• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Alton Towers Future Accommodation

Josh

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Nemesis
I thought I would start the ball rolling on speculation of any new accommodation that Towers may be adding in the coming years, as its been nearly 10 years since the last hotel.

Do you think they will be adding a new, expensive hotel? Or going for the cheaper, budget accommodation? And what possible locations could they use?
Post your thoughts below!

I for one hope that they will be adding cheapy budget accommodation soon, similar to Tipidorf at EP, with log cabins etc, and maybe some good entertainment. Possibly in the field next to ATH, where the Scarefest mazes are located.

to be honest even though i designed a hotel for the site next to ATH for my Post Grad degree project i would leave that site for now, as i think they need a more affordable hotel on resort, and i think the site in question would be best left to a future premium rate hotel.

i would use some of the grass parking area maybe as a site for a log cabin style accommodation. with the low level nature this sort of construction wouldn't be to obvious from outside of the park, due to the open nature of these fields there is little else they could use them for without extensive landscaping.

I expect to see some form of log cabins or something similar pop up in the coming years. With the economy as it is I feel Towers will see it important to have some form of budget accommodation so that they are able to attract a wider range of people to stay over on resort. I'd love to see a new hotel at some point but I'm not sure how feasible that is at present.

:)

Maybe the bit of field opposite the coach park? I think it would look nice with some log cabins there, and it's close to the park entrance.

^ like the idea of log cabins on site which could expand more into Alton towers having such things as them tree top walks think the company is "go ape" are something like that. Also that could lead to more outside the actual park

Rob said:
I expect to see some form of log cabins or something similar pop up in the coming years. With the economy as it is I feel Towers will see it important to have some form of budget accommodation so that they are able to attract a wider range of people to stay over on resort. I'd love to see a new hotel at some point but I'm not sure how feasible that is at present.

They have always basically said they won't build budget accommodation on resort - one of the reasons being local B&B's etc. On this basis they would also get lots of objections from locals when the planning application is submitted.

Also, remember from Mark's presentation at TT@10 he mentioned they had helped Cheadle secure planning permission for a budget hotel.

Hmm good point I'd forgotten about that. I still think they will go down the route of log cabins next, even if they are not exactly budget. Log Cabins can also be a more premium product in some cases depending on their size and what is inside of them. I do think that the next lot of accommodation will fall below the price range of Slpash but maybe it won't be low enough to be classed as budget.

I love the log cabin concept, I would go on the furthest car park area (near to where boiler house used to be). The land is already flat, and could be re-turfed and planted on.

I would have these style of cabins:
comp%20a%20frame%20x%204.JPG

Built into little clusters together, each cluster with its own colour theme, or tree theme etc.
a%20frame%20x%206%20c.JPG

Those cabins have a nice downstairs open space for a large sofa(bed) and TV space. There is a downstairs loo and a double bedroom downstairs too. Upstairs has a gallery type bedroom that is another double.

This makes these cabins usable in theory for upto 6 people, but ideal for families of 4.

---

Then Id love a stonebuilt central hub for reception. Similar to Sequia Lodge @ DLP.
images

That would contain the reception and childrens entertainment area on the ground floor.
Disneys-Hotel-Cheyenne-Lobby-3.jpg

It would of course need a large stone fireplace as a focal piece for the hotel.

Upstairs would have a large open gallery to walk around - and a bar and the centres new BBQ restaurant. Both woodland themed. The bar needs to have a huge covered balcony with rocking chairs to take in views of the woods and other huts.

Evening activities could include nature trails for the families, and a camp fire singalong in the summer months.

-yes i've thought about this alot.

I am the resurrection said:
^ like the idea of log cabins on site which could expand more into Alton towers having such things as them tree top walks think the company is "go ape" are something like that. Also that could lead to more outside the actual park

I think that would be an awesome idea! They could have a sort of centerparks style accommodation area, with log cabins, amusements, entertainment, and 'go ape' style attractions in the trees :D would certainly give you more reasons to make a short holiday out of staying there :)

Looking back at the Long Term Development Plan (LTDP) from 2009, they did mention some sort of Lodge / Camp and also propose areas for these as well as other accommodation options. The meadows / field car parks we're mostly retained due planned expansion of the current carparks to make them less of a 'sea of tarmac' and add more plants etc into them.

b1f7bc0222d344609f54d1d.png

Camping/caravanning site is the obvious choice for me. It costs nearly nothing to set up (couple of toilet blocks and some electricity hook up points) or maintain (mow the grass, clean the toilets) but would bring in consistent money, nearly all at a pure profit. That's the sort of thing they like!

It also would probably not effect either their own hotels or local b+b's business too much as it is often a different type of person willing to camp, and would really push the muti-day stay they long for, with a captive audience spending across the resort.

pluk said:
Camping/caravanning site is the obvious choice for me. It costs nearly nothing to set up (couple of toilet blocks and some electricity hook up points) or maintain (mow the grass, clean the toilets) but would bring in consistent money, nearly all at a pure profit. That's the sort of thing they like!

It also would probably not effect either their own hotels or local b+b's business too much as it is often a different type of person willing to camp, and would really push the muti-day stay they long for, with a captive audience spending across the resort.

I'm not too sure that the Resort would want this to be honest, they really are pushing for an upmarket feel across the Resort now and camping may be too 'cheap' for them. If a campsite was built it would no doubt be extortionate to camp there.

Ollie said:
I'm not too sure that the Resort would want this to be honest, they really are pushing for an upmarket feel across the Resort now and camping may be too 'cheap' for them. If a campsite was built it would no doubt be extortionate to camp there.

You are probably right, but if they are going for upmarket they've got a funny way of showing it in many areas! I'm pretty sure they just want the money, I doubt they really care where it comes from.

It would no doubt be expensive compared to other campsites, but nothing compared to sticking a family in the hotel.

pluk said:

they wouldn't do this due to the fact that theres a camping and caravaning club site about a mile away http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co ... px?id=6480

Ellie said:
Johno said:
Ellie said:
http://www.towersstreet.com/talk/future ... ges/

This is all the accommodation you will get for the next twenty years guys! :)

Well, I think you're possibly incorrect there.

I'd expect an expansion to the AT hotel at some point too.

It was a joke. :)

However, how will ATH expand? There isn't exactly much space?
If you look at the long term plan Aly posted above somewhere, you can see a shaded blue bit attached to the hotel which represents what could be an extension :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

I hope they do look to expand the resort activities as well, as whilst accommodation may expand, there isn't all that much to do. This includes night time entertainment too, which can include relaxing in a quiet bar, something not presently available in the two hotels

/blind Ellie, if they extended ATH it would get very crowded and I fear that the hotel would have a very claustrophobic feel about it, though it could be done! :)

With the opening of the new resort, ATH may turn into a more adult based hotel. *fingers crossed*