• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Alton Towers 2014 and Onwards

Cloud Cuckoo Land is amazing how it is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;)

The Flume and Adventure/Storybook land need so much more attention first. I think Alton need to think outside of the box with this; a Shrek land (and other Dreamworks films) would, for me, feel very tired in just a few years. Something long-life would be far more effective. I'm just gonna say it; Doctor Who would make a fantastic IP; it's ongoing, British and very unique. The theming opportunities would be mind-blowing. It would be immensely popular but would require huge investment, something which Merlin would be unlikely to support such a great project.

BigAl said:
Retheme CCL to something Dr Seuss related! ;D

Isn't that Universal? So I think that's a No No :( But it sounds like a great idea! ;D

I reckon something like a Mario land at Alton, It's a popular franchise that isn't own by any other theme park owner and is popular with both Adults and Children. But I don't want it to happen as Mario is worse than a certain blue hedgehg

Eddie said:
NastyPasty said:
Eddie said:
Isn't that Universal? So I think that's a No No :( But it sounds like a great idea! ;D

I reckon something like a Mario land at Alton, It's a popular franchise that isn't own by any other theme park owner...

O RLY? ;)

http://www.nintendoamusementpark.com/

Per-lease. Alton can't rival that.

That's outdated, So I don't think that will happen anytime soon ;)

Nonsense! The website seems most legit.

Im pretty sure we will see a IP based area which will see Sonic and Squirell Nutty rethemed/renamed and then a couple of new minor rides in that area. Something along the lines of Thomas Land and Nickelodeon Land, both of which have been very popular.

On the TT@10 event Mark seemed very keen on bringing more IPs on park after the sucess of Ice Age.

Eddie said:
BigAl said:
Retheme CCL to something Dr Seuss related! ;D

Yes, but does that matter? If they're allowed to use it and they are absolutley desperate for an IP over something they create themselves then Dr Seuss would be okay, in my opinion. After all, the other Dr Seuss themed area is in a different park on the other side of the Atlantic, so I think they could get away with it.

The only problem would be that it'd have to at least match the brilliance of IOA's, so perhaps it might not be such a good idea? :p

NastyPasty said:
It isn't broken? It's terrible. The only attractions that ever get any guests are the Twirling Toadstool and the Ice Age. The whole area lacks any kind of consistency and rides like Frog Hopper and the Twirling Toadstool are in dire need of some tlc!

And then there's Charlie... :l

Blaze said:
djtruefitt said:
On the TT@10 event Mark seemed very keen on bringing more IPs on park after the sucess of Ice Age.
Kill me.

Well it was easier than a IP in this day and age where the magic is harder to create with children more and more being influenced by technology. I'd be happy to see a IP mixing land.

And don't get me started on a Nintendo theme park. I've got pages full of ideas. But that's for another day.

Coaster Corner is small and as many IP rides are indoors, it being small makes it now swarm IP's over the park and it being hidden doesn't ruin any of CCL's wacky themeing. It can be quiet to not make noise for residents.

CoasterCrazyChris said:
Stelios said:
CCL's wacky themeing. It can be quiet to not make noise for residents.

What theming? Asides from the entrance sign, there isn't any!

The anything goes make believe feel. But your right, their isn't much physical themeing. That's why Ice Age and Charlie work there.

The best theming that the area had from the retheme was on the theatre building and the themed centrepiece in front of it with the pipes and flowers. Of course this is all gone now, although I do like Ice Age.

Other than that it is just Cred Street with a different paint job.

:)

BigAl said:
NastyPasty said:
It isn't broken? It's terrible. The only attractions that ever get any guests are the Twirling Toadstool and the Ice Age. The whole area lacks any kind of consistency and rides like Frog Hopper and the Twirling Toadstool are in dire need of some tlc!

And then there's Charlie... :l

The Twirling Toadstool provides a great blender between family and thrill, and although it needs a bit of love it could easily become the ride it used to be in previous incarnations. Frog Hopper looks messy and in my opinion would be better suited to the farmyard, but this could be cured with virtually no expense. Gallopers looks lovely and it's important to maintain a traditional carousel in most parks I believe. Ice Age may not blend well but the Alton pulled off the transition as well as possible. Charlie is a mess, I agree, and it thoroughly bores me now, but a retheme is on the cards anyway sooner or later. The Driving School is immensely popular with younger guests and blends in well to the area. The shops and eateries are of good quality (minus Burger King) and Wobble World is always there for kids when it rains.

I've heard great things about the Dr. Seuss area, but I don't believe Alton would ever have a need to replicate the IP - comparison would only highlight the flaws and Alton could never compete with American big budget parks.

I'd prefer to see the theme maintained and the next IP to be something British, and unique. Storybook Land could easily be updated and merged with Adventure Land. I'd probably quite like to see an entire CBBC or CBeebies themed area rather than just having such a huge space of land occupied by just one principal idea. :)

I actually don't think that kids care much for the Driving School. We've visited the park a few times over the past few months and it has hardly been used, even though queues for everything else are increasing.

Also, using an IP is the exact opposite of uniqueness. Alton's own themes are far superior to the IP's that they've introduced and they ought to realise that instead of bringing in something that will clash with CCL's surroundings and stand for the exact opposite of magic and escapism. Something quaint and cute that works with the Towers and the natural beauty of the surrounding area would be nicer.

The whole area lacks any coherency and I feel that Alton might be better to just remove everything and start again with a blank canvas. It's a pretty big area and they could make it even bigger if they introduced some of Coaster Corner. There are too many buildings with nothing in that could be put to better use as well.

If they kept Sir Algernon and his show and of course Snorlix! Then we would be fine! I think its a real shame they got rid of the show. The whole of Cloud Cuckoo Land could have been themed around his adventures. Do they even still sell Snorlix's in the shops now?