• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Anything in the area???

Cazefc123

TS Member
Planning on dropping my 16 yr old off with his 3 friends. I was gonna hang around the area for the day to save me travelling home then back again. Can anybody tell me if there is anything in the area for me to do, I will be alone. Even if there is any park and I could sit in with a book and a picnic.
Thanks.

You can kill half an hour or so going to see the chained oak. I'm guessing sitting in a pub for the day isn't an option if you are driving?

Go down to the bottom of the valley by the park, do the old train line walk, down to Ramblers Retreat, or go the other way and try to work out where King Ina's Rocks are...without paying a penny in admission to the Towers!
Ancient old forest, easy kill of an afternoon...very isolated, until you find you are fifty feet from the CBeebies Hotel!
Then do the hotels for a pint, and take the monorail back to the entrance for an easier walk back.

Assuming you have a car, park up at Froghall Wharf and walk along the Caldon canal to Consall Forge. This is where the Caldon Canal, Churnet Valley Railway and the Churnet river all intersect. There's a lovely old pub here called the Black Lion you can stop in for lunch. You can get a train back to Froghall from here or keep walking and get as far as Cheddleton which has a lovely old station and a Flint Mill (worth checking opening times though). When you get back to Froghall you can pop into Hetty's which is a really nice tearoom. Great day out, and one of my favourite places in Staffordshire.
FB_IMG_1719121547687.jpg

An ex-colleague mf mine has to do a similar trip to the OP - i.e. drop children off at Towers then kill time until time to pick them up. I am pretty sure she did the walk along the Churnet Valley to Dimmingsdale (which I believe is the route the 15th Earl took in his carriage on that cold night). She found a pub / tearoom for lunch then did the return journey.