• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Nemesis Reborn: Construction and Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I wonder when was the first time John ever heard of Phalanx, possibly when Sub Terra opened, I doubt he had any involvement with the author of the comic, that wouldve been the retail/marketing teams' thang

I wonder when was the first time John ever heard of Phalanx, possibly when Sub Terra opened, I doubt he had any involvement with the author of the comic, that wouldve been the retail/marketing teams' thang

Maybe, but at the time he was a director in Tussauds not just a creative so I think he would have known about it even if he didn’t develop that concept?

How much was the backstory explained before closure? None. That's what I expect long term. Some nice promo backstory stuff, some ents guys in the first year, probably make the fireworks about it and then it goes back to how it basically was: a great ride with a simple alien/monster theme

Maybe, but at the time he was a director in Tussauds not just a creative so I think he would have known about it even if he didn’t develop that concept?
It was a year after the ride opened that comic was made so don't know. One detail in a piece of merchandise seems a bit minute for a senior director to be aware of, because it wasn't in his original backstory and all that

But either way it's hard to interpret what he might have meant. He might have just been loose with words.

He also spent a lot of the interview saying along the lines 'when rides have been revamped for the sake of advertising an existing ride as new, they have sometimes not been as successful', but wasn't referring to any specific ride there.

Those were his personal thoughts anyway.

It seemed like he had a point to make, a positive one though, that he loves the plans for the revamped theme.

Last edited:
A demo is any version of a track released before the final version. There's bound to have been several different Nemesis demos over time - just because it sounds more polished than you'd expect, doesn't make it not a demo.
A demo is an initial (usually low cost) recording made before deciding to produce the final track. He would have produced a demo to get John Wardley's approval then gone ahead with the time and expense of the full version. This is a working mix and would have been used in the promo media because the final wasn't ready yet.

I've handled lots of demos and mixes, with electronic music now it's only a pedantic difference really.

I'm sure there will be a Nemesis 'demo' out there but we'll probably never hear it

I don't see why they'd need to add more to that backstory already.

It wouldn't be needed to add enhanced theming... Could add lighting to the Nemesis "eye" for instance (as was done for the large spider in Alton Manor.)

(Would be even cooler if it could fire beams per the original Nemesis advert, though I can't see that being possible!)

Other forms of lighting treatment could be added to the Nemesis station/monster... again there are some examples in Alton Manor that could clearly work...

It wouldn't be needed to add enhanced theming... Could add lighting to the Nemesis "eye" for instance (as was done for the large spider in Alton Manor.)

(Would be even cooler if it could fire beams per the original Nemesis advert, though I can't see that being possible!)

Other forms of lighting treatment could be added to the Nemesis station/monster... again there are some examples in Alton Manor that could clearly work...
I'm just confused since we've seen so much of Phalanx used around Nemesis and being used for marketing on its last day, but they weren't part of the original backstory. The backstory was about excavators discovering the monoliths and the beast, then it got out of control, creating a Sci-Fi junkyard setting. JW saying it'll be the original Backstory and then we have Alton heavily using Phalanx for marketing really confuses me at the moment, that's all.

I'm just confused since we've seen so much of Phalanx used around Nemesis and being used for marketing on its last day, but they weren't part of the original backstory. [...] JW saying it'll be the original Backstory and then we have Alton heavily using Phalanx for marketing really confuses me at the moment, that's all.

I agree. Without a pre-show though it would have to be vague?

In which case I'm not sure how the Phalanx could be substantially incorporated. I'm eager to see elements reinstated/refurbished (like coloured water,) adding enhancements to the existing (such as the lighting I mentioned) and a overhauled station interior...

Whether the Phalanx, the MoD (per Wardley's original backstory) or whatever other "secret organisation" anyone cares to invent are involved in investigating/managing the Nemesis monster is neither here nor there...

I'm just confused since we've seen so much of Phalanx used around Nemesis and being used for marketing on its last day, but they weren't part of the original backstory.
Straight from the horses mouth, this is the original backstory:

Were they named the Phalanx originally? No. But how important is that name when the basic concept of what Phalanx are as a group is most definitely in the original backstory. A military group (The MoD in the original document) has always played a role in the excavation of the creature, Phalanx is just a nice name for them that rolls off the tongue.

Hope this clears up any confusion, I never ever ever want to get this dorky about rollercoaster lore ever again.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.