• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2024 Theme Park Trip Plans

Hi guys. Now 2024 is finally upon us, I thought it might be a nice time to discuss what theme park trip plans we have for the upcoming year. So, what parks are you guys thinking of visiting this year?

I'll get the ball rolling with some of my provisional trip plans for the year.

Nothing at all is set in stone at the moment, but some of my provisional plans for the year are as follows…
Highly Probable
  • PortAventura World - The big thing for this year will be my first ever trip to PortAventura World in Spain, a resort I’ve wanted to visit for many years! PortAventura Park and Ferrari Land both look like beautiful, well-themed parks with lots to do, and I’m excited for a number of headline attractions at PortAventura World. I’m most notably excited for Shambhala, a coaster that has been on my bucket list for as long as I can remember, but I’m also really looking forward to Red Force and some of the other draws at PortAventura!
  • Alton Towers - I don’t think there’s ever any doubt around me visiting Alton Towers at some point during the year. It’s the park I’ve visited the most by far, and a year without a visit to Alton frankly wouldn’t feel complete at this point! I’m particularly anticipating my visit to Alton Towers next year because we’re finally seeing the return of Nemesis; I can’t wait to get back on this after a whole season of closure! After a highly successful first visit in March 2023, my grandad has also expressed great keenness to return to Alton Towers with us this season; he’s excitedly said to me about how he’s “saving up [his] Tesco vouchers for a ride on Nemesis”, and he seems really keen to return to the park, particularly to ride Nemesis for the first time!
  • Thorpe Park - Similarly to Alton Towers, I don’t think there was ever much doubt around me going to Thorpe Park at some point in 2024. And there’s no way I’m missing out on Thorpe this year, what with the opening of Hyperia, a ride that I’m incredibly excited for! I’m not sure when in the year I’ll go, but I’ll definitely try and get to Thorpe at least once, possibly twice, during 2024!
  • Drayton Manor - With the park constructing an intriguing new Intamin coaster for 2024, as well as revamping Shockwave, I’ll certainly try and get to Drayton Manor at some point during the year. I might try and do a solo train trip to the park like I did in 2022, or if the option is available to me by the summer, I guess I could drive there.
Maybe
  • Legoland Windsor - I was initially not planning to go back to Legoland for Minifigure Speedway, as I didn’t think my parents would want to return there and I’m not entirely sure that I have the front to walk into Legoland as a solo adult visitor. However, my parents seemed more open to the idea of going back to Legoland than I’d anticipated when we were discussing the UK’s new rides for 2024, so perhaps the +2 of Minifigure Speedway will be on the cards for me after all?
  • Oakwood Theme Park - I’ve been quite keen to return to Oakwood ever since Megafobia reopened from its big retrack. I’ve heard brilliant things about Megafobia post-retrack, and I always thought that a retracked Megafobia had potential. My dad was on about me and him going down to the area together so that he could play Tenby golf course and I could visit Oakwood, but that seems to have gone quiet, so I’m putting Oakwood into the “maybe” pile.
  • Blackpool Pleasure Beach - I’ve been on about doing my first ever solo overnight trip to Blackpool on the train for a year or two now. Maybe 2024 will finally be the year? I am probably due a return to Blackpool seeing as I haven’t been since 2019, so it would be nice to go back. However, I must say that as much as I like Blackpool, it perhaps isn’t as much of an imminent draw as other parks in the UK in 2024 seeing as there’s been pretty much nothing new since I last went.
Those are some of my current trip ideas… based on previous years, though, I don’t know whether this is actually an entirely correct or exhaustive list of what I’ll do in 2024! It is certainly open to change at this point… my trips in 2022 and 2023 certainly ended up quite different to my initial predictions!

But I'd be really intrigued to know; what are some of your 2024 theme park trip plans?
Let’s update this midway through the season, shall we? It’s interesting to see what my plans were in January and how they’ve actually panned out since… particularly seeing as I now have some previously unanticipated trip plans for later in the year!

