Alton Towers visitor figures through the years

Discussion in 'Talbot Street' started by Matt N, 19th Jan 2018.

1. AstroDan

AstroDan TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
    I don't recall ATR, certainly, being pocket-money-prices in the 90s. It was always expensive.

Prices at ATR for the 'gate price' typically go up at a more than inflation rate due to the fact that discounting is central to ticket buying.

The average admission price for ATR is under £30.

2. RicketyCricket

RicketyCricket TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    It would be interesting to know what percentage of guests actually pay full price. I'd imagine it's only foreign tourists who rock up and pay £58 on the gate.

Matt N likes this.
  3. DiogoJ42

DiogoJ42 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Metropolitan Line
    I don't doubt you, old bean.
    Unfortunately my first visit to AT wasn't until '98, and that was part of an organised coach trip that I don't recall the price of. Hence I had to base my old man grumblings on CWoA. Back in the days when penny sweets still existed, a pack of 20 fags cost under a fiver, and only tossers and TV FBI agents had mobile phones.

Jb85, Matt N and MaxPower like this.
  4. rob666

rob666 TowersStreet Member

Oh dear, my first packet of 20 fags, Lambert and Butler when they first came out, cost a whole 30p.
    I am that old!

Rick, DiogoJ42 and Matt N like this.
  5. Kraken27

Kraken27 TowersStreet Member

I know when I worked at Towers back in the early 2000's they quite openly told us in induction that the average guest spent at least as much as their admission cost again when on-park. This was back in the days of free FastTrack & McDonalds / KFC / Pizza hut brand partners for food, that all charged pretty much high-street prices.

Now that we have paid FastTrack & Merlin having a monopoly on the food offerings (bar Eastern Express), with associated higher prices, I would imagine the average guest spends a lot more nowadays.

NB: Many people on here are not "average" guests as they probably have premium MAP's so avoid the parking charge, visit regularly, don't buy FastTracks and take their own food / know the nearby places to stop off on the way to / way home from the park for normally priced food.

6. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    Right, I have an interesting Alton Towers attendance-related question for you all. I was always led to believe that Alton Towers' highest year of attendance in history was 1994, with just over 3,000,000 people visiting, with this number being closely followed by 2010. However, Wikipedia now states that 1999 was Alton Towers' most visited year, with the park attracting an obscenely high 4,195,000 visitors! Is this true? It seems a little strange to be Alton's highest year, as the only significant thing added was Ug Land.

Here's a link to the relevant part of Alton Towers' Wikipedia page so you can see what I mean: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alton_Towers#Annual_attendance

Posted 7th Nov 2019
  7. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    @Matt N I read on Wikipedia that you're a very negative young man

MaxPower, MattyH, Alastair and 9 others like this.
    Posted 7th Nov 2019
  8. Jb85

Jb85 TowersStreet Member

It’s interesting that the parks numbers seem somewhat linked to peaks in our economy

Matt N likes this.
    Posted 8th Nov 2019
  9. Tibble

Tibble TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    33,000,000 in 2000? I assume that's a typo

Posted 8th Nov 2019
  10. Tom

Tom TowersStreet Member

The TEA figures are pretty much guesses, and as for some of those two other figures on the Wikipedia page, they probably include vandalism. The two referenced ones are pretty much all we can go off.

Matt N likes this.
    Posted 8th Nov 2019
  11. Jb85

Jb85 TowersStreet Member

lol it actually went through that change - I edited that then forgot to post to say it’s easy to manipulate wiki

Tibble likes this.
    Posted 9th Nov 2019
  12. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

I went to AT once as a child and we only did it because my parents got vouchers from collecting Safeway points. Yet we went to Drayton Manor almost annually in the early 90s. I agree Alton Towers has always been expensive or at least perceived as expensive.