• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Autism the thread

Additionally, I've taken quite a few of the online autism self-diagnosis tests, and all of the results have pointed to being at least somewhat autistic. I don't feel the need to get officially diagnosed as I'm aware of how long the waiting lists are and even if I got an official diagnosis, it'd be more of an "oh ok, that explains a lot, cheers bye" rather than needing it for help. Someone who suffers far more than I would need that official diagnosis more!
I'm not diagnosed autistic but I'm sure something isn't 100% neurotypical about me, just my reactions to stimuli are....off in way. I just accept I'm wired differently and move on I suppose. A name to it makes no odds.
I can definitely understand not wanting to get diagnosed and not finding it overly helpful as an adult.

If I hadn’t been diagnosed at age 2, I’d probably be the same. Being diagnosed young helped me enormously in early years settings and throughout school, and it did even prove helpful to a fair degree going into university, but if I had gotten to adulthood without a diagnosis, I probably wouldn’t see much benefit in getting one.

I know that many people with autism are very open about it and wear it proudly as part of their identity, but being autistic is never something I’ve been overly keen to reveal openly. When I’m out in the world, I try desperately to hide it rather than reveal it. Outside of my family, very few people (who I know in real life) know that I’m autistic. At very least, I’ve told very few people outside of my family that I’m autistic; whether people have drawn their own inferences isn’t something I know of or can control.

For some reason, I do feel slightly more comfortable talking about it here. I think it’s something to do with there being so many other autistic and otherwise neurodiverse folks on here who can empathise with some of my experiences.

I can definitely understand not wanting to get diagnosed and not finding it overly helpful as an adult.

If I hadn’t been diagnosed at age 2, I’d probably be the same. Being diagnosed young helped me enormously in early years settings and throughout school, and it did even prove helpful to a fair degree going into university, but if I had gotten to adulthood without a diagnosis, I probably wouldn’t see much benefit in getting one.

I know that many people with autism are very open about it and wear it proudly as part of their identity, but being autistic is never something I’ve been overly keen to reveal openly. When I’m out in the world, I try desperately to hide it rather than reveal it. Outside of my family, very few people (who I know in real life) know that I’m autistic. At very least, I’ve told very few people outside of my family that I’m autistic; whether people have drawn their own inferences isn’t something I know of or can control.

For some reason, I do feel slightly more comfortable talking about it here. I think it’s something to do with there being so many other autistic and otherwise neurodiverse folks on here who can empathise with some of my experiences.
I’m kinda the opposite in a way, in that I’m generally pretty open about being autistic. Never usually have any issues as a result of it, and people can often be rather interested about how it affects me. I’ve always been open about it on here, as I know I won’t get judged for it. There aren’t any right or wrong answers here - I find it’s a case of working out what you feel is right for you.

Been lurking in this thread since I joined the forum and not managed to pluck up enough courage to actually write anything before now, but as others in my acquaintance have begun to share a bit more it seems like the right time to open up.

Figuring out that I was probably autistic hit me like a ton of bricks about 3 years ago when I was working to copyedit a book called The Subtle Spectrum by an autistic woman, and I suddenly realised 'Oh s**t, this is all me'. I was reasonably familiar with the 'standard' presentation most commonly seen in young males, but didn't see myself in that description - I think the fact that I'm female has meant it's been much easier to disguise autistic tendencies even from myself. As I did more research I realised that of course I hadn't been a neurotypical child - though my childhood interests of lego, Disney and Harry Potter and my ability to amuse myself and isolate myself from other children seem to have gone unnoticed by my (probably also autistic) parents who presumably just saw me as quiet, introverted and studious. Autistic women are famously good at mimicry - social integration, especially with other women, is considered of such high importance that we have to learn from a young age to copy the mannerisms and social interactions of other girls and women so as to 'pass' for normal female children, and even now I find I cope surprisingly well in a line of work where communication skills are key to success. Some days however it's all just so excruciating and I struggle to form even basic sentences, or I wear myself out after a full day of meetings only to come home and crash, unable to move or speak because it was all so damned exhausting.

I score pretty highly on the AQ-50 and RAADS-R questionnaires, however I've not sought diagnosis for an autism spectrum condition for a couple of reasons. Getting my ADHD diagnosis (in January 2022) was one of the most intrusive and stressful experiences I've had to go through, and I honestly don't think I could put myself through something similar again. I also don't really have any faith in the current diagnostic methods to be able to accurately diagnose women, especially those with combined neurodivergent profiles - as well as ADHD I most likely have a couple of SpLDs as well (I've never been able to ride a bike and couldn't swim until 2015, and I'm so hopeless with numbers it actually feels like I've got an actual wooden block in my brain preventing me from grasping the most basic mathematical concepts). I also don't really feel I need some stranger who's probably neurotypical and has known me for a matter of hours telling me something I've spent years figuring out for myself.

I will say that having the ADHD diagnosis has been helpful for getting reasonable adjustments at work, like only having to go into the office 2 days a week and not having to hot-desk, though it's difficult to gauge whether those adjustments benefit my ADHD or autistic self more - I find it nigh-on impossible to differentiate the two sometimes. I'm also very sensitive to extremes of temperature, light and noise, which is informally referred to as Sensory Processing Disorder, but so far I've not figured out whether this is an ADHD thing, an autism thing or just a general neurodiversity thing. I'm also as likely to be understimulated as overstimulated, meaning I seek out extreme sensory experiences such as metal gigs, firework displays, riding rollercoasters(?). Personally I think the differentiation of one's neurotype into separately defined 'conditions' is probably a mistake, based on outdated observations by neurotypical psychologists, given how many of us have a mixed profile of N% autism, N% ADHD, N% dyspraxia/other SpLD etc.

Pretty happy with where I am right now - I did spend a couple of years hyperfocusing and obsessing about my brain and trying to understand how it all works, but honestly it was all a bit draining, and I think I'm a bit happier now accepting what I know about myself and making sure I'm living and enjoying my life in a way that's true to my neurodivergent self - whatever that actually is.