• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Nemesis Reborn: Construction and Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I wonder if retrofitting magnetic brakes is beyond the realms of possibility, seems a little odd to continue on with a relatively outdated and more maintenance intensive form of braking for another 30 years if they have an opportunity to change it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I can't say for certain, but the brakes take a similar amount of size to friction brakes, but would require a new train design, which B&M may not be able to supply. In terms of physical space it should be possible though.

I can't say for certain, but the brakes take a similar amount of size to friction brakes, but would require a new train design, which B&M may not be able to supply. In terms of physical space it should be possible though.
Monster at Gröna Lund is a new B&M invert with magnetic breaks but the old style invert trains, so should be possible (as it’s highly likely new trains are coming to Nemesis). Makes sense to reduce maintenance demand for the future whilst they are carrying out such an extensive refurb.

I guess in this day and age, a refurb is just as good as brand new, plus more carbon friendly. I assumed they would be getting new ones, but maybe they will just refurb the old ones,

As for magnetic breaks, very possible Nemesis will get them, I guess it depends on if Alton Towers have requested them / budgeted for them. They will reduce maintenance costs and man power in the long run.

I think it is almost a certainty it will have new trains, even though most parts of the trains do get replaced over the years, the chassis does not, the critical backbone of the whole train. These will be the original, so this is why I can see the trains being new.

We could get an extensive refurb of the trains, but I think new trains are more likely personally.

Long time lurker, check and read the forum multiple times per day, but never post.

Anyway, I was on the park today, and as we were leaving and heading back to the car just before 4pm we saw several trailers with track pieces on, plus another trailer with supports on, and several track pieces actually on the tarmac too, plus not long after we had left the main gates and driving home another trailer went past us with a track piece on the back heading towards the park.

Attachments

• PXL_20230518_145203557.jpg
    PXL_20230518_145203557.jpg
    478.3 KB · Views: 74
  • PXL_20230518_145228641.jpg
    PXL_20230518_145228641.jpg
    551.7 KB · Views: 74
  • PXL_20230518_145252639.jpg
    PXL_20230518_145252639.jpg
    525.7 KB · Views: 75
Long time lurker, check and read the forum multiple times per day, but never post.

Anyway, I was on the park today, and as we were leaving and heading back to the car just before 4pm we saw several trailers with track pieces on, plus another trailer with supports on, and several track pieces actually on the tarmac too, plus not long after we had left the main gates and driving home another trailer went past us with a track piece on the back heading towards the park.
Firstly welcome to the forum! Secondly they really aren’t messing about with all these track pieces!

Thought we would of seen more track erected by now! :(
It was always going to be very stop and start. There’s a LOT of concrete work going on with the supports as indicated by the pipe work in site. Plenty of time to go, but just goes to show…anyone who thought this would be up in a matter of weeks was kidding themselves 😅

It was always going to be very stop and start. There’s a LOT of concrete work going on with the supports as indicated by the pipe work in site. Plenty of time to go, but just goes to show…anyone who thought this would be up in a matter of weeks was kidding themselves 😅

My money is still on by the end of summer, track will be complete. Possibly before that. The track will start flying in very soon, not much left in terms of footer work, it is all nearly there. The pipes that can be seen pouring the concrete is one of the final stages of building / re enforcing footers.

From what I am hearing, the wetter than usual spring we've had, has pushed footer work behind schedule slightly. Not helped by the fact some of said footers are at the bottom of a pit where water collects and where the ground will be the wettest after rain fall. If you've seen the site, you'll have seen how wet is has been recently. The upside of said delay though, means there will be a stockpile of track onsite for when they are ready with the footers. Meaning they can just crack on. These delays are all factored into the timeline anyway, so nothing to worry about. They are keen to get the track in ASAP, as there is alot of other work, some time consuming, that needs to take place, non of which can take place until the track is in and the heavy plant out of the way.

Make of this what you will and take it with a pinch of salt, but I am also hearing that the waterfalls will be returning, in what capacity I do not know. But they will apparently be back. There is no point doing anything to those though, until you have the new footers in at a minimum.

