• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

24 hours inside the park - A Scout camp with a difference

chilli2

TS Member
One of the things i'm involved with is Scouting - as a leader.
I also enjoy the odd theme park, so when the opportunity arose to combine the two i decided it would be worth doing, and after checking with the Scouts they also agreed it would be a good camp/event.
We attended last year and it proved popular so we are off again this year
So next weekend from Saturday the 14th of June to Sunday the 14th we are off to Alton towers

We are due at Alton towers at 5:30pm ( just after closing ) From there its into the park through a back/service entrance and then pitching ( setting up ) the tents on the grass at the bottom of towers street, by the lake.
We then get an evening meal in the hospitality suite next to spinball, and after a short while its up to the public entrance and then a bus to the waterpark for two hours.
We get back to the theme park at around 10/ 10:30pm a quick supper is provided ( hot chocolate etc) then The Scouts are all of to their tents to sleep (!)
On Sunday its up at around 7 ish, to clear all the tents, a quick continental style breakfast then early ride time from 9am, then the rest of the theme park all day, leaving the park at closing time

That sounds really fun! I would love to camp by the lake :p Do your scouts have the choice to explore the gardens during the night? Because if you do, then I can imagine that being a lovely experience.

No chance ( or opportunity ) to explore the gardens, as we will be at the waterpark as darkness falls.
with the exception of a few places bathed in the glare of the security lights/floodlights the site itself is incredibly dark, as it is largly free of any 'light pollution' on the section of path between spinball and the hospitality suite ( heading towards X sector ) it can get that dark you cant see your hand in front of your face.
Also its easy enough to get lost in the gardens during daylight, it can only be worse during the night.

411181_408705832504332_589352749_o.jpg

I have seen this a few times before at towers, I remember leaving park last season and seeing loads of tents on the lawns at the end of the day!

Would be a cool place to sleep as a child!

I love these updates, kind of like the excerpts from the diary of a lost explorer. ;)

Reminds me of when I went on the ECC trip to Oakwood.... Being able to wander round the park at night was both awesome and creepy. :p

Morning, all quite (sort of ) the ducks are quacking, the scouts want to go on the rides, but apart from the road sweeper not much else is moving.

Re: closed off area,
they've closed off everything to the right hand side of the lake, the only path open to gloomy wood / fountain square is the one by mutiny bay over the bridge to the gardens.
It's wierdly quiet on the closed area with hardly any one about, the ride ops from X sector are manning the barricades stooping people from going in.

Last edited: