• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Alton and Queue cutters

As others have mentioned, the problem at Towers is the sprawling queue-lines.

It's never going to be possible to have hosts monitoring the entire queue. The only point at which this can be done is at merge, however hosts are often too busy dealing with fast-track etc to keep a full eye on what's going on. The other option would be to improve queue line CCTV, but who would watch it? Operators already have on ride CCTV to pay attention to.

Before anything can be done or even said to the people in question, a host would have to be 100% sure that person has jumped the queue. Which unless numerous people are will to vouch for, can be a bit tricky. After all, they wouldn't want a guest to complain for being accused of something they didn't do.
Whenever a host has seen someone queue jump themselves, from what I've experienced they've always been kicked out.

I agree mostly with what has generally been said in here... just something a little uncomfortable about turning a theme park into a police state. I don't like queue-jumping, smoking in queues and the rest of it, but I think the type of abuse that concerns me the most is jumped-up busy-bodies having that infrastructure available for reporting anybody even slightly bending the rules. It's a theme park, not a school playground.

The queue has the power to stop it being socially acceptable, they need to point out offenders as a group and ask that they be dealt with, if you dont let them push past you then they dont get ahead.

Kaycee said:
I agree mostly with what has generally been said in here... just something a little uncomfortable about turning a theme park into a police state. I don't like queue-jumping, smoking in queues and the rest of it, but I think the type of abuse that concerns me the most is jumped-up busy-bodies having that infrastructure available for reporting anybody even slightly bending the rules. It's a theme park, not a school playground.

I dont think anyone is saying that we should form a lynch mob against any one that we feel breaks the rules but anyone that isn't being fair as a whole needs to be dealt with. Simple as that.

I experienced a couple of queue jumpers in the Air Single Rider queue last week, which was very long & slow moving.

Once I informed the member of staff on the merge point, she called the station ride operator, and asked for a description of the people - at which point the group of girls behind myself chirped up with information.
They were shortly after removed from the ride and made to rejoin the queue from the VERY beginning, and not just the end of the line of people.

If you inform staff, they will do their best to sort the problem. If you remain quiet, nothing can be done.

The main problem is that it is so difficult for staff to get to them in the queue situation. That is why I love Thorpe's method, they warn them but give them the option to continue through the queue, some decided to stay and like I sad one guy took his jacket off and changed his hair to try to fool them. The station staff just humiliated him sub-terra style. That is what I like to see.

Ive never had a problem with queue jumpers, I literally stand my ground and place both hands on either side of the queue...the only people I let through are the ones short enough to go under my arms. I'd hate to be responsible for keeping a small child from their family! Everyone else can do one, I don't care how big n hard they look, what are they gunna do, hit me Infront of 100 witnesses? I highly doubt it.

i dont really have problems with Queue jumpers as i am in a group going on the rides and we (the group) take up the width of the Queueline, so to get passed they have to physically push pass.

Don't really see the problem with keeping 1 person away from there friends are family it's meant to be good day out for people there is a problem when there a group off about 3 trying get through

Maybe a good system would be for people to be given a recipt like piece of paper with the ride's name on it at the queue entrance. Everyone's queue recipt would be checked by a staff member before getting on the ride. The recipt is then put in the bin. That way operators can tell that if someone doesn't have a recipt they haven't joined the queue from the start.

This would also be a good preventative measure, as a sign would inform people of the system at the queue entrance.

Also, people couldn't fake a queue recipt, as who would actualy go to the effort of buying recipt paper at exactly the right size with exactly the same name & font on it. They couldn't photocopy it as all the recipts are put in the bin.

mple system, yet effective in every way!

;)

The only issue with that is that most people do join the queue at the entrance... they just jump bits further on. Very few queue jumpers enter the queue halfway through and most queues at Alton can't be skipped in that way either...

(No Fastrack wisecracks either ;))

mrbrightside said:
The only issue with that is that most people do join the queue at the entrance... they just jump bits further on. Very few queue jumpers enter the queue halfway through and most queues at Alton can't be skipped in that way either...

(No Fastrack wisecracks either ;))

Well maybe the time of entering could be printed too if it was done on a machine. So if someone arrives too soon (as in everyone else's ticket was printed 20mint before where as the queue jumpers was half that) they would be told to leave, or if the staff member is unsure, they can ask other members of the queue who didn't jump.

:)

All queuelines should be no wider than 18", Blackpool style. Then it is impossible to push past someone.

DiogoJ42 said:
If I had my way, queue jumpers would be shot on sight. This includes fastrack users.
Change the word "Trespassers" to "Queue-Jumpers" and BAM problem solved! ;)

S0003.jpg

Good idea, but it will inevitably lead to faff, people could loose the recite, or put it in a pocket or bad slowing down batching times, that and paper and printing costs would be quite high.

You could always do what Drayton Manor do, by which I mean shoving construction fences throughout the queue so people do not jump the fences! ;)

I'm sure you want the queues to be cramped and ugly!

Or make the queue's very thin so it can only be single file, and then construct large walls with electrified razor wire topping it. It could be called theaming, and could potentially cull the dregs of society.

Paper tickets wouldn't be effective. They would cost too much, and the waste would be tremendous. It's not THAT a big issue to warrant a complete overhall.

Yes, it happens, but it's not to the point where we need to change queue sizes, or implement a ticketed system!