• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Thorpe Park: Hyperia - Mack Hypercoaster

I am just waiting for the next wave of 40 minuite vlogs from people trying to make money and stretch out literally nothing, all because an engineer was seen climbing Hyperias lift hill or some other similar thing.

Mentioning no names but already seen similar vlogs because staff have pushed a box across the park that may or may not have been Hyperia related, but was assumed that it was. So I am waiting for the same based on an engineer climbing a catwalk.

"Next up on Theme Park Fruit Loops: A member of staff spotted walking in the station. Refurbishment confirmed????"

These clickbate titles kind of remind me of the old Top Gear intros where Jezza would purposely make something really boring sound like it was the second coming of Christ.

Last edited:
I am just waiting for the next wave of 40 minuite vlogs from people trying to make money and stretch out literally nothing, all because an engineer was seen climbing Hyperias lift hill or some other similar thing.

Mentioning no names but already seen similar vlogs because staff have pushed a box across the park that may or may not have been Hyperia related, but was assumed that it was. So I am waiting for the same based on an engineer climbing a catwalk.

"Next up on Theme Park Fruit Loops: A member of staff spotted walking in the station. Refurbishment confirmed????"

These clickbate titles kind of remind me of the old Top Gear intros where Jezza would purposely make something really boring sound like it was the second coming of Christ.
I saw someone who skipped one of their GCSE’s to go and ride Hyperia on opening day. And then posted a vlog about it.

Okay.

In the BBC article it says:
“It’s a complex machine. There’s three computers all talking to each other for a start, and they have to agree on everything,”

It sounds like the issues might be caused by some computers having an argument. Hopefully they'll find a compromise and put their differences aside. This kind of thing was bound to happen once they started using AI.

In the BBC article it says:

It sounds like the issues might be caused by some computers having an argument. Hopefully they'll find a compromise and put their differences aside. This kind of thing was bound to happen once they started using AI.
Just read the article there, it seems that passage from the article has been edited out. In perhaps an attempt to prevent speculation on what's occuring, may just cause a Streisand effect though...

Just read the article there, it seems that passage from the article has been edited out. In perhaps an attempt to prevent speculation on what's occuring, may just cause a Streisand effect though...
Possibly more because it's just plain incorrect lol. Some older coasters would have two (not three) PLCs (not computers as such) monitoring everything, but with modern tech that doesn't really happen. Certainly Hyperia wouldn't.

Possibly more because it's just plain incorrect lol. Some older coasters would have two (not three) PLCs (not computers as such) monitoring everything, but with modern tech that doesn't really happen. Certainly Hyperia wouldn't.
Yeah, I believed the issue with Hyperia was mechanical. However if that quote is indeed from the BBC, I'd doubt they'd be as reckless as to put an unsubstantiated claim in the article. The journalist makes reference to the issues with Smiler (skirting the incident) and the much compared downtime with Top Thrill 2, so they're very much aware of the industry context. This isn't your local paper.

I very much doubt anyone will let AI near anything as complex as a rollercoaster PLC considering many algorithms at the moment are a black box, and how much press theme park incidents get. It would be a disaster waiting to happen. It's why self-driving cars never have/never will take off, it's too much of a liability with where responsibility for decision making lies.

Yeah, I believed the issue with Hyperia was mechanical. However if that quote is indeed from the BBC, I'd doubt they'd be as reckless as to put an unsubstantiated claim in the article. The journalist makes reference to the issues with Smiler (skirting the incident) and the much compared downtime with Top Thrill 2, so they're very much aware of the industry context. This isn't your local paper.

I very much doubt anyone will let AI near anything as complex as a rollercoaster PLC considering many algorithms at the moment are a black box, and how much press theme park incidents get. It would be a disaster waiting to happen. It's why self-driving cars never have/never will take off, it's too much of a liability with where responsibility for decision making lies.
Not quite sure what your point here is? Firstly a rollercoaster PLC is actually really quite simple, and secondly not sure what AI has got to do with anything lol

Not quite sure what your point here is? Firstly a rollercoaster PLC is actually really quite simple, and secondly not sure what AI has got to do with anything lol
Poster of original article suggested that somehow AI tech was involved with the PLC (never elaborated how..), it was a bizarre post to begin with, and I guess they misunderstood somehow having PLCs communicating with each other was AI?

