• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Alton Towers Spa

Ben

TS Founding Member
Favourite Ride
Your Dad
So I visited the spa last week and my god what a mess its ended in due to the complete short sighted building around around it. I had visited the spa before Cbeebies Hotel was built and really enjoyed the visit - the spa was just a week old from a refurbishment so should have been in top condition.

I'll review it...

Entrance - small but nice, the staff member was lovely.

Mens changing room - (cant comment on the womens) - SMALL, so very small. A tiny L shaped room, a few lockers a bench and a door to the shower* (ill come back to the shower).

Walking into the spa area you find 2 steam rooms and a tropical shower on the walk to the main pool area and centre of the spa.
Sadly due to the demolition of the formally attached conservatory and raising of the land what was a huge light wall is now 3 very high windows - the entire area is now VERY VERY dark. Its quite gloomy, the spa have tried to ammend this by putting led candles on every surface, but this just makes it feel like a haunted house with a pool.

First room we visited the Traditional Sauna, which was warm, but not hot, it was nicely lit - thats it.

Then onto NEW FOR 2018 the Eucalyptus Sauna - it not a sauna, it has a smoke machine not a steamer - the old stunning room has been replaced by perspex and vinyl imitating tiles. Its also cold. Very cold. And the smoker rarely works.

Onto the Footspas - theres 3, only 2 were working a week out of refurb.

Onto the relaxation beds (sleepy room) - only half the LED ceiling was working - again a week out of refurb.

We did find ANOTHER NEW FOR 2018 future - the new outside 'log sauna'. (The old one was in the ATH garden but was too close to the new Cbeebies hotel so replaced) - with a new patio. Walled in as it is smack next to the Cbeebie entrance.
The sauna itself is an actual shed from B&Q, the benches and heater nailed to the walls, wood sheering underneath the seats, and wood glue melting on the walls. It was at least hot. But pitiful.

--

Having pretty much given in on the place, my friends went for another swim - I asked if I could have a drink, as there were price lists around, I could have one I asked where to sit, as the old seating area was the conservatory.
I was offered the patio (the fenced in prison next to the shed and cbeebies entrance) or benches hanging on the edge of the pool. I mean theres barely room to walk past without a person sat on them.

--

So I gave in and left, back to the changing room and the shower - which was covered in limescale and what looked like a significant amount of mould on the floor. What a finish.

--

I used to really like the spa, but I left feeling completely deflated and underwhelmed. Its become a dark and dingy place to spend time, the facilities either removed or replaced with poorer efforts, and those working were already tired or damaged after a week.
The 2 new features were decidedly done on the cheap and poor imitations of what they replaced.

But I dont know what else they can do, the building is completely boxed in and I dont think can be saved.

The changing rooms and shower have been in this poor condition for several years. Same with the on/off nature of the foot spas and the shed sauna. It hasn’t been in great condition for at least three years and rather than take the six month closure while the hotel extension was built as time to properly improve the spa and extend the changing rooms etc then just haven’t bothered doing anything significant to it.

The plans for a spa extension a while ago looked pretty good. I think it got a dedicated and themed entrance plus an extended outdoor area. Even without these additions I used to quite enjoy a visit.

Rather than implementing the plans to improve it, it sounds like they’ve gone in the opposite direction. A real shame, but perhaps not surprising given what has happened elsewhere at Towers. It’s like the Spa is now a small scale representation of what going on across the resort.

This is such a shame - a few years ago my partner and I used to love getting a cheapy off-season hotel stay and spa sesh, we used to really enjoy it!

It was never exactly the best spa in the world...
But it was good value for what you got realty, and it wasn’t bad!

Seems it’s gone badly downhill since I was last there :(

What a shame.

Has anyone got the old plans for what they wanted the Spa to look like a few years ago?
Didn’t they plan to have outdoor pools and things?

Totally agree, I went to the spa not long after CBeebies opened and it was awful. So dark inside and I cant believe they have ruined that lovely steam room!

I could overlook the tiny changing rooms for the view out of the conservatory when sipping a drink, or sitting in the large wooden sauna to the rear of the spa, but these have now gone.

Why CBeebies was stuck next to ATH I will never know. Next to Splash would have been a much better location - closer to the park, monorail, and waterpark and of course the "fun Carribean calypso" hotel (when its open).

hy CBeebies was stuck next to ATH I will never know. Next to Splash would have been a much better location - closer to the park, monorail, and waterpark and of course the "fun Carribean calypso" hotel (when its open).

