• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Alton's Miniature Railway Locomotives

Mr P

TS Member
Now, a couple of years ago on certain other site, I did post this article, which shows the original locomotive from the Miniature Railway:

altonia_article_sept2010.jpg

Now, a second locomotive from the Alton line is located at the Amerton Railway. (Although, it says this one was never used at Towers, so there must be a third engine lurking somewhere as they did run two trains when the line was doubled) As far as I can tell, this one is not operational at present.

golspienew.jpg

http://amertonrailway.co.uk/new/about/locomotives/diesel/golspie/

:D

I've been quite intrigued by the old park locomotives as of late. I have plans to build a working miniature model (4mm scale narrow gauge - 009) based on one of them, most likely Altonia.
Trying to find a picture to show someone earlier, I've discovered what's become of her: She's on indefinite loan to the Old Kiln Light Railway and thankfully is in full working order.
http://www.oldkilnlightrailway.com/1769-altonia.php
Admittedly the brass could be polished a little more in these photos, but I'm happy that I finally know what's become of her.

As for your third engine, that would be Dunrobin, now located at East Links Family Park in Scotland.
http://www.eastlinks.co.uk/activities/train-safari

It is great to see that they actually advertise the running of an 'Alton Towers' heritage train - as the original 4 wheel coaches which ran on the line are at the Old Kiln Railway aswell.

Sadly as you say 'Golspie'/'Trentham Express' is not currently in working order - see this Flickr page with further images - Amerton Railway - Golspie ('Dunrobin'/'Trentham Flyer' is also included in this album).

Am I the only person that think Alton Towers need a railway line back?

Especially for those WHO DON'T LIKE CABLE FREAKING CARS!

I miss the railway :(

TheMan said:
Am I the only person that think Alton Towers need a railway line back?

Especially for those WHO DON'T LIKE CABLE FREAKING CARS!

I miss the railway :(

Nice dream, but I struggle to think of where they could actually run a worthwhile line now without some major disruption and expenditure, unless they just plonked one back where it used to be right through the Haunted Hollow and beyond :S

What would be wrong with that though?

I think they add something, and most kids and families love a go on a train! Imagine one passing by the lake, and round the towers, and up into Dark Forest somehow. So evocative.

I didn't say it was easy to implement, or probably even cost effective really, but when the Skyride is down the place is a nightmare to get around and I think you could sustain one pretty easily over all.

Look how many places have them. I don't buy that it would be too expensive given far smaller attractions run them. That, a new family coaster, and you have a complete family attraction linked up within a thrill park.

Makes simple sense to me I have to say.

Hey, I agree. I think it would add to the park. It was closed partly due to H&S though so think of the problems regarding that, especially if you wanted it to get around the lake etc. I just couldn't see Towers putting one back in at any point in the near future. But it would be something I'd welcome and the kiddies would love it (I just want to ride it to be honest)!

BarryZola said:
(I just want to ride it to be honest)!

Me too ;D - I think that says it all though! Who wouldn't :)

H&S yes, that is a mare nowadays - we coped before, it is a shame stringent regulation actually prevents wholesome fun, rather than enhances it.

With such open grounds it would be a total mare. I bet it could be done somehow though. Help it take a short route, well fenced - can't imagine it would cost all that much (relatively speaking of course in the grander scheme of things).

I just think it adds a real touch of class and magic to a park, I'm not even a train enthusiast or anything of that sort, but I feel something special left Alton along with the railway. Even as teenagers who were pretty, er, mad for it (sorry), we would wait half hour for a nice chilled out go on the train!

It is a universally endearing attraction IMO.

I read this and think "second to Disney" and there park railroad layout.

I like the idea of a narrow gauge railway running around the park.

I would love for the park to have a railway again. The main issue would, of course, be where to put it.

In other news, the Old Kiln Light Railway have posted a video of Altonia on their Facebook page, as well as a couple of other photos.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151441290292933
Her brass is looking much better now. I live about 70 miles west of the OKLR, and I'm seriously considering a visit.

Whilst volunteering on a staffordshire railway this conversation arose ....The third is in private collection. The condition i cant remember one is rotting the other is restored to a cosmetic level