• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[202X] Project Horizon (SW9?): Planning Approved

What if it was an Intamin single rail with a launch? If Horizon doesn't end up being a raptor, would one fit in the Spinball space? What if horizon has a spinning element and renders Spinball redundant? We have a nice raptor space there.

It is pretty unlikely that Towers would be able to replace Spinball with another coaster.

It is pretty unlikely that Towers would be able to replace Spinball with another coaster.

Technically they can, they didn’t need planning permission for Spinball as it’s in the General Development Order area.

That said I think they will sacrifice Spinball for a future tricky planning application and agree to change to GDO in that area.

Technically they can, they didn’t need planning permission for Spinball as it’s in the General Development Order area.

That said I think they will sacrifice Spinball for a future tricky planning application and agree to change to GDO in that area.

The Towers St planning article seems to suggest the GDO rules for that part of the park have been amended since Spinball was built and would now only allow a max of 5 metres without full planning permission.

Yeah the council hate spinball, as it technically interferes with the view of the towers from the lawns as I think that view is protected? All it is now planning wise is a pawn for a tricky application.

Interesting point

Question is what could AT trade it for that would be both realistic and possible?

Cross Valley?
3rd hotel?
Second gate?
Something within the ruins (hotel or attraction)?
Permanent lake show?
Full conversion of the meadow to parking?
Substantial dark ride behind Katanga/Alton Manor?

Interesting point

Question is what could AT trade it for that would be both realistic and possible?

Cross Valley?
3rd hotel?
Second gate?
Permanent lake show?

Unlikely. I'm not convinced it'd get cleared for noise, plus not sure it'd actually be any good
They already have 3, doubt they need more
Not sure they're bothered about changing the current setup
Anything permanent in the ruins is very very unlikely, even Hex is a sort of temporary permission
A lake show would interfere with the sight lines, can see that getting knocked back
Possible, especially if they want to use South car park for more park
Probably would be under GDO

Reactions: Ash
Interesting point

Cross Valley?
3rd hotel?
Second gate?
Permanent lake show?
Second gate may be a possibility if the CVR opens there station just down the road

Cross valley highly unlikely there's to much redtape and restrictions in place

3rd hotel....really!!!

Lake show that could work

I think in the ruins that have../.had hex
And with the manner wanting to be restored highly unlikely

I'm not sure on what to say for the rest
But that's my thoughts

Second gate may be a possibility if the CVR opens there station just down the road

Cross valley highly unlikely there's to much redtape and restrictions in place

3rd hotel....really!!!

Lake show that could work

I think in the ruins that have../.had hex
And with the manner wanting to be restored highly unlikely

I'm not sure on what to say for the rest
But that's my thoughts

They already have three hotels, don’t forget the CBeebies Hotel.

I agree I think this project needs to be delayed a year or 2, there no point adding new areas when there so much work to be done elsewhere. It doesn’t look good for new visitors, Especially as there will be alot of dead spaces removing all the temp flats at the end of this season. There be no fillers for the headline attraction, realistically are we going to see huge remedial works on: Hex, Galactica refurb, a whole new refurb area of forbidden valley including all new cafe, gift shop, arcade, supporting flat ride, cable cart back up and running. This list is huge and that’s not forgetting how shoddy the smiler is looking, Thirteen and there surrounding areas. A new rollercoaster attracting more footfall is the last thing they need in my opinion.

Has there been any official communication that this was planned to be a 2025 project in the first place? This thread still being titled ‘202X’ suggests not?

Could it be that this was meant for 2026 all along? The early planning application for a location that has historic planning issues was perhaps more about giving them plenty of time - I was quite surprised it all went through without much fuss to be honest, perhaps the park were expecting a more drawn out process?

On top of that, two high investment years one after the other (Nemesis then Horizon) seems unusual even in these changing times at Merlin.

Last edited:
If Project Horizon forms a part of a full retheme/refurbishment of the Walliams area/Dungeons then that is an area in desperate need of change. I would support a multi-year development of that area. 2024 retheme of area, Gangsta Granny, 3D cinema return and new ride/theme in Dunegons building, 2025 Project Horizon and a new flat (or new indoor attraction in one of the vacant buildings). Very unlikely and pure speculation of course. Towers have their work cut out.

Given the location of the building I could see this being a completely standalone attraction. If not why not make it bigger and use the full space up?