• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Alton Towers Buses 2014

Just been on Alton towers website, I'm thinking of coming down for February half term, and noticed that the time table for there busses has not been published, as they normally have the winter timetable on if your staying at the hotel.
Have Alton towers removed there bus service this year or are they doing a new service?
Unfortunately I don't drive thanks. Adam

Re: Alton towers busses not on there website?

If the website hasn't been updated yet, it gives the impression to me that the service has been scaled back further.

Your best bet for transport now would be to see what First do in the local area unfortunately.

For February Half Term the winter bus timetable still applies!

This means 7:05 from Leek/7:45 from Stoke station getting in to Towers at 8:30, and then leaving the park at 3:45pm and 6pm :)

What a joke.

The council should hold them to account.

Best bet is to use the 32a from Hanley Bus station.. if you want a later bus!

You would think a theme park would put more buses on really

Thanks guys.as I travel from preston I only know stoke on Trent railway station to get to alton towers, and tbh, 7:45 bus I would never make it to stoke on time, very occasionally, virgin ins have been delayed or cancelled early morning.

I just looked on National Rail for you. For an extra 40 min on the train you can get to Uttoxeter (with the same number of changes).

First run busses from the station to the park. The 32A

Be aware that, at busy times last year, the 32A bus was too busy to take everybody from Uttoxeter station, leaving people stranded until the next bus two hours later (unless they took a taxi).

It's expected that the Alton Towers-operated bus service will be cut completely for guests after February Half Term this year. I don't see how there will be any feasible nor reliable public transport option to the park for guests living outside the local area this year. This is especially a problem on Sundays, when trains on the Stoke - Derby line (for Uttoxeter) often don't start running until late in the day.

Alton Towers Transport was completely overwhelmed at peak times last year from Stoke, especially during Scarefest. People were just left behind because there was so much demand, even with three buses put on!

There is more than enough demand, and they really need to work with First to create more capacity, not reduce it.

Ollie said:
Alton Towers Transport was completely overwhelmed at peak times last year from Stoke, especially during Scarefest. People were just left behind because there was so much demand, even with three buses put on!

There is more than enough demand, and they really need to work with First to create more capacity, not reduce it.

Unfortunately they'd rather cut back the bus services and tell everyone to use the 32A than show some responsibility and run their own buses. Not only does the 32A get VERY busy as it is especially at 9am (I know from experience working the park last year) but a lot of the time it is usually full by the time it gets to Cheadle often leaving staff stranded.

The only real options now are splitting a rather extortionate taxi cost, risking the 32A or visiting in off peak/other parks.

What a joke.

I was considering applying for a job there this year, as the Towers buses come right by my house, but if they're scaling back that much, I think I'll leave it! I spoke to a member of staff while waiting for the 32A one Sunday in Hanley and she said that the times for the 32A meant a lot of late staff!

That's the trouble - First have no obligation or need to run a more frequent or higher capacity service, so they don't.

Alton Towers should be listening to their own Long Term Development Plan and encouraging usage of public transport like they bloody said they would. Invest in it and people will come!!

What a joke! It almost makes me wonder if this is some deliberate ploy to encourage people to drive to the park and fork out the £6 parking fee.

Some info on buses to and from Towers from March. This comes from the VOSA Bus registration Site (Search for ALTON TOWERS RESORT OPERATIONS LTD)

Cancellations of Leek to Alton Towers service, but a registration for Leek to Alton Towers service going via Hanley, Cheddleton, Longton & Cheadle

PD1079782/11 - ALTON TOWERS RESORT OPERATIONS LTD, HUMAN RESOURCES DEPT, ALTON TOWERS, STAFFS, STOKE-ON-TRENT, ST10 4DB

Cancellation Accepted: Operating between Leek Bus Station and Alton Towers resort given service number LP effective from 22-Mar-2014.

Cancellation Accepted: Operating between Leek Bus Station and Alton Towers Resort given service number LPS effective from 22-Mar-2014.

PD1079782/14 - ALTON TOWERS RESORT OPERATIONS LTD, HUMAN RESOURCES DEPT, ALTON TOWERS, STAFFS, STOKE-ON-TRENT, ST10 4DB

Registration Accepted
Starting Point: Leek Bus Station
Finish Point: Alton Towers Resort
Via: Hanley, Longton & Cheadle
Service Number: E1
Service Type: School or Works
Effective Date: 22-MAR-2014
Other Details: 2 inbound every day(3 on Sunday) 3 outbound services

Registration Accepted
Starting Point: Leek Bus Station
Finish Point: Alton Towers Resort
Via: Cheddleton, Longton and Cheadle
Service Number: E2
Service Type: School or Works
Effective Date: 22-MAR-2014
Other Details: Daily one inbound one outbound service

Note 'Service Type: School or Works'

It's probably exclusively for staff as opposed to being a public service - since the majority of staff live in these places.

The car park money was meant to be put towards local transport and alternative forms of transport. This really annoys me.

They are not the green company they say they are!!

This is taken from the Alton Towers Long Term Development Plan (2012):

Alton Towers LTDP said:
The investment proposals in the first five years of the Long Term Plan would allow for further funding of the Resort’s own transport services to improve access to the site by staff and guests based around non-car and multi-modal access (bus and rail/bus). Investment in signage and the local road infrastructure would also take place.

Hmmm yeah, maybe not! I know plans change but it is quite a dramatic change that I'm surprised they are being allowed to get away with by the council. It's not exactly going to work in their favour in the future.

:)

Its interesting, i'm sure in their plans for new rides, they always go on about how they will bring xx amount in to the park, and they will provide transport, etc, etc. Yet it seems they are cutting the lot!

I would have thought Towers could make plenty of money if they had the right services, at the right time. For example most of the current (or past) bus services got in after park opened and left before park closed, hardly making people want to get the bus.

I imagine it's a big cost cutting thing! Just a shame a big company like First or someone couldn't offer a really good direct to towers service.