In terms of what I’ve already done this year:
  • Alton Towers (23rd/24th March 2024): As anticipated in January, I did get to Alton Towers and ride the retracked Nemesis not long after it opened. However, I did not necessarily anticipate the park revealing their decision to do the Alton After Dark event with night rides in March, so I knew I had to go for that!
  • Matt N’s Solo South East Jaunt - Legoland Windsor/Thorpe Park (9th/10th June 2024): As anticipated in January, I did return to Thorpe Park, and my “maybe” of Legoland also came true… but it all panned out rather differently to how I’d originally expected! I eventually made the rather bold (for me, anyway) decision to go on my first ever solo overnight trip to the Staines area and do both of these parks in one trip. I had a brilliant trip; I had never planned to visit Legoland on my own, but it was far less embarrassing than I’d feared, and I was glad to get the Minifigure Speedway credits! And while I was spited by Hyperia, I also had a great day at Thorpe!
In terms of what is confirmed to be coming up for me later in the year:
  • Alton Towers (28th July 2024): Due to my dad attending the LIV Golf tournament at the nearby JCB golf course on 28th July, I’m going to have an additional opportunity to visit Alton Towers this year. There’s a good chance that it may be my first time ever visiting Alton Tiwers alone, which should be interesting!
  • Matt N’s Expedition to East Anglia - Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach/Pleasurewood Hills/Joyland (11th-13th August 2024): Rather unexpectedly, I’ve been given the opportunity to visit the theme parks in East Anglia, and East Anglia in general, for the first ever time this August with my parents! It’ll be interesting to tick off two of my remaining unvisited semi-major UK parks in Pleasurewood Hills and Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach, and it’ll also be interesting to ride unique coasters such as Roller Coaster, Cannonball Express and Tyrolean Tubtwist! As well as that, I’ll also finally be riding my first ever stock model Vekoma Boomerang over 100 coasters into the hobby! It really is quite a novelty when you’ve ridden as many UK coasters as I have to go on a trip on home soil and have multiple new theme parks and coasters to visit!
  • Jaunty trip report title TBC - PortAventura/Ferrari Land (9th-12th September 2024): As anticipated in January, I am now confirmed to be going for my first ever visit to PortAventura World in Spain in September with my parents, and I could not be more excited! We’ve got 3 days of tickets to PortAventura and a day at Ferrari Land, we’re staying on site at the Hotel Gold River, and I can’t wait to see what this Spanish resort has to offer! For starters, Shambhala has been an absolutely massive bucket list coaster of mine for years; as a huge fan of B&M Hypers, I’ve always wanted to get on the one that’s commonly said to be the cream of the crop! Red Force, Europe’s tallest and fastest roller coaster, is also hotly anticipated for me, the overall resort just looks so well-themed and to have so many interesting-looking attractions, and overall, I’m just so excited to be getting to another major European theme park after ticking off Europa Park in 2022!
In terms of other things I anticipate doing later in the year, but are not in any way “confirmed” at this stage:
  • I’ll likely go back to Thorpe Park at least once more this year so that I can get on Hyperia. My mum and dad were on about going at some point within the next month or two once it’s settled down and settled in a bit, but even if that doesn’t materialise, I can probably find some means of getting there solo in September, either of my own accord or with my dad if he attends Wentworth again this year. Whatever happens, though, I’m probably not firming up any plans for a Thorpe return until Hyperia has settled down and some of its growing pains have been resolved.
  • I’ll likely go to Drayton Manor at some point later in the year, but that is entirely contingent on their new Intamin being open, and I’m not firming up any plans until we at least get a better idea of when this might be open.
In terms of other plans I mentioned in January:
  • I went to Pembrokeshire in May and Oakwood was unfortunately closed when I was there. I think it’s unlikely that I’ll be going here this year, to be honest.
  • I think it’s unlikely that I’ll be returning to Blackpool Pleasure Beach this year, as there are things higher up my priority list, but I wouldn’t rule it out.
This could all change, though, as I have found in a number of previous years!

March - Legoland and Thorpe (legoland is a bit of a spring tradition, it’s usually our first trip out when I come out of winter hibernation). ✔️

April - Towers (3 days)✔️

May - Oakwood - ✖️ But went to Plopsa instead ✔️ Also did Legoland (mini fig) and Chessington (best day I’ve ever had at Chessington as it was really quiet) Went to Thorpe at some point✔️

June - Drayton and Blackpool✖️Gonna do this in September now but did do Oakwood instead ✔️ Also picked up some embarrassing kiddie creds at Barry Island and Coney Beach✔️

July - Towers - going next week instead

August - no Merlin parks as only have silver passes and difficult to get annual leave for a longer trip so will probably just have to make do with a day at Brean.
Sept - if finances allow, some parks in Europe, either a selection in Belgium (thinking possibly Plopsa, Toverland, Walibi B and one other) or Parc Asterix and Plopsa land de Panne. I’m itching to go to Parc Asterix and get on Toutatis, one child is desperate to go to Plopsa and get on Ride to Happiness. ✖️ Was hoping to do a multi park trip. Won’t be doing this now but am planning on Blackpool, Mingoland and Drayton. At least RTH is ticked off

Still itching to get to Parc asterix for Toutatis but this will probably have to wait for next year

So far this year we’ve done really well and hit parks on really quiet days with minimal queues and had some really really lovely days. I love this hobby!

