• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Thorpe Park: Hyperia - Mack Hypercoaster

Nope, it's fairly unusual (especially within Merlin) to have more trains than you can physically run at once.

Sensible for maintenance etc. yes, but economically not viable.
Parts, swap-outs, train valleyed - I'd definitely have ordered one on a £20m investment with a 20+ year lifetime. How many coasters are now canniballising parts to keep working. You can't spend £20m on a coaster if you don't have a long-term plan....

To clarify: this was the message that I referenced (from a few months ago), which suggested that there may be a difference between the two trains:-

Visited last Friday and went to Hyperia straight away. Was surprised at how much rattle there was for a new Mack and makes you wonder what it’s going to be like in a few years!

On opening day I got on it twice, first time was smooth but second rough so wondering if anyone has noticed a difference between the trains (I didn’t spot the train numbers when I was there to know if that might be a cause).

https://towersstreet.com/talk/threads/2024-thorpe-park-hyperia-mack-hypercoaster.6037/post-480375

Maybe they could switch them on....? Seriously if that's the answer then they really are FUBARed. Perhaps they can put "Fred Flintstone" accelerators in the seats and ask everyone to pedal. I can see a £3m re-design of parts of track on the cards...

Or maybe they could make it a bit higher, rather than the 1ft above BPB's TBO.

It's already 23ft taller than PMBO, not 1ft.

That redesign cost is a number plucked from nothing, not that it matters as it'll be on Mack not Merlin to sort this if they push it.

Parts, swap-outs, train valleyed - I'd definitely have ordered one on a £20m investment with a 20+ year lifetime. How many coasters are now canniballising parts to keep working. You can't spend £20m on a coaster if you don't have a long-term plan....
Rather good job then that they've purchased from a reputable manufacturer, with a great track record of keeping rides going for decades after first installation. No need to resort to cannibalism when you can buy spare parts, or ask for more to be made in a bit of a push.