• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Nemesis Reborn: Construction and Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Don’t shoot me down on this but do you think the planning permission is for structural work needed in the base of the footings to support the new trains as I hear they heavier than the current trains.
Why would it need new trains? The track and supports are closing in on 30 years old, the trains are not.

It's possible, Hulk did, after all, but feels lower priority.

Don’t shoot me down on this but do you think the planning permission is for structural work needed in the base of the footings to support the new trains as I hear they heavier than the current trains.

Monster at Grona Lund uses the 'classic' trains, the trains found on Banshee with vest restraints would potentially be too wide for the current clearances.

I'd certainly imagine there's a good chance any current supports the park have had issues with would be replaced during this retracking as well.

I can't think what this could be other than a major overhaul which will leave the structure in a slightly changed form. Likely to be alterations to the loop support configuration I'd guess.

I was thinking… is there any other kind of maintenance besides a retrack or some sort of major structural overhaul that the park would even have to request planning permission for?

@Trooper Looper You haven't been to Chessington but you've ridden Banshee?
No, I'm just using info from mostly people who have ridden Banshee, with most of them saying that it's some of their least favourite B&Ms out there, because of the new smoothing techniques being digital and the new trains. But I'm so happy they brought back the classic design on Monster though, and I've heard if feels like an proper old school invert, with some good laterals.

If it is for a retrack, I wonder if Towers will use the chance to do a few changes to theming and queue line such as it doing the original route around the ride or, dare I say it, perhaps a rebuild of the Nemesis beast itself to be more larger lets say. Always didn't know why you ended up ending the ride going up Nemesis' backside which is perhaps my only criticism of it unless someone could correct me.

Actually the other day I did have a somewhat plausible idea regarding those big green eyes on Nemesis. I know ideally we'd like to see them be anomatronic to blink and such but honestly we can't expect Merlin to maintain it but I did have a solution based on the old portraits in HH.

If you remember the eyes in the portraits followed you around the room and was a low tech but still unnerving feeling. I wonder if it'd be possible to have a similar technique used for Nemesis though I'm not sure if it is possible unless I can be corrected.

That all said, it might not be a bad idea for example if you are waiting in the queue line and looking up at those big eyes, Nemesis would be looking back at you which would add to the tension of preparing to board and could make it more of a somewhat personal experience for the rider.

Either way, to see Nemesis remastered for her 30th will be hopefully a great occasion for all and maybe they'll dust off some unused ideas Nemesis off the shelve that never made the final design for now? Many ideas never truly die, just await a new opportunity. ;)

Maybe they want to use a very large scaffold tent to cover the pit area while the work takes place...lots of building firms do that for reroofing projects.
They would not be at the mercy of the weather then during the work.
That's a good point actually Rob. Would definitely required planning permission. Unlikely though as it's not mentioned on the application.

Interested to see what implications this overhaul work has to sw9. If they're completing refurbishing nemesis then surely construction won't begin on another ride any time soon

I'd imagine this is little more than a formality. Nemesis is after all a modern 1994 structure. Even works to the Swiss Cottage, a Victorian structure, needed little more than a cursory rubber stamp.

I'm not sure that you should read too much into the Swiss Cottage planning permission, given that it relates to listed building consent and the council's conservation officer was already involved in the process. It's a fairly unique situation, which is quite different to normal planning permission.

I think this planning permission might relate to the park's GDPO (General Permitted Development Order) rules.

Nemesis sits within one of the park's GDPO areas, which gives the park predefined planning permission to build and maintain certain amusement structures within certain size constraints. However, those constraints include that the park need planning permission to install plant or machinery that exceeds 25 metres and also any 'building or structure erected, extended, altered or replaced' that would exceed 5 metres above ground level.

I would imagine the wording puts a Nemesis retrack into a reasonably vague grey area.

I think this planning permission might relate to the park's GDPO (General Permitted Development Order) rules.

Nemesis sits within one of the park's GDPO areas, which gives the park predefined planning permission to build and maintain certain amusement structures within certain size constraints. However, those constraints include that the park need planning permission to install plant or machinery that exceeds 25 metres and also any 'building or structure erected, extended, altered or replaced' that would exceed 5 metres above ground level.

I would imagine the wording puts a Nemesis retrack into a reasonably vague grey area.
Which is why they are sensibly checking first. :)

I wonder if they will change the layout in anyway? I hope not but it wouldn’t shock me if they tried to add something. Also, can we see them adding a pre station show at all?

either way - I like many didn’t get to see this ride constructed, my first visit was 1994.

excited to see the works on this, even if it is a re track. Do we think they will effectively demolish it first before rebuilding it, or replace section by section?

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.