious to see, compare UK park investment now to back in the booming 90's. Parks make no where near now compared to what they used to. That is reflected in the level of investments from then to now.

The economic conditions in the UK have not been favorable to parks and other places in the UK in the last few decades. Operational costs have soured. While income has not rose anywhere nearly as fast. Resulting in margins much thinner. These are issues outside the parks control. But these are some of the reasons it wouldn't be economically viable to operate a massively reduced capacity park for extended periods of time.

Last edited:
How would they even be able to do that, realistically? It's impossible to maintain social distancing in a theme park, especially in peak season during the summer. Anyone who thinks otherwise is living in fantasy land.

Not Fantasy Land... Fantasy World please - a nice throwback to the pre-X-Sector days! How many of us remember exiting the Black Hole to be confronted by the SW4 construction fence & "Operative 242" in his orange uniform. Back in the days when Towers made an effort on theming / whipping up excitement (Air & Wicker-Man being possible exceptions).

With Annual pass holders they can just like the season pass holders can only visit midweek and if they limit the amount of people in the park pass holders have to book date slots online and if you turn up without a online booking ticket you will be turned away.

That’s why to social gathering is totally relaxed I can only see families from the same household been allowed in the park to the 2021 season.

Towers won’t fall it will push through till next season. I really do think Merlin will open hotels before parks and try and recoup some money but I can’t see the Merlin portfolio going bust. Smaller parks definitely tho.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.