• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Nemesis Reborn: Construction and Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Wicker Man has had a fair bit of TLC done. In 2021, for instance, they replaced all of the smoke machines in the ride tunnels, pre-ride room and brake run shed. That ride effectively still looks as good as new almost 5 years on.

It’s not like Tussauds did an awful lot more TLC than Merlin, even back in the Pearson days. Wasn’t the reason for the demise of much of the original Chessington theming attributed to Tussauds’ poor maintenance of it?

I don’t think that is exclusive to Merlin, and I also don’t think it’s fair to say that Merlin do nothing in the way of general upkeep, as they have maintained things.
Wicker Man is needing maintenance like any woodie so that's a forgone conclusion for it looking fresh.

What annoyed me was during Air's transformation into Galactica that they didn't seem to give the track a repaint in what would've been a good time for that happen and the fact the track was left untouched just yells out laziness IMO though TBF, I suppose the park was cashstraped following the Smiler crash and somethings had to be cut such as possible repaint though honestly I'm not sure if that was even part of the plan.

If the park did give the coasters a repaint or theming touch up say once every 5-6 years just to keep them fresh then honestly we wouldn't be having this debate. The reason why some are fearful that no matter what colour Nemesis' track will be, Merlin will likely will let it rot and so much past experience over the past many years has given many low opinions about things unless the new ownership decides to rectify this issue.

Wicker Man is needing maintenance like any woodie so that's a forgone conclusion for it looking fresh.

What annoyed me was during Air's transformation into Galactica that they didn't seem to give the track a repaint in what would've been a good time for that happen and the fact the track was left untouched just yells out laziness IMO though TBF, I suppose the park was cashstraped following the Smiler crash and somethings had to be cut such as possible repaint though honestly I'm not sure if that was even part of the plan.

If the park did give the coasters a repaint or theming touch up say once every 5-6 years just to keep them fresh then honestly we wouldn't be having this debate. The reason why some are fearful that no matter what colour Nemesis' track will be, Merlin will likely will let it rot and so much past experience over the past many years has given many low opinions about things unless the new ownership decides to rectify this issue.
That doesn’t necessarily extend to thematic maintenance, though. Only the track on a woodie needs to be maintained; just because Wicker Man is a wooden coaster, that doesn’t oblige Merlin to maintain the theming any more than they would for a steel coaster, so they’ve certainly gone above and beyond with Wicker Man’s thematic maintenance.

I think they did jet wash the track when they built Galactica, in fairness, and it did look all shiny and new after they did that. It’s not like they didn’t touch the track at all when they did the Galactica revamp; they did give it a very good jet wash. They could have done absolutely nothing, but they didn’t.

I don’t think any park repaints its coasters every 5-6 years. Even somewhere like Europa Park doesn’t repaint their coasters that often, to my knowledge.

I wouldn’t class keeping things working in a park that charges up to £65 a ticket as ‘above and beyond’.
It’s more than they could have done; they could have just left it to rot after year 1, so I’m thankful that they have put the effort into maintaining it.

I like this theory that if fans jump the gun and complain about bad decisions before they happen, it motivates the parks to avoid wrong turns just for the satisfaction of proving people wrong. I live in hope that my futile pedantry will provide a useful service one day

I think its likely this will be the new track colour. The whole RAL colour codes thing looks like a little bit of marketing to appease us geeks (I remember the Merlin creative lead bloke whos name I have forgotten posted on twitter around the time of Nemesis closing about RAL colours, even though I think it was maybe referring to the Chessington B&M).
I actually quite like the fact they do these kind of teasers and do actually enjoy the super niche speculation it creates on here, even if some don't seem to..

Colour wise the black/red/grey could look quite cool in my opinion, although those photos of how it looked in 94 do look amazing!

I like this theory that if fans jump the gun and complain about bad decisions before they happen, it motivates the parks to avoid wrong turns just for the satisfaction of proving people wrong. I live in hope that my futile pedantry will provide a useful service one day

I mean you have impressive levels of self assurance that your opinion is correct I will give you that.

As for the black track I have enjoyed watching the mania on here the last 24hrs but I will say I am ok with it if it is serving a purpose in the new angle they are taking with the theme. I don’t expect a carbon copy replacement here and the video at the end of fireworks clearly show they intended to make a change with the theme rather than just spruce it up. Whether that works or not we won’t know until it opens, but the creative team at Merlin can do great things if they get the budget. They just don’t often get the budget unfortunately.

I mean you have impressive levels of self assurance that your opinion is correct I will give you that.
Come on I couldnt have written a more ironic post if I tried

Seriously though it's not mania really is it, there was more mania about the ride closing when it isn't even.

Personally I keep saying I will wait and see the finished thing, there's plenty room for improvement, but everything is pointing at Nemesis 2: Rise of Phalanx

Last edited by a moderator:
I like how Nemesis 2 hasn't even been fully fabricated yet and we're already discussing the inevitable rot and lack of upkeep that it will experience over the next 3 decades.
I think that almost all people here is used to the low standard of maintenance Merlin gives most of their attractions.

Actually, upon looking at photos of O.G Nemesis track arriving on the park in 1993, I have just noticed that from pictures I've noticed that when they arrived in the car park that they were all painted in a dark grey colour not that far off with this track that is supposedly Nemesis' new track before it was painted into its serpentine white colour. Could the same thing be happening here in which the track is repainted when it arrives at Towers? I wish I had a link to show the image in question of when the track first arrived to prove my point unless someone has it as that might throw a cat among the pigeons with our theories on here.

Draw your own conclusions, but: "Once the proposed works are complete, the replacement track and columns would follow the approved layout and design and would have the same external appearance."

Draw your own conclusions, but: "Once the proposed works are complete, the replacement track and columns would follow the approved layout and design and would have the same external appearance."

Seeing as the colour scheme is not generally something that makes or breaks a planning application, specific to these sorts of cases anyway. Due to that, in my opinion, that statement refers to the physical layout and design of the track and supports, rather than the colour.

Maybe so, but it'd be damn brave to significantly change the colour and not mention it. In the case of black it would also be potentially stupid not to mention it in the application as that colour is less intrusive than the existing.

We will know for sure as soon as they disassemble the retained track sections, blast and paint them black I guess.

Worth noting that if the track is black - that's darker and therefore less visible than the one being replaced. It'd be impossible to argue that a darker colour would have a greater visual impact than the previous colour which had already been approved.

If it were highlighter yellow or something, maybe there'd be an argument to have, but black? Doubtful.

Actually, upon looking at photos of O.G Nemesis track arriving on the park in 1993, I have just noticed that from pictures I've noticed that when they arrived in the car park that they were all painted in a dark grey colour not that far off with this track that is supposedly Nemesis' new track before it was painted into its serpentine white colour. Could the same thing be happening here in which the track is repainted when it arrives at Towers? I wish I had a link to show the image in question of when the track first arrived to prove my point unless someone has it as that might throw a cat among the pigeons with our theories on here.
The one thing I'd say is that there is already what appears to be a grey primer coat beneath the black track seen. I'm assuming that the dark grey the original Nemesis track was sent in was a primer coat.

The black track seen already has things like gloss applied to it, which would suggest that it is the final coat.
EDIT - I think this might be the picture you're looking for: https://towersstreet.com/construction/nemesis/#constructionexpand5

That grey looks more like a primer coat, and doesn't look to have had gloss applied to it like the black track seen at Clermont Steel Fabricators. When gloss has been applied, that is usually the final coat.

I would also say that going from grey to black is not a significant change in colour.

The darker black will certainly sit less obtrusively I would have thought. As the grey was quite a bright grey colour.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.