Alton Towers week on TV

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Steve74, 27th Oct 2020.

1. Thameslink Rail

Thameslink Rail TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    All 4 said 16 for me

Funcone likes this.
    Posted 4th Nov 2020
  2. Skyscraper

Skyscraper TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Was anyone else irked by the technical director calling Smiler's restraints a lap bar? :banghead:

Alsty and Thameslink Rail like this.
    Posted 4th Nov 2020
  3. Jonathan

Jonathan TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Helix <3
    I was more irked by the person who called all of the Smiler's inversions 'loops'. :p

Skyscraper likes this.
    Posted 4th Nov 2020
  4. Burbs

Burbs TowersStreet Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Untamed, Walibi Holland
    I'm more irked by this "being irked" at presumably non-geeks not using terminology mostly used by the theme park enthusiast community.

Stevie, pluk, AT86 and 5 others like this.
    Posted 4th Nov 2020
  5. MattyH

MattyH TowersStreet Member

On the basketball court inside the Matterhorn
    Favourite Ride:
    It's a small world
    Felt like the documentary should have been a series rather than a one off.

Skyscraper likes this.
    Posted 4th Nov 2020
  6. Kraken27

Kraken27 TowersStreet Member

I heard one instance of the F word & one of the B word that has two g's in the middle.

Posted 4th Nov 2020
  7. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    Is that anything to do with G-force?

Genuine question.

Skyscraper likes this.
    Posted 4th Nov 2020
  8. OilyWater

OilyWater TowersStreet Member

Someone else with more knowledge of physics would explain it much better. But as far as I understand it, G-force is a term for the acceleration per unit mass of an object, which is what you 'feel' during a ride. The train needs extra weight (mass x gravity) to give it the momentum to crest the hill, which also produces the effect of acceleration or weight that you feel.

So it just seems to me a roundabout layman's way of explaining the problem by saying the train needs more 'g-force' to make the circuit. It's not quite it but it's not like they're blaming it on something totally different.

Having said that the documentary didn't explain it very well, and seemed to make out they were talking only about the g-force effect on riders, probably because they didn't want to tell a TV audience "or the train will get stuck" like The Smiler did.

Last edited: 4th Nov 2020
    jon81uk and Skyscraper like this.
    Posted 4th Nov 2020
  9. Ally

Ally TowersStreet Member

Enjoyed the programme but mainly, like with the top gear segment, to see the footage in and around the park.

Though they touched on it would've liked to see more about the potential financial impact on the off season and beyond. Time it was filmed I guess everything was still very uncertain.

Skyscraper likes this.
    Posted 4th Nov 2020
  10. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

Was it me or did it feel like Tansy the admissions manager was working three times as hard compared to all the male managers shown? It certainly felt like she was putting a lot of effort in and trying very hard to keep the plaza safe and running well.

Was most interesting seeing the gardeners hacking at bushes and wasps nests on Nemesis. I never even thought about the fact the gardners would need to abseil! Also was it something like 40 wasp nests a week they spray!

Skyscraper and Ally like this.
    Posted 5th Nov 2020
  11. code-red

code-red TowersStreet Member

I actually thought she was the only person in the documentary that didn't come across well. In my opinion she seemed to come across very bossy and condescending towards the team, not what I would expect of a manager at Alton Towers. Also thought she was quite rude to the guests and seemed very flustered.

D4n, OilyWater, Nerdsticks and 2 others like this.
    Posted 5th Nov 2020
  12. jon81uk

She did seem flustered but I think she also said it’s her first year at the park so it’s not surprising having to implement a new untested system to deal with a new pandemic in a new job. I didn’t see too much bossyness and the couple of times she shouted was about people not following simple rules such as when staff were loitering in doorways and not distancing

Skyscraper and Alsty like this.
    Posted 5th Nov 2020
  13. pluk

pluk TowersStreet Member

I liked the gardeners; at any one time one working and two watching, while explaining there is far too much for them to do :laughing::laughing:

The documentary smelt of a rescue attempt after COVID stopped a full series being made? I wonder if there were plans for more initially.

jon81uk and Skyscraper like this.
    Posted 5th Nov 2020
  14. delta79

delta79 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis, Air
    With a quick bit about the history, i was wondering if it was meant to be a 40yrs of alton towers documentary

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

Skyscraper likes this.
    Posted 5th Nov 2020
  15. OilyWater

It seemed more like it was meant to be out in summer to win visitors back, by putting out a paid-for documentary to show the public the social distancing measures. Except that the result was pretty awful and pushed back to end of season instead?

There were lots of times I was wondering what any of this had to do with Alton Towers, there was so much padding.

It was like they filmed just 2 days on park, after all the re-opening procedures had already been sorted, and had to force a story where there wasn’t one. They also expected us to care about certain people that we had no apparent reason to care about, talking about themselves with no idea what this had to do with covid or Alton Towers.

Matt878787 likes this.
    Posted 5th Nov 2020
  16. Nerdsticks

Nerdsticks TowersStreet Member

Why did we randomly get a very small and irrelevant segment on that couple that went on Wicker Man? That bit was the most out of place, at least the others had something to say about Alton Towers, they were just talking about their marriage affected by corona.

Posted 6th Nov 2020
  17. OilyWater

Even the parts with the managers I wasnt sure what it had to do with anything or why this was on TV. It didnt capture much more than the news pieces about Alton Towers reopening back in summer and was more relevant then

Skyscraper likes this.
    Posted 6th Nov 2020
  18. jon81uk

It was mildly interesting to see how a business was putting in place Covid measures. But as you say, it could have been more interesting to watch back in the summer.
    Maybe with the reduced capacity the park didn't want it being shown earlier in the year as they were already getting enough guests?

Skyscraper likes this.
    Posted 6th Nov 2020
  19. Stevie

Stevie TowersStreet Member

Obviously never worked there :tearsofjoy:

Skyscraper likes this.
    Posted 6th Nov 2020
  20. Error

Error TowersStreet Member

Top Gear segment was bloody brilliant not because of Top Gear and cars but the drone capturing, especially through the smiler.

Top marks for the drone operator.

Some nice aerial views from the documentary also, quite enjoyed it overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mikw and Skyscraper like this.