Mid-way through the year and I’ve done the following:

Towers and Thorpe a bunch
EP for the meet
Schwaben Park
Tripsdrill
Holiday Park
Phantasialand
Paultons
Clarence Pier
Babylon Park

Intentions are to go and tick off Crealy this weekend, if the car is behaving itself (it’s in the garage right now for headlight washer issues, MOT failure)

Beyond that, I’ve got Phantasialand next weekend and EP after (another driving trip to Germany - mainly cars rather than theme park related but I’ve negotiated those two on the trip). I’ll be doing East Anglia probably in July, and then intentions are to get over to Liseberg at the end of August.

This year I've got so many hopeful plans!

- Thorpe Park & Alton Towers I'd love to get to at the beginning of the season for obvious reasons; if there happens to be a Hyperia meet... I'm a 99% yes 😂 Would likely tie Drayton & BPB into an AT trip too as it's about 5hrs to get there so may as well visit them all. It'd be nice to spend a bit more time at Thorpe if possible but I don't have any theme park friends & my long-suffering family have a limit on the amount of moral support/time/patience they are able to invest in my interest per year (definitely exceeding that with the bigger trips already!) so we will see as I'm too anxious to go alone 😂🤣

- Paultons is my 'home park' so no doubt I'll be there for the opening of the new water ride with my youngest & a few times thereafter as it's such a lovely park.

- Planning a big trip to Germany in the Summer. Visiting some WW2 sites as well as finally heading to Europa & Phantasialand... possibly tie Toverland in too if it works out. I've wanted to visit the German parks for as long as I've known of them 🤩

With all the plans outside of the UK, it's almost certain Legoland & Chessy will unfortunately be neglected in 2024.
^^^ What a big fat liar January BooMT was 😂

- Not a single trip to Thorpe so far this year... likely to be Oktoberfest if anything... that counts as start of the season... right?
- Said I was 'almost certain' they would be neglected... so naturally we've already milked Legoland & Chessington dry 🙄
- Did manage Alton Towers at the start of May for the Nemesis VIP event... turned up at 2pm, spent about an hour in the park overall so... flying visit that wasn't tied with DM or BPB as originally planned!
- Paultons for the Fan Event and new ride opening... did not take my youngest... oops.
- German Summer trip off the cards... However, visited Phantasialand for my birthday at the beginning of the month. Best trip ever!

We will be heading to Verona late July & Gardaland/Movieland Studios are scheduled for this trip much to Hubbys deep dismay! Hoping to take my eldest on a little Mum & Son trip to celebrate finishing Year 6, either to Asterix, Energylandia/Legendia or Liseberg if we can work it out and possibly Efteling around Christmas time as a compromise for my sister who wanted to go to Disneyland Paris: Building Site Edition for her birthday. Don't take my word for any of this though... seeing as my last 'planned trip post' was about as reliable as Hyperia during opening month... 😂

Mid-way through and so far:

Adventure Island
Alton Towers x 6
Chesvegas
Clacton Pavilion
Clacton Pier
Europa Park x 5
Frankfurt Frühjahrsmesse
Funny-World
Hasenhorn
Holiday Park
Legoland Windsor x 3
Plopsaland De Panne
Schwaben Park
Sommerrodelbahn Gutach
Speyer Frühjahrsmesse
Steinwasen Park
Technik Museum Sinsheim
Thorpe Park x 6
Tripsdrill
Traylen's Amusements
Parc Asterix
Bobbejaanland
Sinksenfoor Antwerp

Mid-way through and so far:

Adventure Island
Alton Towers x 6
Chesvegas
Clacton Pavilion
Clacton Pier
Europa Park x 5
Frankfurt Frühjahrsmesse
Funny-World
Hasenhorn
Holiday Park
Legoland Windsor x 3
Plopsaland De Panne
Schwaben Park
Sommerrodelbahn Gutach
Speyer Frühjahrsmesse
Steinwasen Park
Technik Museum Sinsheim
Thorpe Park x 6
Tripsdrill
Traylen's Amusements
Parc Asterix
Bobbejaanland
Sinksenfoor Antwerp

Blimey that's a list!

