2022 Speculation

Discussion in 'Future Discussion' started by Skyscraper, 30th Jun 2021.

1. Squiggs

Squiggs TS Site Team Team Member

Something popped up on my newsfeed this morning, which seems like it could be relevant. Merlin are launching a standalone Peter Rabbit attraction at Blackpool next year.

It got me wondering, if Merlin are already working on more in depth Peter Rabbit attractions/theming elsewhere, might an extended Peter Rabbit area in CBeebies land be a possibility? Peter Rabbit as an IP would lend itself to an adventure playground and the types of attractions they are developping for Blackpool also seem play based.

Not to mention his current attraction is right next door and a second Peter Rabbit attraction would mean they're not paying out for an extra IP, which certainly seems like the sort of thing Merlin would do.

2. Jb85

Jb85 TowersStreet Member

Bring back the ice show!!

3. rob666

rob666 TowersStreet Member

...and the dancing fountains in a shed.

4. JAperson

JAperson TowersStreet Member

This sounds fairly likely to me. A sort of Peter Rabbit sub-land inside of CBeebies Land and I think it could work quite nicely. Sounds very possible and logical to me.

Trooper Looper and Skyscraper like this.
  5. s_g_k

s_g_k TowersStreet Member

Wasn’t sure where to post this so apologies if it’s the wrong place, but there’s been a planning application submitted to repair and maintain the Swiss Cottage and to potentially reopen the building for f&b/memorabilia purposes.

This development is quite personal to me because when my grandad moved to the U.K. from Jamaica in the 50s to join the army as a chef, his first job once he left service was as a chef in the Swiss Cottage restaurant - a job he had until he retired. I’d love to have a nosey around in there!

Edit: planning URL here: http://publicaccess.staffsmoorlands.gov.uk/portal/servlets/ApplicationSearchServlet?PKID=155244

Last edited: 26th Nov 2021 at 9:58 PM
  6. JAperson

That's really good news. I've always thought it was massively underused and I'd love for it to be in use again.

Skyscraper, MaxPower and s_g_k like this.
  7. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
  8. s_g_k

Yeah that does seem a little odd. Along with CATCF too! Its clearly a very old site plan which I’m surprised has got through to be published.

That said though, out of all the things I thought that Alton Towers would be doing for 2022 and beyond, this was not one of them.

Skyscraper likes this.
  9. Plastic Person

Plastic Person TowersStreet Member

I think @GaryH has been suggesting this for as long as I've posted on theme park forums. If you wish hard enough!

GaryH and Skyscraper like this.
  10. Squiggs

It's not too unusual for older site plans to be used for the 'location plans' in AT planning permissions. I'm guessing they have an agreement with the local authotiry regarding what maps they are allowed to use for this purpose.

Those more detailed 2006 plans still turn up occasionally on applications but more often than not I think it's a 2014 plan that is used now.

11. JAperson

That's really interesting. I do have a question though, do you know how often they commission a full park map that's suitable for planning applications because you suggest its quite rare? You think they'd do it fairly often, such as whenever there's a decent size change?

Skyscraper likes this.
  12. GaryH

GaryH TowersStreet Member

Would be great to see it being used again, either as a food outlet or a little museum open now and then for interested in that kinda stuff!

JAperson and Skyscraper like this.
  13. Squiggs

I don't rightly know tbh. From observation one seems to appear roughly every 8 years, but I couldn't tell you if that is on a regular cycle or if it is just related to upcoming developments (for example in order to apply for Thirteen they needed a map that included Rita)

JAperson and Skyscraper like this.
  14. JAperson

Yeah I think your probably right. Id say 8 years or whenever a big development that requires the change. I do think its odd they are aloud to submit applications with slightly wrong information

Skyscraper likes this.
  15. Steve74

Steve74 TowersStreet Member

Seeing as Towers Street Bar and Grill has opened for the Christmas event, could it be a sign it'll be open permanently next season as well?

16. s_g_k

It will be fantastic if it was. Bar prices are quite reasonable too! (For a theme park, anyway :))

17. Danny

Danny Gugu Rides’ Number 1 Fan

Favourite Ride:
    Unknown - Parque dos Elefantes

Photos I've just taken down in CBeebies Land. The banners now have chalk boards and visuals on.

Playground equipment still present behind.

18. rs1600xx

rs1600xx TowersStreet Member

I remember at the end of the 2020 season there was a guy who came into the bar area drawing up plans for the bar and I was told they intended to use it as an F&B outlet full time as they use to

Skyscraper likes this.
  19. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    Has any sort of removal taken place, or is the play area still exactly as it was at the end of 2021?

Sorry, I only ask because it’s a little hard to tell with all the snow on the ground in the above construction photo.

Skyscraper likes this.
  20. s_g_k

There’s certainly been some unexpected news/changes over the past couple of days. Swiss Cottage refurbishment…Towers Street Bar and Grill open again…next thing we’ll see is some construction walls going up around Air’s tunnel and planning approval for a cross valley coaster :D

Joking aside, both of these enhancements were totally unexpected from my perspective but they undoubtedly will enhance the overall experience.