• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Are you a "hands in the air" person or a "holding on tight" person when riding?

Hands in the air or holding on tight?

• Total voters

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Hi guys. When riding a coaster, you need to do something with your hands during the ride. Most people tend to do one of two things; either throw their hands up in the air, or hold onto the grab rail provided. So my question to you today is; are you typically a "hands in the air" person or a "holding on tight" person when riding? Or do you do neither, and do something else entirely? Or does it depend on the ride?

Personally, I'm actually a holding on tight person. I've always liked having something to hold onto on a ride for some reason; I don't know quite why, but it just makes me that tiny bit more comfortable for some reason.

But are you a "hands in the air" person or a "holding on tight" person, or are you neither?

Hang out the side screaming, waving at random strangers?
Or, if in the company of Big One Brian around Halloween, play dead all the way round and scare the crap out of the people behind you.
Takes practice to avoid broken ribs!

Hands in the air on all coasters, and the more thrilling flat rides. The less thrilling rides, in my lap.

Original article was ripped apart many years ago, little evidence actually offered, no true research study, just a few anecdotal reports.
If that many people go on a ride, many riders will have kidney stones, a certain number will clear their kidneys of stones around the time that they go on the ride,
That does not mean the two events are linked in any way.
Ripley's is fun, but not the best place for real facts.

When you think about it.....what does holding on even achieve? You're still going along for the ride and still go the same speed. It doesn't make you any safer either really does it? It's definitely in your head though that holding on is important, especially on scary looking rides.

I remember my first time on TTD on my only ever CP trip and yeah I held on for sure on my first go. Definitely a bit nervy in the queue for that one. Hahahaha.

Just as a quip, I saw this buff / body builder dude on WM [ second half of Apr 21 ] when I was in the queue and he had his arms and hands up for the entirety of the ride. He didn't even put his arms down for a second.

I found it hilarious at the time -- sort of like a Monty Python Sketch where a bank robber would say "stick 'em up".

I'm easily amused!

Just as a quip, I saw this buff / body builder dude on WM [ second half of Apr 21 ] when I was in the queue and he had his arms and hands up for the entirety of the ride. He didn't even put his arms down for a second.
Funnily enough, I actually saw Shawn Sanbrooke on WM in June 2021 doing a similar thing; I don’t think he put his hands down once, and he was whooping and cheering his way round every corner in row 12!

I wasn’t initially sure if it was him, but when he got closer to our part of the queue and I heard him cheer, I knew that was Shawn!

I always attempt a hands in the air but a lot of the time get spooked as the ride kicks in and hold on! Happens almost every time on Nemesis after it leaves the lift hill

When you think about it.....what does holding on even achieve? You're still going along for the ride and still go the same speed. It doesn't make you any safer either really does it? It's definitely in your head though that holding on is important, especially on scary looking rides.

Depends slightly how tight the restraint is. Some restraints can be tightly locked in some areas and loose in others and holding on and bracing helps stop you moving around in the restraint.