2024 we've done:

Legoland x 3
Alton Towers x 2
Chessington x 2
Adventure Island x2/3 (can't remember)

Also Alton Towers Water Park and The Wave.

Have Efteling booked for the summer and hoping to do our first ever drive to Europe to do either Plopsaland or Bellewarde in the summer too.

This year was pretty front loaded for me with a very busy March/April; this is what I've managed so far:

Parque de Atracciones de Madrid
Parque Warner Madrid
Alton Towers
Europa Park
Tripsdrill
Thorpe Park (pre Hyperia)
Alton Towers (again, took my dad 😊)
Thorpe Park (post Hyperia, just about)
Legoland Windsor (rammed, only stayed for half a day).

Hoping to do another Alton visit in July and at some point need to get back to LLW to do Minifigures as I gave up waiting for them to open. Usual roster of autumn events at Alton Towers, might also attempt Fright Nights for the first time if I am feeling brave!

Also musing over a cheeky trip to Liseberg if the OH can be persuaded, probably in September.

Not a very exciting list, but it's been enjoyable!
  • Alton Towers x 2
  • Chessington World of Adventures
  • Thorpe Park x 2 (Pre and Post Hyperia)
  • Paultons Park
Still to check off are a visit to Drayton Manor Park and Zoo (assuming #NewCoaster opens this season), Flamingo Land and possibly Fantasy Island (although Skegness is proving a tough sell).

Would love to get to Europa, PortAventura and Parque Warner Madrid, but budgets and work are likely to get in the way.

So far this year I've done:
  • Alton Towers
  • Thorpe Park x 2
  • Chessington
  • Legoland Windsor
  • Miniatur Wunderland (definitely counts)
  • Europa-Park x 7 and a bit
  • Plopsaland de Panne
  • Walibi Belgium
  • Parc Asterix
  • Foire du Trône (fair in Paris)
Got a trip to the US coming up in August where I'll be hitting Dorney Park, Kennywood, Cedar Point, Kings Island, Dollywood, Carowinds, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Kings Dominion, Hersheypark and Six Flags Great Adventure. So a lot to look forward to!

So far this year not made it to any UK parks although only 30 mins away from Alton and 40 mins from Drayton.

I have been on my planned trip to Liseberg in may. Which was fantastic and will go back at some point.

Only 6 weeks now until a 3 weeks trip to Orlando- staying onsite at universal and then Disney. Suddenly doesnt seem long away with the balance now paid and made a few dinning reservations (although mainly do quick serve for food in Orlando ). Also have tickets for Seaworld to try out pipeline and hopefully penguin trek. Not bothering with Busch this time, didn’t have best experience in August 2022 especially compared to previous visits. Feel lucky to be able to go for three weeks, and don’t feel the need to rush and jam everything in, especially due to August heat and rain, generally park in the morning then break in the afternoon in the resort or doing other things and then a park in the evening.

Will head to Drayton, Legoland Windsor, and Thorpe when their new coasters open. Maybe in a perfect world get them all done in one trip and try and fit in a few other parks like Paultons.

Been putting off Emerald Park for years waiting for these two new coasters so will definitely be heading there as well.

Foreign trips, got two major trips planning at the moment with southern Germany, and Italy for Gardaland and Miribilandia (and the nearby parks).

Once those are completely arranged I'll be looking at what else I can fit in over the summer. Would also like to get back to Efteling when Danse Macabre opens.
So far,

1 visit to Pleasure Beach, just had issues with rail strikes and being double booked.
1 visit to Alton Towers

Big May/June trip were I visited Skyline Park, Legoland Deutschland, Tripsdrill, Schwaben Park, Holiday Park, Walygator, Fraspertuis City, Rulantica, Europa Park (2 days), Geiselwind, Belantis, Plohn, Bayern Park, Freitzeitpark Ruhpolding, and Fantasiana. Plus a number of mountain coasters, 1 French fair, and 2 German fairs.

Went to Emerald Park yesterday.

Still planned

A trip south soon for Thorpe and Legoland. Depending on crowds might pop over to Chessington.
Italy in a few months for Gardaland and Miribilandia.

Wait and see

Drayton Manor whenever the coaster opens.
Still have leave to use over the summer so might look at heading somewhere else I can go.

Upcoming for me:

Drayton if and when they open Intamin nonsense for the meet
Liseberg possibly
I'd like to get on Voltron but not sure on budgets
All 3 days of AT Fireworks