They already had planning permission for an ATH extension, plus there isn't any space next to Splash without demolishing the mini golf really, or boxing the water park in further (limiting the possible expansion of the waterpark).

All that needed doing was an expansion of the spa out towards the car park / enchanted village, with new changing built in the extension and showers. If it was cubicles then could even be unisex changing similar to the waterpark. Then the old mens changing rooms could be used for something else. Adding extra new skylights above the pool, maybe even filling in part of the pool to make a new seating deck would have worked as a conservatory replacement. Or add a third/fourth Jacuzzi style pool and then remove the swimming pool all together, people go to a spa for a bubbly pool not a swimming one.
It would have been quite feasible to do all these fixes while the hotel extension was being built, adding new changing rooms and reconfiguring the pools, but I guess they don't see the spa as enough of a money earner to make it a fantastic facility and would rather leave it as average.

Could it be that the spa doesn’t generate enough money for them, so Towers can’t be arsed to spend any money on it.

Could it be that the spa doesn’t generate enough money for them, so Towers can’t be arsed to spend any money on it.

It must have a decent revenue to keep going, and its certainly not cheap for treatments and we couldn't get any mid-week in off season due to demand. It was moderately busy then, and I gather the evening weekend visits are popular with locals.
I cant imagine Merlin running anything that didn't bring money in..... treetop what now?

This really upsets me as the Spa used to be the jewel in the grubby crown, and considering it seems to have a refurb every year or so, although the decline has been evident over the last few years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be fair, I first went in the spa around 9 or 10 years ago and although the conservatory was still there, it doesn't sound like the standards decline is a recent thing.

The shower in the changing rooms and changing room floor wasn't clean, only 2 of the foot spas worked and they looked in poor condition, the steam room wasn't working, broken lights in the sauna, I couldn't make out if the whirlpool thing was not working properly or I just didn't get the point in it and there where LED's out in the relaxation room.

This doesn't surprise me at all. The first 4-5 years after the Spa first opened I thought the place was lovely, smallish yes, but it had everything. The swimming pool room was nice and light, nice views of the gardens and hotel, and the conservatory was nice place to chill with unlimited free drinks and fruit.

The original Eucalyptus steam room was also a personal favourite.

Sadly I stopped visiting the Spa around 2009-2010 due to Merlin's cutbacks and the place turning into yet another grubby shithole like the rest of Towers. Also, from what I've seen with the CBeebies hotel, the place has got even worse and I refuse to visit. Your review confirms it.

There are far, far, FAR better Spa's all over the country now. A lot of the new ones even have restuarants inside where you can dine in your robes and truly relax. Why would anyone use AT's facilties when there is so much better elsewhere?

Spa's also make a lot money, so it's unfathomable why Merlin don't realise this potential. The only explanation I can think of is that it was built at a time when the business model was different, and there was also a lot of focus on the conference and business facilities around the time of Splash Landings.

It was built when ATH was built as the hotel swimming pool. I remember you had to book a 2 hour slot in there, it would be packed! Changing rooms were bigger though. Anyway, spas have always been popular, and I still think the AT one is, but, the new hotel has definitely spoilt it

My local leisure centre charges £8.80 for a spa and swim session. You get a sauna, steam room, jacuzzi and use of the swimming pool. It's not half as nice looking as the facilities at Towers, the pool is annoyingly packed, the sauna benches are mostly broken and the steam room seems to be broken most of the time. But it is significantly cheaper.

Like most things at Towers, if it was ran better and well maintained it would most likely have a synonymous reputation for good quality and be able to command a sustainably high price tag to enter. But that would require long term strategy.....

It was built when ATH was built as the hotel swimming pool. I remember you had to book a 2 hour slot in there, it would be packed! Changing rooms were bigger though. Anyway, spas have always been popular, and I still think the AT one is, but, the new hotel has definitely spoilt it

I vaguely recall it's days as the hotel's swimming pool, only visited once as a kid. Obviously when Splash opened they no longer needed it, so the idea of converting the space into a Spa was brilliant.

Was definitely aimed at conference center guests though, as I'm sure there was a no children policy (the way it sound be), but guess that doesn't sit well with Merlin.

It's a shame the original plan for the hotel extension to be a spa hotel never came to fruitation. That with the spa improvements/extension would have been great to have seen.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Early season I use the spa at the Sandcastle next to BPB, good set of slides as well, and it is often very quiet in low season.
Did it all up a couple of seasons ago, very nice overall.

Sandcastle's spa is OK. It would be better if their sauna wasn't colder than my living room on a summer evening.