• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

A Direction In Which To Head...

Ash

TS Member
So,

Here we all are. First of all congrats and bravo to the guys for getting this place up and running and making a very brave decision and standing by your principles. That is something which should be commended and not forgotten.

As we can start things afresh I think Towers Street should be built on the principles of community, plus-ing and fun! In light of that, I think as a community we should come together to decide how we can stop what has happened over the past few days and years happening again. That should be our number one aim for the time being. Not that I dont trust the people currently putting things in place but the community should be protected years down the line otherwise the topics, pictures, memories are all lost onto another site. So I think a serious discussion needs to be head about how we can resolve that problem.

As I have mentioned in another topic funding will be our first and the most major obstacle, having one single investor means for want of a better phrase its "their name on the deeds" and as we have seen it can cause massive problems. How can we solve this as a group?

A form of governance should be put in place to issues do not become a massive problem, I think perhaps a site council of 5 people should oversee all aspects of the site. Only the 5 people unanimously can have elect a person to replace one of them. This could perhaps be made up of "Forum Admin", "Site Admin", "Members Rep", "Technical Admin" and "Financial Admin".

How people get the initial roles could be debated but perhaps between us select the best possible candidates but allow those 4 roles to be re-assessed at all times. The members rep we could allow anyone to put themselves forward and then be voted for by members of the site.

These 5 people could then select teams to work beneath them on different areas of the site such as forum moderating, photography, video taking, sorting meets, using the social networks, gaining new members, working on the website, news editor, website editor. All sorts!

But again this works on the basis that there is not one person who has the power to pull of the plug or cause problems because no matter how much we think there wont be a problem in the future we just do not know.

My next issue would be what everyone wants the site to be?

A place to arrange to meet and visit theme parks and other attractions around the world and engage in discussion online?
All of the above with a website provided for everyone to look at?
All of the above and a way to create a great social experience for all who are interested?
None of the above?

Perhaps we could create a mission statement and let it be the purpose of the site forever more?

I think copying the same old forum as TTF, ATA, TN and going from their is old hat. There is the creative minds here to add to the best parts and make it even better!

I having a section dedicated to the community is something that was missing, to arrange gaming nights, the infamous radio, discuss how to get new members, competitions, discuss the initial TS meet dates, arrange events throughout the year etc

A forum just for "mini meets" (and accompanying archive) in which if you post an event it is open to all members which can improve inclusion. These smaller threads away from the main events throughout the year could be given a set structure to improve ease of use and perhaps be set out in a way that even new members can find a way to get in touch with someone on a mini meet and arrange to meet them.

We could do with forums dedicated too the forum/website/overall site discussion which could be used for ideas and groups of people working on ways to improve the website/experience/meets etc. Again pointing back for ways to constantly improve things and move forward.

Something from the old site that should definitely come back is the meet up archive and release of dates in the close season. Whos going lists/How to meet up/Basic Itinerary and then the sharing of stories/photos/videos after the fact was one of the best parts of the site and should become an annual and well organised thing.

As i rambled on at TT10 social media/networking should be paramount for a site like ours to share news, point people towards the forum, interact with the general public, explain the website to newcomers and help to get more people onto meetups. This should tie in with a strategy over facebook/twitter/youtube within a brand by which we define ourselves (clarified in a mission statement) This is something that just happened on Towers Times but now we have a chance to do things better!

We all want different things from a website and a community like this, but they are just my thoughts an they will be different to everyone else. I'm interested to hear other peoples thoughts on this and their own ideas?

Vis Unita Fortior

8)

First of all if we are moving to a new forum, I'm sure like there is now members will create new topics which were the same or a variant of old ones. The new site will be quieter but a mode closely knit family-run system. Your separate boards sound great, going for this unique features is a must have. We can create magic of TowersStreet (without the salespeople of course).

All we need is a lot of trust as a group to pull through together and start from where we left off. Once the new site is up, we can do this.

There is masses in there to reply to, but as I've been going for nearly 24 hours I'll let one of my beautiful colleagues take the honour of replying in much more detail :p

I did want to say that despite being a turbulent 12 hours for us, we have all thought alone and together and said a lot about how we want things to be different to be a success, so I think a lot of your thoughts, concerns and ideas have actually already been shared between us already - and we will discuss them as a team in great detail in days to come too. Yet of course TT did have a largely winning formula, so we don't want to deviate too far from it - just improve it to be the best.

It'll take time for things to happen also, and the team is focused on establishing a physical base (in terms of forum, news, social and chat right now) for us to build all of these fundamentals, ways of working and plans on though :)

Going to try and address a few points in that fine post Ash might not be able to answer all of them yet as its now only hour 14 of Project Aurora/ TowersStreet.

1) Ownership: The finer points are obviously still to be discussed but to protect the community no-one member of the team holds the sole ownership or TS. We believe that unlike as has happened in the past a community based site does not function it's best with a supreme leader.

2) Funding: Again we need to look at the nitty gritty but we have a current funding solution in place that doesn't depend on a single investor who can pull the plug. We also aim never to make any profit from TS and any revenue stream that comes into the site will be invested in its upkeep and the community.

3) As for governance we are unsure of the direction we will take here, we plan to make TS as transparent as possible but we will address this question shortly.

4) Site direction: As you know we have all been working on a new site for some time in a previous life and we have many great ideas for a new site. I think the only thing we can say for certain is we plan to remain a Towers fan site as thats what brings us together.

5) The Forums (Talk): Obviously things will develop here as we go along. Keep an eye on the boards for any announcements.

As said we aim to be as open as possible, we cant put every decision we make to a democratic vote as we would move at a snails pace but i hope you will all feel that this is your community, we (the team) are not perfect... we may not always please everyone but we darn well will do our best :D

Im sure further questions will be answered when we can

Dave said:
2) Funding: Again we need to look at the nitty gritty but we have a current funding solution in place that doesn't depend on a single investor who can pull the plug. We also aim never to make any profit from TS and any revenue stream that comes into the site will be invested in its upkeep and the community.

Did anyone else think TST car wash as soon as they read that? No, really? Just me? Ok! :eek:

But on a serious note as it is a community forum, I for one would be happy to contribute funds towards the upkeep of the site or partake in fundraising events for the site if or when needed.