• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Any theme park related Christmas presents?

Merry Christmas fellow theme park geeks :)

Just dragging this topic back up. Did anyone get any theme park related gifts this year?

‘Twas a few books for me.

Nbds9JB.jpg

Merry Christmas fellow theme park geeks :)

Just dragging this topic back up. Did anyone get any theme park related gifts this year?

‘Twas a few books for me.

Nbds9JB.jpg
Hope you had a nice Christmas; those books look interesting!

As for me, I got a nice canvas print of Infusion at BPB as well as a 40th anniversary notepad and pin badge from Alton Towers.

I also received the Thorpe Park book as a gift this year.

Previously I have enjoyed books relating to Disneyland, Universal Studios, Europa Park and Alton Towers.

Well, it's the thought that counts.

I never knew this Thorpe book even existed! If you guys enjoy it, I may well have to scout it out for my next theme park-related read!

Interested to hear reviews of the Thorpe book.

I thought the ending was a bit predictable.

I haven't read more than a few chapters so far, but I'm impressed with how well researched it is. It includes some primary sources (interviews) including with John Wardley. There's some interesting pieces about attractions that were planned but not built. Some I knew about, but some I didn't, like the re-theme of Wicked Witches Haunt that was planned before the fire. I gather he wrote a lot of it in the lockdown, which sounds very quick to write a book. But it doesn't feel like he cut corners. It's got over 500 footnotes with citations.

It's well written. It finds a balance between being professional and credible, without being gimmicy or pretentious. There are some jokes along the way. It ties Thorpe Park's story in with the wider UK industry. It's respectful of the park and avoids being overly picky, but it's not sycophantic. He's honest about where he thinks there were problems.

Speaking of the Thorpe book, even John Wardley himself gave it a very positive review on Amazon!

Combined with the pretty good reception on here, that spurred me to order my own copy!