• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Anyone know anything about Windows speech recognition?

DiogoJ42

TS Member
Favourite Ride
The Metropolitan Line
I'm attempting to set up the speech recognition function built in to windows 7, to control ATC communication on my flight simulator. Does anyone know anything about this novelty feature that never gets used?

Audio set up details:
Default audio device is a 7.1 surround system with a dedicated sound card.
Default communication device is an external USB dongle with my headset plugged in to it.

The speech recognition feature only seems to work with the "default audio device". If I switch that to being the external doodad, it works fine.

Anyone know if it is possible to get the SR using the headset, while everything else is still through the speakers? I feel like I'm missing some obvious step here.

Cheers guys.

After a hours of searching, I eventually managed to find an answer, so this truely is a fail thread. :p Oh well, never mind.

If anyone gives a smeg, This is how I found the obscure, hidden setting that tells windows what audio device to use.

Well at least you stand a good chance of winning fail thread of the year!

Also well done on finding an answer! That can often be a massive chore on the net for odd problems.