• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Thorpe Park: Hyperia - Mack Hypercoaster

have you designed lift hills?
No, but Mack have. I don't see any difference between Hyperia and other lift hills. If they had done endurance testing, plus inspection, they might have found something (as it seems it didn't just fail catastrophically). Still seems weird - if it were a wearing part why not ship with a spare? And why such a long delay to manufacture a replacement?

I doubt we'll ever know the reason, as it could kill Mack's business.

I think it may be in Thorpe’s interests to provide a bit more detail than they already have done purely on the basis that whatever the issue is is obviously significant enough to merit it being down for potentially 2 weeks (maybe more).

With that in mind, given the way the media in this country operate you’d think it won’t be long before questions are asked as to how safe it was for the ride to be open on the 2 days before the closure - I’m sure it’s absolutely fine and nobody was ever in any danger but if you don’t pre-emptively address it then Murdoch’s gang of mutants will doubtless fill in the blanks for you.

Completely safe. Haven't ridden it yet but assume the lift hill has a ratchet or similar safety stop in case of chain break. Once over the hill it's business as usual. No safety issue whatsoever.

You know that and I know that but we live in a world where Oblivion stopping on the lift hill for 5 minutes is reported a ‘Guests left TERRIFIED as aging coaster BREAKS DOWN’ to the point that Alton towers have to do regular videos explaining the safety systems to combat it.

Just making the point that I don’t think it would hurt given the fact that 90% of reporting in this country isn’t done in good faith.

No, but Mack have. I don't see any difference between Hyperia and other lift hills. If they had done endurance testing, plus inspection, they might have found something (as it seems it didn't just fail catastrophically). Still seems weird - if it were a wearing part why not ship with a spare? And why such a long delay to manufacture a replacement?

my point was they may have endurance tested it, but it just happened to not be for long enough, if part x works fine until ride cycle 300, but your endurance tests only 250 ride cycles, then its a bad situation, in addition you don't see any differnce, but there may be, it may be a new sproket design that allows a faster chain speed, perhaps a new gear box for smoother operations, a differnt type of bearing, all of this is covered by covers and are not able to be seen by the average guest, and it may also be due to a manufacturing issue

With that in mind, given the way the media in this country operate you’d think it won’t be long before questions are asked as to how safe it was for the ride to be open on the 2 days before the closure - I’m sure it’s absolutely fine and nobody was ever in any danger but if you don’t pre-emptively address it then Murdoch’s gang of mutants will doubtless fill in the blanks for you.
That'll never happen because there are 2 words missing - Alton Towers.

Mack have built plenty, but I believe this is the tallest ride they have ever produced. Some kind of variable might be significantly different by adding 10 metres (16%) to the usual design of their hypers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt it’s a design issue, it will just be a faulty part, all production lines produce faulty parts every now and then.
100% a design issue. Either with the lift/chain mechanism or a part that wasn't designed correctly. Such parts are manufactured to such small tolerances, probably X-rayed/ultrasound.

Sorry but there is nothing in this lift hill that isn't different from any other lift hill.

It is an intriguing question. Some of the other rides mentioned here as problematic on opening (e.g. Big One and Air) were breaching new territory when they first opened. It’s probably more understandable that they experienced teething problems.

Hyperia, whilst I’m sure is technologically complicated, isn’t in quite the same territory. I think that fact, coupled with Mack’s usually reliable products, does make you wonder exactly what has gone on here to end up where we are.

It's poor. It should be running 3. One on track. One on loading, and dispatched before the track is clear (you can always pause on the lift hill). And one unloading.

4 blocks. Poor design.

Last edited by a moderator:
100% a design issue. Either with the lift/chain mechanism or a part that wasn't designed correctly. Such parts are manufactured to such small tolerances, probably X-rayed/ultrasound.
how are you so sure?, what are the tolerances? x ray and ultra sound will pick some problems but not all, for instance a problem with heat treatment process (making a part wear quicker than normal) would be in the crystal structure of the metal, something which they won't pick up with either of the methods, ultra sound and xray are normally for cracks.
Sorry but there is nothing in this lift hill that isn't different from any other lift hill.
how are you so sure you are correct, like they may use a different gearbox, new sproket design, new manufacturing method. the lift hill could be steeper increasing the force required to lift it, it is taller meaning more weight from the chain.

Ultrasound and X-ray would 100% pick up such defects. The lift angle is indeed steep, but nothing that hasn't been done before. It would sure as hell pick up a defect that could cause a part to break in hours or days.

It is almost certain that Thorpe would have a strong argument for compensation. Certainly guarantees and everything will be in play. With this in mind, the vagueness is sort of understandable.

Regardless of what hasn’t been revealed, significant damage has been done to Thorpe and Mack already. Communication from the former has been fine for me.

In terms of what has gone on, they have pushed new boundaries with this ride, so something may have slipped through the technical failure modes/effects and risk assessment process. Conversely, a motor can go pop at any time, so there could be an element of simple bad luck.