• ā„¹ļø Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[202X] Project Horizon (SW9?): Planning Approved

I agree. Which is exactly why, if I were Merlin, I wouldn't go shouting about it.

For all intents and purposes, as long as the noise level projections are accurate and the building is built as is detailed in the planning documents it's none of their business what kind of attraction is built. Who is Ken from the local Neighborhood Watch to decide what goes on inside there? If Merlin are telling lies about the noise (which, as far as I'm aware, no one has any objections to) then they should have their feet held to the fire.

But if just calling it a coaster raises Ken and Karen's blood pressure so much then they should put down their Daily Mail and go and see a doctor, as getting so emotional about what type of attraction could be built inside a soundproofed building inside a theme park either means they've wasted their engineering talents during their working lives or they need some blood thinners.
What your beef with Ken? I heard his daughter works on Park and he's very supportive of the investment in the local areas economy.

I think you mean Tony. Right busy body curtain twitching William Hague loving cretin.

This topics very painful atm. As is the Duel thread. I know the point of this forum is freedom of speech etc but surely @Craig and admin somme special rules need putting in place to stop pages and pages on repatative drivel. Unfortunately not reading the thread doesn't work as we may miss that one bit of good information

This topics very painful atm. As is the Duel thread. I know the point of this forum is freedom of speech etc but surely @Craig and admin somme special rules need putting in place to stop pages and pages on repatative drivel. Unfortunately not reading the thread doesn't work as we may miss that one bit of good information

Apart from the fact it goes against the ethos of discussion forums that would be impossible to moderate. People just need to be sensible.

The Planning Applications committee just so happen to have a meeting on the same date as this project's 'Determination required date', Thursday 26th January

The agendas of the committee get uploaded in the week prior to the respective meeting, so we should get confirmation then.

In the last couple of days the consultation responses from Historic England and the SMDC Conservation Officer have been uploaded to the planning portal.

Both of these responses reference concern about the location and size of the proposed building, they also raised the fact there has been no attempt from Merlin to pay towards restoration of the Flag Tower as part of this application.

Seems they're forgetting that there's a loud, ugly, garish Maurer spinner about 200 yards from the Towers. How on earth a bland-exterior indoor attraction could be worse than that, especially given modern building standards and noise abatement is beyond me.

Seems they're forgetting that there's a loud, ugly, garish Maurer spinner about 200 yards from the Towers

I imagine if they ever had any say in the matter they would have expressed strongly worded objections to Spinball.

Seems itā€™s the visual impact that they have most issue with. Maybe they will need to dig down after all? That gets pricey though so would impact the budget somewhat.

Seems they're forgetting that there's a loud, ugly, garish Maurer spinner about 200 yards from the Towers. How on earth a bland-exterior indoor attraction could be worse than that, especially given modern building standards and noise abatement is beyond me.
Didn't Spinball had the same uproar when built yet despite all was still built regardless?

Could Merlin use the refurbishment of the Flag Tower as a potential bargaining chip?

From an environmental/heritage perspective, I don't think the continued existence and obstruction of Spinball Whizzer does the park many favours. It's more of a warning from the past as to what can happen without prior insight or objections. Getting rid of it in the future, as floated, would earn them local brownie points, for certain.

Didn't Spinball had the same uproar when built yet despite all was still built regardless?

Spinball did not require planning permission due to the rules governing that location at the time. I believe the council have since changed the parameters for this part of the park, a pretty good indication they werenā€™t happy with it, but these things canā€™t be changed retrospectively, so Spinball stays.
Could Merlin use the refurbishment of the Flag Tower as a potential bargaining chip?

From an environmental/heritage perspective, I don't think the continued existence and obstruction of Spinball Whizzer does the park many favours. It's more of a warning from the past as to what can happen without prior insight or objections. Getting rid of it in the future, as floated, would earn them local brownie points, for certain.

I wonder if cash for the Flag Tower and the promise of pulling down Spinball could help tip the balance?

Im surprised the flag tower hasnt been put forward for restoration as part of this application, maybe it was surveyed and thought too costly and too far out to be relevant to guests. My future dream is for the back of that area to be reopened and a fairytale forest style unintrusive area built there, where youd at least see the Tower. If the Horizon proposal was reworked to allow future access and flag tower restoration would that persaude the planners?

How do these restorations linked to new attractions usually work?

Do the park tend to offer to fund them voluntarily up front - or is it standard for them to wait until later in the planning process to offer as part of ā€˜negotiatingā€™ with the planners?