• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Alton Towers Dark Themes, time for a change?

Yeah, no. I'm a big fan of darker themed attractions, and I agree with the sentiments from other people above that it's an easy option for parks to go for as it's much more marketable than lighter themed attractions. I know for me personally I would be much more intrigued at the prospect of a dark, foreboding attraction than I would one with a happy theme.

However, one point I must agree upon, is that for the most part it is quite overdone. I think in terms of areas with big thrill rides lends themselves to such a theme, however I do think there should be additional areas with predominently flat rides (maybe even a family coaster or two) that are themed a bit lighter. Towers does lean very heavily into the darker themes, but I can definitely see why. Darker themes gets the audience talking, allows for the age old 'you need to be X years old' and 'this ride is SO SCARY that you need to sign a WAIVER' talk that loves to get members of the public talking - it's free press that doesn't cost the park a penny, so I can totally see why they do it.

When I was wandering around Dark Forest on my last visit I thought it could be quite easily re-worked into some kind of 'land of inventions'.

It could be centered around the earls experiments and various contraptions as a bit of sequel to Hex, and would be a good excuse to add some much needed flat rides to the area.

What with the park catering more for families, there does have to be a good mix of themes. Katanga Canyon could do with a little re-work. Strengthen its theme a bit. I miss UgLand loads, I thought that was really well implemented. Rita kind of spoilt it after it was added. I do wish when a new "big" attraction is added, the land it sits in is either themed to the rest of the area, of the theme of the ride tied in with the rest of the land.

Thought I'd revisit this thread since John Burton mentioned about the potential of more whimsical themes in the parks near future in this video.

As much hope this brings me, I'm still skeptical. We've all seen how he manages non horror themes with The World of David Walliams and World of Jumanji, with those areas being considered just decent at best here.

Thought I'd revisit this thread since John Burton mentioned about the potential of more whimsical themes in the parks.
That was my question 🥰 I'm such a huge fan of the theme side of parks but also quite a wimp so would absolutely love to see more variation! I feel much the same as you regarding the answer... very much wait and see... I think give it some time and we could see more immersion. John has documented himself visiting some great parks... hopefully market research!

That was my question 🥰 I'm such a huge fan of the theme side of parks but also quite a wimp so would absolutely love to see more variation! I feel much the same as you regarding the answer... very much wait and see... I think give it some time and we could see more immersion. John has documented himself visiting some great parks... hopefully market research!
I just hope he understands what made former whimsical attractions like Professor Burps Bubbleworks, Tinkaboo Adventure, and Cloud Cuckoo Land so whimsical. They were very British and charming in their core, and I think its something a lot of Merlins newer investments mostly lack.

Last edited:
Regarding the dark theme, I agree this is a problem but the really issue is that it goes from something so kiddie like Cbeebies Land or TWODW or extreme like FV, Dark Forest or frankly everywhere else on the park, there is literally no middle ground which the park has lost since Ug Land.

Ironically, I do suspect that the lack of a family themed area at Towers is perhaps a reason why Drayton have gone into the family market fully as even they wouldn’t have gone unnoticed by them of seeing possibly a large vacuum in the family market that Towers and perhaps Merlin as a whole have not cared about and that Drayton could attract a possibly lucrative market to the park if they pull this off.

Bottom line, what is Towers' loss could be Drayton's gain and of Drayton can make this work, one that doesn't require an IP theme, then it might give Towers a pie in the face that their overkill on dark themes might come back to bite them.

I think maybe the reason towers always go with dark themes is because it's a lot easier to pull off. The best themed coasters in this country all have dark themes; Wicker man, Swarm, Saw. I think a nice theme is a bit harder to pull off for whatever reason

If you look at majority of European theme parks, dark themes are not very popular, most of the biggest coasters in central Europe have non-dark themes. I feel like the UK has a fixation on fear at theme parks, and less so theming and world immersion, which is why most parks are full of rowdy teens thinking they're hard, it attracts a bad audience imo

Problem is, Alton towers is history. It’s dark, mysterious, almost mythical in its very nature. It’s in the name, the feel of the place, it’s in the air. The location. The journey to the park. There’s no other park like it, in the world, bar none.

Alton is at its best when it leans into its sense of history, place and lore be it in attractions (Alton manor, hex) , events (Terror of the towers, fireworks) or atmosphere (forbidden valley, x sector)

We should have more Henry hound, more Alton Towers “lore” for the long term. More use of the towers. More Alton ancestors. More sir algenon. More unique characters.

The idea of chucking an Egypt land or the Wild West without some sort of rhyme or reason just doesn’t work.

No reason we can’t do more upbeat themes, but they should still tie in “magical forests” etc

Problem is, Alton towers is history. It’s dark, mysterious, almost mythical in its very nature. It’s in the name, the feel of the place, it’s in the air. The location. The journey to the park. There’s no other park like it, in the world, bar none.

Alton is at its best when it leans into its sense of history, place and lore be it in attractions (Alton manor, hex) , events (Terror of the towers, fireworks) or atmosphere (forbidden valley, x sector)

We should have more Henry hound, more Alton Towers “lore” for the long term. More use of the towers. More Alton ancestors. More sir algenon. More unique characters.

The idea of chucking an Egypt land or the Wild West without some sort of rhyme or reason just doesn’t work.

No reason we can’t do more upbeat themes, but they should still tie in “magical forests” etc
Agreed, for me Efteling is what Alton towers could be, it's a similar setting.

The reason they go for dark themes is because it's cheaper to maintain (or leave to rot in many cases). JW stated this in a previous interview when questioned about why Merlin do this.

Imo it's quite depressing walking around the park these days, with almost every area being a darker theme. I was never a massive fan of Ug Land when Rita was implemented, but atleast is was upbeat and tidier than the current mess that's there now.

