• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Alton Towers or Europa Park; which of TowersStreet’s focus parks has the stronger coaster selection?

Alton Towers or Europa Park; which of TowersStreet’s focus parks has the stronger coaster selection?

• Total voters

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Hi guys. We may discuss pretty much all worldwide theme parks on TowersStreet, but we have two main focus parks, if you like; Alton Towers in Staffordshire and Europa Park in Germany. The two parks are very different parks in many ways, but one way in which they are similar is that they both have pretty extensive roller coaster selections. Europa Park has 13 roller coasters and Alton Towers has 10, and both parks are among the most roller coaster-heavy theme parks in Europe. With this in mind, I thought it might be interesting to ask; do you prefer the roller coaster selection of Alton Towers or Europa Park? Which of TowersStreet’s main focus parks do you feel has the stronger coaster selection?

I thought this might be interesting to ponder because I don’t think the results would be quite as predictable as if I did a simple “Alton vs Europa” poll. If I simply asked “do you prefer Alton or Europa?”, I can sense that at least 99% of people on here would vote for Europa given this site’s uniquely emphatic fondness for Europa Park (based on my visit, I share in that fondness and think that it’s 100% deserved, but I can’t deny that TowersStreet seems to revere Europa to a level beyond that of other enthusiast groups). However, I think talking exclusively about the parks’ roller coasters levels the playing field a tad more. Roller coasters are widely considered to be one of Alton Towers’ greatest strengths at present, whereas they are sometimes considered to be a relative weakness of Europa Park.

I’ll get the ball rolling with my own opinion.

Personally, I'm actually not too sure. My pick could easily depend on my mood, I think, as both parks' coaster selections have points of strength over the other for me.

The points in favour of Europa are:
  • Europa's top 3 averages a little stronger than Alton's for me, with Wodan and Silver Star both being 10/10s and usurping any coaster at Alton for me and Blue Fire rounding it off at a solid 9/10, thus averaging a rating of 9.7/10 and a ranking of #9/111 overall. Whereas, only Wicker Man is a 10/10 at Alton for me and Oblivion and Nemesis are both 9/10s, so Alton's top 3 averages a rating of 9.3/10 and a ranking of #11.7/111 overall for me.
  • Europa has more coasters to pick from.
The points in favour of Alton are:
  • The mean rating and ranking of the overall selection at Alton stand slightly higher for me. Even including Octonauts, Alton averages a rating of 6.6/10 and a ranking of #43.1/111 overall for me, while Europa only manages a rating of 6.3/10 and a ranking of #44.9/111 overall even with me not having ridden Ba-a-a Express (Ba-a-a would probably drag the average down further if I had ridden it).
  • Among the non-kiddie coasters, I don't think Alton has anything I rate quite as lowly as Poseidon or Euro-Mir. Although as said above, that could be offset by Europa simply having more coasters.
Tell you what, I'll try and determine a victor by doing a like-for-like comparison of my #1-9 ranked coasters (all of the ranking spots that both parks can fill with a non-kiddie coaster) at each park and see which one wins the most comparisons:
RankingEuropa Park CoasterAlton Towers CoasterWinner
1Silver Star (10/10, #3/111 overall)Wicker Man (10/10, #8/111 overall)Europa
2Wodan (10/10, #6/111 overall)Oblivion (9/10, #11/111 overall)Europa
3Blue Fire (9/10, #18/111 overall)Nemesis Reborn (9/10, #16/111 overall)Alton
4CanCan Coaster (8/10, #24/111 overall)Rita (8/10, #26/111 overall)Europa
5Pegasus (7/10, #29/111 overall)Thirteen (7/10, #31/111 overall)Europa
6Arthur (7/10, #32/111 overall)Runaway Mine Train (6/10, #40/111 overall)Europa
7Alpenexpress (7/10, #39/111 overall)The Smiler (6/10, #42/111 overall)Europa
8Schweizer Bobbahn (6/10, #44/111 overall)Galactica (4/10, #77/111 overall)Europa
9Atlantica SuperSplash (4/10, #73/111 overall)Spinball Whizzer (4/10, #85/111 overall)Europa
So that actually returns quite an emphatic win for Europa Park, with Alton Towers only winning 1 out of 9 comparisons. However, you only need to look at how closely matched some of the rankings are to see how the winner could quite easily be determined by my mood on a given day.

I'll vote Europa for today, though I think it's quite a close call. But which park do you think has the stronger coaster selection?

Last edited:
You can't really include AlpenExpress in that list either as no one has ridden it in its current state yet. Agree that it's better to wait until the new attractions are fully open.