Which is interesting because you effectively need different computer systems interacting to achieve any form of 'intelligence'. But not really related to Hyperia at that point.

Quote is not from Thorpe Park, rather (the knowledgeable) Justin Garvanovic of the European Coaster Club. Quote is still there: “It’s a complex machine. There’s three computers all talking to each other for a start, and they have to agree on everything,” he said.

Slightly interestingly, a direct quote from Thorpe within the article states that the issue followed “standard technical pre-opening procedure checks”. Not seen that stated anywhere else.

they use PLC, with usually multiple as a fail safe check (it will make sure the main one is not doing something it shouldn't). I imagine the quote it to try and assure the public that it is safe (as opposed to some other news papers, who run to alton the seccond they hear oblivions lift motor stop)

Last edited:
I think his comment was made in jest. That said we've been using the word AI for decades and decades for simple else if statements and ladder logic, so in that sense it is AI on the basis it will make basic decisions based on input conditions, which by definition is basic intelligence, it is also artifical being man made. A block system for example requires a basic level of intelligence on the PLC programme to operate, nothing on the level of modern AI, but knowing when a block is clear and then to release brakes and turn motors on a different part of the system is intelligence. The PLC's do have a level of AI. It won't make anything beyond basic decisions but it is intelligent and it is artificial.

AI in the modern sense of the word, which everyone commenting above is alluring to and what AI is now best known as in 2024, with machine learning and neural networks it is not however. A totally different beast. But the term AI is still correct. We currently do not have two diffrlerent words to seperate the two. But it is a term that has been used long before the modern take on AI has exploded. Just thought that was an important distinction to make. There is even a level of AI built into a calculator from the 1970's.

Anyway, this is going down a rabbit hole. Not to mention, being a little bit pedantic.

Last edited:
Reading the quote above, it doesn't sound like the guy was saying that having 3 computers talking to each other actually caused the issue with this downtime, it was more that he was just saying 'Hey, this is a complicated piece of equipment'. I don't think it is any more than that really.

Proverbs 26:11-12 Like a dog that returns to its vomit, a fool does the same foolish things again and again. People who think they are wise when they are not are worse than fools.

We don't know what happened.
The people that know won't tell.
Very simple.
The rest is thoosie vapours.
Same circles, different sources, same results.

Quote is not from Thorpe Park, rather (the knowledgeable) Justin Garvanovic of the European Coaster Club. Quote is still there: “It’s a complex machine. There’s three computers all talking to each other for a start, and they have to agree on everything,” he said.

Slightly interestingly, a direct quote from Thorpe within the article states that the issue followed “standard technical pre-opening procedure checks”. Not seen that stated anywhere else.

Justin has been around a long time but the BBC just went to him for a quote, I doubt he knows what’s going on anymore than anybody else.

All the work has been on the lift hill. The PLC’s are not anywhere near the lift hill. The rumours such as they are point to a mechanical failure and the skant evidence that exists backs that up.

It would appear that the suggestions of Saw’s planned closure being related to Hyperia could be correct, as ahead of Saw’s planned closure tomorrow and Tuesday, a large crane has been photographed sitting and waiting in Hyperia’s ride area:

Hopefully this crane should be able to get up there and bring a swift end to Hyperia’s closure!

Justin has been around a long time but the BBC just went to him for a quote, I doubt he knows what’s going on anymore than anybody else.

All the work has been on the lift hill. The PLC’s are not anywhere near the lift hill. The rumours such as they are point to a mechanical failure and the skant evidence that exists backs that up.
Don't disagree, for me it just needed clarifying who said what.