• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Thorpe Park: Hyperia - Mack Hypercoaster

Find your fearless?

I don’t get it.

My take from the slogan is conquering the height of it. If you can ride the tallest coaster in the country you’re fearless. Nothing else can scare you. I’ve had a bottle of wine so apologies if that makes no sense

Hyperia is an interesting name!

I’m still not entirely sure on it; I think I would have preferred Icarus or Horus, but that could be in large part down to it sounding very similar to Hyperion at Energylandia, from my end. If Hyperion didn’t exist, I imagine I’d probably be a keener on the name.

With that being said, it’s snappy, it sounds quite cool, it rolls off the tongue quite nicely, and there are certainly far worse things they could have named it!

Interestingly, I’m hearing suggestions that they originally wanted to name it Icarus, but couldn't due to the trademark getting rejected, with Hyperia being a swift improvisation…

That would make a lot of sense given that they also applied for Icarus and the trademark was rejected, and the imagery of embers and clouds also suggests that an Icarus name/theme may originally have been planned, in my view…

Names fine, just looking forward to seeing it get built over the winter. Only heard good things about the other similar mack coasters so excited one will open here. Just sadly it'll mean having to visit Thorpe Park again.

Interestingly, I’m hearing suggestions that they originally wanted to name it Icarus, but couldn't due to the trademark getting rejected, with Hyperia being a swift improvisation…

I checked on Wikipedia what the word Hyperia could refer to, personally I’d happily take a 236ft crustacean themed hyper coaster but no, looks like it does actually have a link to Greek mythology.

7e93dbc434bb7069a485c90e9d102366.jpg

Hyperia is an interesting name!

I’m still not entirely sure on it; I think I would have preferred Icarus or Horus, but that could be in large part down to it sounding very similar to Hyperion at Energylandia, from my end. If Hyperion didn’t exist, I imagine I’d probably be a keener on the name.

With that being said, it’s snappy, it sounds quite cool, it rolls off the tongue quite nicely, and there are certainly far worse things they could have named it!
You probably don't want to name a very tall coaster after someone who fell to the ground and died, after flying too close to the sun.

Interestingly we’ll have a little ancient Greek inspired corner of the park, with Colossus next door (Medusa pit, Atlantean city). Probably just coincidental, unless we get a bit of light theming to connect the two areas a bit.

I’d love to see the park give the whole Colossus area a nice cleaning and sprucing up to really highlight the lost city aspect of the theming. There’s probably a whole generation of park goers that have no idea that it’s themed to an Atlantean city because things like the Medusa heads need a good clear up to be seen as clearly as they once were.

Last edited:
I'm trying to be positive but I really don't like the name or tagline to be brutally honest. Maybe it'll stick when it's opened. I think the main problem is that it feels like Thorpe asked ChatGPT to generate them. And the promotion videos are just... bad. The NoLimits 2 POV, obnoxious screaming sound effects, and lack of any discernible theme. It all feels a bit Six-Flags-y and soulless.
I have no doubts that it'll be a great coaster but, as people have already said, it seems like they're going for a more stylised rather than themed look, which is a shame in my opinion. Maybe I've jumped to conclusions about that but this is what I've gauged from the name, logo, and promotional materials released so far. I can't say I'm particularly excited about this project which is weird considering I'm super enthusiastic about Nemesis 2.0 and was always obsessed with the park's previous coasters when they were being constructed.

Out of interest, why is it that an Egyptian theme is so strongly presumed?

Personally, I see little indicating an Egyptian theme over any other kind of theme besides maybe the gold colour scheme.
Personally I made the connection because the Book of Exodus (second book in the cult-classic Bible franchise) took place in Egypt. The fact that Colossus was called 'Project Odyssey' during construction (as in Homer's Odyssey) and then opened with an ancient Greek theme also led me to believe that the project name for Exodus could be significant to its theme. Then again, SAW's project name was 'Dylan' and the ride is not Dylan-themed so maybe that's a daft assumption.