• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2023] The Curse at Alton Manor

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Let's hope they'll start auctioning props next year if they are stripping a good 70% of it!! Would love to have one of the screaming heads installed on my wall XD
The lunatic that pops out from the cave and the first ghoul you see always gave me the heebee jeebies and I'd like the lunatic with that laugh audio (Keith Sparks was it?)

They could reuse the moving eyes of the giant for Nemesis as there is the idea of Nemesis looking at you! :p

The lunatic that pops out from the cave and the first ghoul you see always gave me the heebee jeebies and I'd like the lunatic with that laugh audio (Keith Sparks was it?)

They could reuse the moving eyes of the giant for Nemesis as there is the idea of Nemesis looking at you! :p
Unfortunately the Giant was removed only after a few years the ride opened.

I was wondering when you would bring up the fantasy auction topic again….
I'm just saying since Drayton Manor did it with pirate Adventure after a few years of its abandonment. Same with Bubbleworks. It would've thought that Duel/HH would have a very similar league of fans as the previous two have.

I'm just saying since Drayton Manor did it with pirate Adventure after a few years of its abandonment. Same with Bubbleworks. It would've thought that Duel/HH would have a very similar league of fans as the previous two have.
They may well do an auction eventually.

However, recent history would suggest that it may not be imminent. The Flume's auction was a good year after its closure, and CATCF's was later.

Did they completely strip Pirate adventure? What's left of it inside the building now?

Did they completely strip Pirate adventure? What's left of it inside the building now?
I think the pre drop scene is mostly stripped. The indoor queue is mostly intact. The Scene after the drop is partly intact, the burning village is gone, along with the blacksmith and Pub. The dungeons are gone, The Galleon battle scene is fully intact, and the scenes after that are stripped out.

I think the pre drop scene is mostly stripped. The indoor queue is mostly intact. The Scene after the drop is partly intact, the burning village is gone, along with the blacksmith and Pub. The dungeons are gone, The Galleon battle scene is fully intact, and the scenes after that are stripped out.
Shame, what is left will probably be in a bad way now

Still undecided on whether this ride is being completely gutted or not. Something tells me they'd be shouting from the roof tops if it was going to be a brand new ride...

Shame, what is left will probably be in a bad way now

Still undecided on whether this ride is being completely gutted or not. Something tells me they'd be shouting from the roof tops if it was going to be a brand new ride...
Yeah, I'm still expecting it to be something Lome they did from 2002-2003, but a tad little extra. If the ride was going to be completely transformed to an unrecognisable state, I'm sure they'd announced Duels last operating date for Guests to be aware. It wouldn't make sense for them to say nothing and gut the whole thing. GP really wouldn't be happy with not knowing about it and wouldn't give the marketing team a good rep.

Yeah, I'm still expecting it to be something Lome they did from 2002-2003, but a tad little extra. If the ride was going to be completely transformed to an unrecognisable state, I'm sure they'd announced Duels last operating date for Guests to be aware. It wouldn't make sense for them to say nothing and gut the whole thing. GP really wouldn't be happy with not knowing about it and wouldn't give the marketing team a good rep.
The thing is, Towers are typically quite reticent when it comes to announcing attraction closures. In recent times, only Nemesis, Corkscrew and Black Hole have ever had announced closures, and Duel was not exactly a headline attraction.

I don't think that the fact that they didn't announce Duel's closure, or that they're being secretive about what's happening inside, should necessarily be taken as an indicator that the ride will remain mostly the same.

For a non-major investment, I'd actually say that this retheme is being marketed fairly extensively. The marketing is certainly more extensive than I remember happening with, say, Bubbleworks in 2016. Or Galactica in 2015. Or most other non-major investments at Towers in recent history.

The thing is, Towers are typically quite reticent when it comes to announcing attraction closures. In recent times, only Nemesis, Corkscrew and Black Hole have ever had announced closures, and Duel was not exactly a headline attraction.

I don't think that the fact that they didn't announce Duel's closure, or that they're being secretive about what's happening inside, should necessarily be taken as an indicator that the ride will remain mostly the same.

For a non-major investment, I'd actually say that this retheme is being marketed fairly extensively. The marketing is certainly more extensive than I remember happening with, say, Bubbleworks in 2016. Or Galactica in 2015. Or most other non-major investments at Towers in recent history.
I'd agree with you, IF IT DIDNT CLOSE DURING THE SEASON!!

If it operated until the last day of the Season, that'd make sense, but they decided to close it randomly one day without giving out a proper hint on it outside of a chalk board on the ride that was stupidly vague. Guests would've wanted do ride Duel in scarefest for obvious reasons, but nope, they can't, and no one knows why. When I went this scarefest, every guest in the area excluding 2-5 didn't even knew it was shut and were really disappointed and were slightly angry that they weren't even told or why it shut.

That's not a reaction you wanna get from your Guests tower's.

I'd agree with you, IF IT DIDNT CLOSE DURING THE SEASON!!

If it operated until the last day of the Season, that'd make sense, but they decided to close it randomly one day without giving out a proper hint on it outside of s chalk board on the ride that was stupidly vague. Guests would've wanted do ride Duel in scarecrow for obvious reasons, but nope, they can't, and no one knows why. When I went this scarefest, every guest in the area excluding 2-5 didn't even knew it was shut and were really disappointed and were slightly angry thar they weren't even told or why it shut.

That's not a reaction you wanna get from your Guests tower's.
I'm not sure that necessarily makes any difference.

The Flume closed permanently on 10th October 2015, so the entirety of Scarefest was still to come at that point. The park did say that it was "closing for the season"... but that implied that it was reopening in 2016, and there was no acknowledgement of its permanent removal from the park until February 2016.

Toyland Tours closed in June, so the whole summer season and Halloween were still ahead of it. From what I can gather, Alton Towers did not announce that one either, and I'd argue that CATCF was a pretty drastic metamorphosis, with a radically different theme being applied and a whole new separate ride system being bolted onto the end.

In fact, I'd actually argue that the mid-season closure makes it more likely to be a bigger redevelopment, if anything. If it were a smaller one with most things being kept the same, surely they could have contained it to the closed season, no? The conversion from The Haunted House to Duel was done entirely in the closed season, for some idea, and that involved demolishing and replacing a not insignificant portion of the ride, refurbishing the remaining HH scenes, and fitting a brand new interactive blaster system.

Given Towers' reliability woes this season with the likes of Hex and Enterprise, I'm sure they wouldn't have shut Duel in September unless they absolutely needed to.

For everyone's sanity please can the same points about announcing the closure and hopes for an auction not be repeated each week. There have been no updates. Your thoughts were valid the first time you both said it, they don't need to be posted again and again. Alton Towers has anytime between now and start of the new season to announce what's happening to the ride.

It's gone from being slightly annoying, to funny, to ignorable, to starting to get worried people are becoming too obsessed for your own health over this one attraction. What if it reopens and everything is gone? The world will still turn. I mean it sympathetically. I really loved the ride and its history, but we all enjoyed it for what it was worth and it's important to learn to move on. That's true whether the closure was announced or not — it closed, and we don't know yet what the future is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to post this on here, but it seems that someone was too lazy to move a 2D sketch of the roofed Tomb to its proper place XD. Its from the new Map Showing all the events, and it seems that The Tomb was moved from its regular position.

Not sure if this belongs on the Grammatical Errors thread or not, so I just posted it here.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221125-165828_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20221125-165828_Twitter.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.