Lets hope the 'new Merlin' can be a bit more creative moving forward.

I think alton towers would be a much better park if (other than cbeebies land) there wasn't specific areas for family's or thrill seekers, having at least one ride in each area that everyone could enjoy. I think Dark Forest should be rethemed when they get rid of Rita but I don't think they should use that land for a new coaster, I think a well themed Fairytale forest type area would work really well (maybe with a new dark ride or some good flats) and with a darker section towards the back with Thirteen. I think forbidden Valley already is decent and works well as an alien/space themed area just needs more focused theming and a flat ride which hopefully we will get with the nemesis retrack. I think X-Sector Needs to be updated to be more cohesive and well themed, I think a futuristic or cyberpunk type theme would work very well and would tie in with the current rides well without having to rebrand them. I hope David Walliams land goes but i don't know what it would be rethemed to. maybe something to fit in with project horizons theme?

Most thrill rides are meant to be scary / thrilling hence their collective name. Giving them a calm happy relaxing theme kind of goes against the whole premise of being there in the first place doesn't it?

Queuing for a highly thrilling coaster with a silly happy theme for me just doesn't work as well.

And also as others have said if you go with a darker theme the upkeep is lower as you can let the paint fade etc.

Personally I'd rather they stick with the dark themes. If you want happy go to Legoland. Hahaha

The reason they go for dark themes is because it's cheaper to maintain (or leave to rot in many cases). JW stated this in a previous interview when questioned about why Merlin do this.
Not really if Smiler these days is anything to go by in which I bet they don't even spend anything on maintenance in terms of TLC.

Most thrill rides are meant to be scary / thrilling hence their collective name. Giving them a calm happy relaxing theme kind of goes against the whole premise of being there in the first place doesn't it?

Queuing for a highly thrilling coaster with a silly happy theme for me just doesn't work as well.

And also as others have said if you go with a darker theme the upkeep is lower as you can let the paint fade etc.

Personally I'd rather they stick with the dark themes. If you want happy go to Legoland. Hahaha
Air and Galactica, Hyperia, Stealth, Sik, The Big One, Hero, Icon, The Smiler, Rita (mk 1), Colossus, Mandrill Mayhem, Spinball Whizzer are just some coasters that spring to mind that don't have dark themes. Thrilling doesn't have to be scary. The dictionary definition is a sudden feeling of excitement and pleasure. For some people they can only get their thrills if they're scared, but that isn't thrilling in itself.

Air and Galactica, Hyperia, Stealth, Sik, The Big One, Hero, Icon, The Smiler, Rita (mk 1), Colossus, Mandrill Mayhem, Spinball Whizzer are just some coasters that spring to mind that don't have dark themes. Thrilling doesn't have to be scary. The dictionary definition is a sudden feeling of excitement and pleasure. For some people they can only get their thrills if they're scared, but that isn't thrilling in itself.
If Smiler's theme isn't dark then I don't know what is! 😉

Some rather big flaws with this argument though.....

1. Most of those rides you've named don't have any theme really though. They have a station and no theming whatsoever after it in most of those rides you mentioned.

2. A few of them are family rides so again not relevant to what I said.

3. Smiler is definitely a dark theme. You've totally missed the point of it if you haven't picked up on that by now.

I also said dark themes work better as themes. It adds to the build up and tension for riders who might be a bit nervous pre ride.

Some rather big flaws with this argument though.....

1. Most of those rides you've named don't have any theme really though. They have a station and no theming whatsoever after it in most of those rides you mentioned.

2. A few of them are family rides so again not relevant to what I said.

3. Smiler is definitely a dark theme. You've totally missed the point of it if you haven't picked up on that by now.

I also said dark themes work better as themes. It adds to the build up and tension for riders who might be a bit nervous pre ride.
Thrill coasters bring excitement and pleasure, they bring a thrill. A family coaster can be a thrill coaster, the terms aren't mutually exclusive. Wickerman, Vampire and Thirteen are family thrill coasters, with dark themes. Spinball Whizzer is a family thrill coaster, but without a dark theme. You can't discount family rides because some of them conveniently don't meet your view of what a thrill coaster needs to be.

The act of jumping out of a plane, or bungee jumping, in and of itself is deemed to be thrilling. Is it scary? Yes, the act itself is a bit scary, the same as being thrown around a track at speed in a metal box; but is jumping out of a plane ever marketing in a dark way? No, not really. Again the two terms, thrilling and scary are not mutually exclusive.

In my previous list of 12 coasters, let's remove 4 of them (3 x Blackpool rides and SIK) because there's not really much theming going on there at all (but that's not most). With Icon that's actually on purpose, they wanted to market it more as an experience. Rita, arguably, worked better with its light theme of being an out of control drag car than it does as a dark themed coaster.

UK coasters have tended to rely on dark themes, as pointed out by others previously. I don't want to go on a massive listing exercise, but when we look further afield we can see that actually quite a few of the most thrilling coasters in the world, don't actually have dark theming.

Shambhala (themed around trying to find a land of happiness), Superman The Ride, The Incredible Hulk, Blue Fire, F.L.Y., Taron... heck even the fastest and tallest ride in the world Kingda Ka doesn't have a dark or scary theme. These rides are considered to be scary, because of how they look, definitely thrilling, but they're not themed specifically around a scary subject. No one's coming at you with a chainsaw, there's no creepy girl telling you not to go down to the woods, there's no mysterious alien, you're not being sacrificed and burned in a wooden effigy.

So no, I disagree with the statement "Most thrill rides are meant to be scary.". Thrilling is an experience of excitement and pleasure, as we've previously explored. Giving them a calm, happy relaxing theme doesn't necessarily kind of go against the whole premise of being there in the first place.

Last edited: