• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Are Alton Towers actually having a good season?

You would think based on performance but the business models are vastly different.

Yep and Disney are majorly hurting as a lot of their income isn't from the tickets and hotels. No corporate entertainment or large gatherings at Epcot is really costing them. I don't think the Merlin parks are reliant on the additional income streams (in the main season anyway).

I do expect only one hotel to be open at Alton over the winter once the Santa event is done. With no conferences or events I think they are going to go into "hibernation" in the hotels.
But the park is doing fine and isn't getting as much negative queue publicity as Thorpe and Chessington.

Yep and Disney are majorly hurting as a lot of their income isn't from the tickets and hotels. No corporate entertainment or large gatherings at Epcot is really costing them. I don't think the Merlin parks are reliant on the additional income streams (in the main season anyway).

I do expect only one hotel to be open at Alton over the winter once the Santa event is done. With no conferences or events I think they are going to go into "hibernation" in the hotels.
But the park is doing fine and isn't getting as much negative queue publicity as Thorpe and Chessington.

On the flip side Disney have a bigger portfolio of businesses to keep their bottom line healthy and the parks are a big ambassador for the brand. On the flip side if Thorpe park sneezes Alton Towers gets a cold.

On the flip side Disney have a bigger portfolio of businesses to keep their bottom line healthy and the parks are a big ambassador for the brand. On the flip side if Thorpe park sneezes Alton Towers gets a cold.
(I'm getting a little off-topic but)

The movie, sport and television industries are not doing much better really. Disney are hoping that people will pay £20/$30 for Mulan on streaming as there aren't many cinemas open in the US. It was also meant to be a huge release for them in China and thats not really happening either. Movie-making is only just re-starting with distancing issues. With no sports happening ESPN wasn't doing much for them either. Disney the media company isn't in much better state unfortuantly.

and the use the same analogy as you, if Disney Shanghai gets a sneezes then Disneyworld Florida pays for the flu medicine!

(I'm getting a little off-topic but)

The movie, sport and television industries are not doing much better really. Disney are hoping that people will pay £20/$30 for Mulan on streaming as there aren't many cinemas open in the US. It was also meant to be a huge release for them in China and thats not really happening either. Movie-making is only just re-starting with distancing issues. With no sports happening ESPN wasn't doing much for them either. Disney the media company isn't in much better state unfortuantly.

and the use the same analogy as you, if Disney Shanghai gets a sneezes then Disneyworld Florida pays for the flu medicine!

I don’t disagree but I suspect Merlin will cut far harder than Disney. That said maybe Kirkby will be less profit hungry, but I doubt it.