Hi guys. We may discuss pretty much all worldwide theme parks on TowersStreet, but we have two main focus parks, if you like; Alton Towers in Staffordshire and Europa Park in Germany. The two parks are very different parks in many ways, but one way in which they are similar is that they both have pretty extensive roller coaster selections. Europa Park has 13 roller coasters and Alton Towers has 10, and both parks are among the most roller coaster-heavy theme parks in Europe. With this in mind, I thought it might be interesting to ask; do you prefer the roller coaster selection of Alton Towers or Europa Park? Which of TowersStreet’s main focus parks do you feel has the stronger coaster selection?

I thought this might be interesting to ponder because I don’t think the results would be quite as predictable as if I did a simple “Alton vs Europa” poll. If I simply asked “do you prefer Alton or Europa?”, I can sense that at least 99% of people on here would vote for Europa given this site’s uniquely emphatic fondness for Europa Park (based on my visit, I share in that fondness and think that it’s 100% deserved, but I can’t deny that TowersStreet seems to revere Europa to a level beyond that of other enthusiast groups). However, I think talking exclusively about the parks’ roller coasters levels the playing field a tad more. Roller coasters are widely considered to be one of Alton Towers’ greatest strengths at present, whereas they are sometimes considered to be a relative weakness of Europa Park.

I’ll get the ball rolling with my own opinion.

Personally, I'm actually not too sure. My pick could easily depend on my mood, I think, as both parks' coaster selections have points of strength over the other for me.

The points in favour of Europa are:
  • Europa's top 3 averages a little stronger than Alton's for me, with Wodan and Silver Star both being 10/10s and usurping any coaster at Alton for me and Blue Fire rounding it off at a solid 9/10, thus averaging a rating of 9.7/10 and a ranking of #9/111 overall. Whereas, only Wicker Man is a 10/10 at Alton for me and Oblivion and Nemesis are both 9/10s, so Alton's top 3 averages a rating of 9.3/10 and a ranking of #11.7/111 overall for me.
  • Europa has more coasters to pick from.
The points in favour of Alton are:
  • The mean rating and ranking of the overall selection at Alton stand slightly higher for me. Even including Octonauts, Alton averages a rating of 6.6/10 and a ranking of #43.1/111 overall for me, while Europa only manages a rating of 6.3/10 and a ranking of #44.9/111 overall even with me not having ridden Ba-a-a Express (Ba-a-a would probably drag the average down further if I had ridden it).
  • Among the non-kiddie coasters, I don't think Alton has anything I rate quite as lowly as Poseidon or Euro-Mir. Although as said above, that could be offset by Europa simply having more coasters.
Tell you what, I'll try and determine a victor by doing a like-for-like comparison of my #1-9 ranked coasters (all of the ranking spots that both parks can fill with a non-kiddie coaster) at each park and see which one wins the most comparisons:
RankingEuropa Park CoasterAlton Towers CoasterWinner
1Silver Star (10/10, #3/111 overall)Wicker Man (10/10, #8/111 overall)Europa
2Wodan (10/10, #6/111 overall)Oblivion (9/10, #11/111 overall)Europa
3Blue Fire (9/10, #18/111 overall)Nemesis Reborn (9/10, #16/111 overall)Alton
4CanCan Coaster (8/10, #24/111 overall)Rita (8/10, #26/111 overall)Europa
5Pegasus (7/10, #29/111 overall)Thirteen (7/10, #31/111 overall)Europa
6Arthur (7/10, #32/111 overall)Runaway Mine Train (6/10, #40/111 overall)Europa
7Alpenexpress (7/10, #39/111 overall)The Smiler (6/10, #42/111 overall)Europa
8Schweizer Bobbahn (6/10, #44/111 overall)Galactica (4/10, #77/111 overall)Europa
9Atlantica SuperSplash (4/10, #73/111 overall)Spinball Whizzer (4/10, #85/111 overall)Europa
So that actually returns quite an emphatic win for Europa Park, with Alton Towers only winning 1 out of 9 comparisons. However, you only need to look at how closely matched some of the rankings are to see how the winner could quite easily be determined by my mood on a given day.

I'll vote Europa for today, though I think it's quite a close call. But which park do you think has the stronger coaster selection?
Interesting topic @Matt N. Think I’ll follow the same format as you.

1 Blue Fire Nemesis Towers
2 Wodan Smiler Towers
3 Silver star Wicker man Europa
4 Euro Mir Rita Towers
5 Eurosat Oblivion Europa
6 Poseidon Spinball Europa
7 Pegasus Th13teen Towers
8 Arthur Galactica Towers

Score Europa 3-5 Towers