Last edited:
My money is still on by the end of summer, track will be complete. Possibly before that. The track will start flying in very soon, not much left in terms of footer work, it is all nearly there. The pipes that can be seen pouring the concrete is one of the final stages of building / re enforcing footers.

From what I am hearing, the wetter than usual spring we've had, has pushed footer work behind schedule slightly. Not helped by the fact some of said footers are at the bottom of a pit where water collects and where the ground will be the wettest after rain fall. If you've seen the site, you'll have seen how wet is has been recently. The upside of said delay though, means there will be a stockpile of track onsite for when they are ready with the footers. Meaning they can just crack on. These delays are all factored into the timeline anyway, so nothing to worry about. They are keen to get the track in ASAP, as there is alot of other work, some time consuming, that needs to take place, non of which can take place until the track is in and the heavy plant out of the way.

Make of this what you will and take it with a pinch of salt, but I am also hearing that the waterfalls will be returning, in what capacity I do not know. But they will apparently be back. There is no point doing anything to those though, until you have the new footers in at a minimum.

The waterfalls never “went”, the just broke.

It’s was almost guaranteed they would get refurbished (maybe even get the pipes back underground), what would be impressive is if they find a way to get the red water back without the risk of colour contamination outside of the site. Im not holding my breath on that one.

I don't think the red water issue is just confined to overflow problems, hence why I can't ever see it returning. To be a completely closed system, it can't run over natural rock and near plant life can it? I know the dye was harmless, but surely it's colour would slowly contaminate the soil outside the area over time just by being in contact with natural rock and plants? Would be thrilled if they managed it though, the red waterfalls and rivers of "blood" were a fantastic integral part of the original experience.

I don't think the red water issue is just confined to overflow problems, hence why I can't ever see it returning. To be a completely closed system, it can't run over natural rock and near plant life can it? I know the dye was harmless, but surely it's colour would slowly contaminate the soil outside the area over time just by being in contact with natural rock and plants? Would be thrilled if they managed it though, the red waterfalls and rivers of "blood" were a fantastic integral part of the original experience.

I don’t think the immediate environment was the worry, I don’t think the dye was long lasting and it was environmentally neutral. Any normal leak of water would enter the deep water table and the dye would decompose as designed before the water resurfaced.

The issue was more related to outside contamination when they had accidental discharges of water. Historically at times of high rain they wouldn’t add the dye in case they had to pump out the pond. The rumour was there was a number of accidental discharges with dye that then impacted neighbouring land. It’s also possible it had an impact on the historic gardens.

If it was only a pump out issue and not a leak issue then theoretically you could add an industrial filter to the outlet but that’s not going to be cheap hence why I doubt it will return. If on the other hand it was an issue with leaking water direct from the pond then there is no way you could seal that quarry completely.

I personally dont think the waterfalls will come back red as they were but i can see with clever lighting they will give the illusion of being red which prevents any sort of contamination and probable reduces costs on groundwork in that area

The waterfalls never “went”, the just broke.

It’s was almost guaranteed they would get refurbished (maybe even get the pipes back underground), what would be impressive is if they find a way to get the red water back without the risk of colour contamination outside of the site. Im not holding my breath on that one.

I struggle to believe that all the separate pumps for all 3 water falls or all the separate pipes for all 3 waterfalls broke at exactly the same time.

I think if they can find a way to filter water when and if it needs to be discharged. The red could come back. I guess it depends how much they want to spend.

Last edited:
I struggle to believe that all the separate pumps for all 3 water falls or all the separate pipes for all 3 waterfalls broke at exactly the same time.

I think if they can find a way to filter water when and if it needs to be discharged. The red could come back. I guess it depends how much they want to spend.

They didn’t they went in sequence.

The lift hill waterfall failed first, the one on the turn prior to the loop soldiered on for a few years though it was barely a trickle by the end.

They didn’t they went in sequence.

The lift hill waterfall failed first, the one on the turn prior to the loop soldiered on for a few years though it was barely a trickle by the end.

Ohhh. That makes far more sense.

I would love them to be red, I will be glad to just see them back full stop at this point though. The area feels empty and lacking drama without them.

Last edited:
Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.