• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Thorpe Park: Hyperia - Mack Hypercoaster

Thorpe park are advertising this ride as the tallest and fasted in the uk, so I would assume this will still pick up some speed regardless of any trims.

But It does make me question how they can claim this prior to launch or is it clever marketing by not calculating the entire length for this statement compared to stealth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thorpe park are advertising this ride as the tallest and fasted in the uk, so I would assume this will still pick up some speed regardless of any trims.

But It does make me question how they can claim this prior to launch or is it clever marketing by not calculating the entire length for this statement compared to stealth?

Any claim of “speed” for a ride is never calculated over the entire length. It’s always maximum speed across the length that is used.

If Hyperia hits a maximum speed of above 80mph at any given point, then it has every right to claim to be the UK’s fastest roller coaster, regardless of whether it holds that 80mph speed for the remainder of its length.

They'll be able to work out the top speed of the ride by modelling. It will vary slightly with every train with real people, of course, but it shouldn't waver too much. It's only going to be faster by 1 mph on average though for it's calculated top speed.

Thorpe aren't going to sue themselves, BPB made up PMBOs top speed as there's no way it even gets close to 74mph and the next coasters after that are Oblivion, Odyssey and Rita. I have doubts of Odysseys actual speed and Merlin won't let the parks sue each other.

Calculations for speed and forces are done in the design stages of development, that has got easier and more accurate as computer aided design software has progressed. The actual top speed will be found during the testing phase, but there will likely be minimal, if any discrepancy from what they are expecting it to be right now.

Thorpe have now confirmed in their latest blog post that, in addition to being the UK’s tallest and fastest rollercoaster, Hyperia will feature the tallest inversion in Europe and will have more moments of airtime than any other coaster in the country!

Doesn’t come as much of a surprise, but still exciting nonetheless!
6F50969E-C113-462E-91B6-AAEE06BC5AA8.jpeg

There are several coasters in the UK that have some airtime, but none whereby airtime is their primary focus. If airtime is the primary element of Hyperia then that is great news!

These pics were all taken by Jack Silkstone, and he mentioned in his latest construction update that he plans to compile them in a book documenting the construction after it opens. Will definitely have to get it if it happens! 😍
This is the guy who made 39 video updates before construction actually happened? That's going to be one long book...