• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Nemesis Reborn: Construction and Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Unfortunately people now a days are generally idiots, and I guess now with phones and stuff, people seem stupid enough to jump over a fence to go grab their phone.

I’ve seen it before on park and I know staff who say it’s a regular thing. Which is why fences are so high now around ride areas. Most of those around nemesis were made higher a few years ago anyway.

Alton’s obsession with 7ft high fences post smiler is bizarre.

Afaik there’s no HSE requirement, and it
survived 30 years without issue and yet they’ve butchered KC for god knows what reason.

They could have done a far more aesthetic solution but the high fences in Katanga was because people kept being idiots.

On the bridge in hot weather barely a season went by without someone deliberately jumping into the rapids.

On the bit above the exit to the RMT tunnel people would sit over the edge or dangle their kids over the edge.

As I say they could have done something far more aesthetic and themed but the reason is because this country is populated by morons.

Tbf the Merlin fence obsession started long before the Smiler incident and seemed to be driven by the incidents at Warwick Castle and Chessington for which they were fined over £500,000 for H&S breaches.

Or they could just.. have proper upkeep? The Chessington one said the fence gave way

Last edited:
Tbf the Merlin fence obsession started long before the Smiler incident and seemed to be driven by the incidents at Warwick Castle and Chessington for which they were fined over £500,000 for H&S breaches.

The Merlin obsession with fences started back in 2002 when AIr opened. The fences in the queue / viewing plaza that border onto ride areas were originally 1.4m (which was the required height). As Air suffered what Alton liked to call "technical anomalies"on a regular basis in 2002, when the ride went down the morons would jump the fences to exit the queue via the ride area. This made re-starts of the ride even slower as the ride area had to be checked.

Then the solution was found - make the fences even higher so the morons cannot jump them. It looks ugly and the guests must feel caged in, but that is the Merlin way now.

The Merlin obsession with fences started back in 2002 when AIr opened. The fences in the queue / viewing plaza that border onto ride areas were originally 1.4m (which was the required height). As Air suffered what Alton liked to call "technical anomalies"on a regular basis in 2002, when the ride went down the morons would jump the fences to exit the queue via the ride area. This made re-starts of the ride even slower as the ride area had to be checked.

Then the solution was found - make the fences even higher so the morons cannot jump them. It looks ugly and the guests must feel caged in, but that is the Merlin way now.
The RAP lines actually still have the 1.4m Fences but the newer rides have the higher (Galagtica)

Wasn't just because of the breakdowns, people wanted to exit to the car park without having to walk all the way to Towers Street. Air should have had better fencing around the ride area from day one really, better to assume idiots will try and enter the area. Although two layers of fencing is probably the best method, the tall fence around the ride area and shorter fencing to define the queue.

...was simply walking back along the queue not an option they considered?
Not when they were high up on the Air queue mound (near the ice cream stall) & they could see that by jumping the fence into that area with the pesky track in it they could be out of the queue much quicker than walking back through the queue line.

I'll be honest, I think another reason for higher fences isn't just for design (Although it does work) what I think it that maybe due to other parks around the world having accidents with people entering ride areas to retrieve personal items (Which ride operators always warn you/take off you if they see any) and then either have the ride shut down as said person retrieving their lost item has lost either their head or been severally injured... Or they're just going heavily into H&S for their ride post Smiler as they don't want another accident like that happening again.

BWAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!!! I’ve had toy helicopters bigger than that! Hardly giving of military VIBES, is it?
As an Easter Egg to when Treasure Hunt landed at Towers in the 80s, maybe they'll put a mannequin in it wearing a pink jumpsuit to represent Anneka Rice!

Regarding the queueline if it is being reopened, I wonder if the new "normal" queue will take you left at the entrance, up and round to the lift hill turnaround, down the side of the lift hill to come out in the bottom left of the pic, round the turnaround to then join at the normal place on the bridge into the station? Fasttrack could then use the original queueline from the entrance down under the first drop past the loop then up the steps to the point where you used to turn around onto the bridge? Means less interaction between people and the station building leading to less vandalism/damage of it?

Also worth noting is that in those photos the extended queue line is being reused and the queue could be rerouted from the top of lift hill over the pit and around the helicopter stall turn before walking over the bridge straight into the station. Looks like the queue around the vertical loop and against the station will no longer be used...

That could possibly be a way for RAP to be integrated in easily without needing to batch RAP riders in on the wrong side of the platform and reduce the throughput. FT could use the previous line to the right from the entrance, and RAP could use some of the plaza within the ride area and be merged in at the current FT merge point, with FT being held and merged in there too.

It would, however, lose some of the awesome interactions and feeling of being properly “in amongst the action” that Nemesis’ previous queue had. Although with that being said, you would still have interaction with the first drop and the stall turn.

Regarding the queueline if it is being reopened, I wonder if the new "normal" queue will take you left at the entrance, up and round to the lift hill turnaround, down the side of the lift hill to come out in the bottom left of the pic, round the turnaround to then join at the normal place on the bridge into the station? Fasttrack could then use the original queueline from the entrance down under the first drop past the loop then up the steps to the point where you used to turn around onto the bridge? Means less interaction between people and the station building leading to less vandalism/damage of it?
Would make sense, and hopefully ambulant RAP would use that as well.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.