• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Backwards B&M?

Re: Backwards B&M?

"Place your head back against the head rest and brace at all times" general roller coaster riding advice that covers pretty much everything? Except something travelling backwards that isn't designed to.

When you're fighting against forces that don't allow you to do either of those things, riders are bound to become disoriented, sick and possibly hurt. Fail!

Don't even get me started on the argument about 'bracing against forces'...!!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

So I'm the only one who is excited about the idea?

They're Six Flags, one of the word's biggest theme park companies, not some redneck park in the middle of Texas. They'll have done hundreds of tests to make sure this is absolutely 100% safe, and comfortable. Otherwise they wouldn't open it to the public.

And if when they tested it, they found it to be a horrible ride experience, they won't open it to the public. I'm sure if it does open, it'll be an interesting experience, and could possibly be absolutely amazing.

Even with the best of intentions, things sometimes don't work out.

Disney will have thought Indiana would have been a hit when they ran it backwards, but it simply didn't prove its worth.

I shall keep an on it with keen interest, I just hope it doesn't become a regular occurrence!

As I said above I'm sure it'll function just fine. In Engineering terms you shouldn't be any less safe going backwards as opposed to forwards unless you're on something like Kingda Ka which without the head rest would probably give you whiplash. B&M Inverters are forceful but normaly towords or away from the track, not in the direction of travel.

I just don't see the fascination with turning rides backwards. Neither do I understand why backwards POV's are currently the "in" thing to record of new rides. If a ride was designed to go forwards then that is how it should be.

Backwards B&M?

This just appears to be stupidity. Why would you want to go on a ride, backwards? I like to see what's coming, ahead of me.

The thought just makes me feel ill.

Sent from my New iPad using Tapatalk HD

Having said what I just have though, I have just thought that quite a few people I've been on coasters with actually close their eyes for the whole ride - so it can't be that bad if you don't anticipate elements. I don't know why you'd close your eyes, if you're going to ride then you may as well get the full experience :)

Well backwards POVs do have a use... A few years ago, I was working on TMi, and they wanted to do a gag with the presenters green screened on to a roller coaster. Their initial plan was to get a forwards POV and play it backwards, and knowing that I was a geek, they asked me if I could help. Thanks to a shout out on the forum, I was able to get them a reverse POV (via Fury) to use.

But other than that, I can't think of a use for them.

T said:
This just appears to be stupidity. Why would you want to go on a ride, backwards? I like to see what's coming, ahead of me.

Riding backwards can be fun. I think a lot of people in this country base their backwards ride experiences on X:/NWO

Th13teen would be vastly less interesting without its backwards section. It's arguably the best bit of the ride. Revolution at PBB is another great UK ride that benefits hugely from its backwards section.

Even though B&M hasn't designed their Batman clones to run backwards, I doubt the trains will fall to pieces and totally annihilate everything in their path. :p

I still think Oblivion should be turned around, always a fan of this idea and the name change - Oblivious (TM by myself lol)

Spike said:
I still think Oblivion should be turned around, always a fan of this idea and the name change - Oblivious (TM by myself lol)

That is brilliant! ;)

It would be interesting to see if there designs are actually ok to be put into practice

What would be the point in turning Oblivion backwards though? It's a pointless idea because it would ruin the main feature and purpose of the ride; the drop! :p

BigAl said:
What would be the point in turning Oblivion backwards though? It's a pointless idea because it would ruin the main feature and purpose of the ride; the drop! :p

The whole ride wouldn't be backwards, just maybe a shuttle or two. The sensation of literally being on your back in freefall would be something that beyond 4D coasters would be unmatched anywhere else.

But that would still be pointless. Going backwards might be fun, but I doubt the experience would come close to Oblivion facing forwards.

You wouldn't get the contrast between the calm of facing the sky as you go up the lift and past the Towers, just the view of the station and then part of the Tower on the way to the holding brake. You wouldn't see spectators or the rest of X-Sector and the drop peaking ever closer until you're dangling over it, just more views of the sky.

Don't look down is a tag line for a reason. If you're backwards, that won't be an option. I hope all of Oblivion stays facing forwards until the day it's closed.

Ridiculous idea. It'll spend the whole time closed for cleaning.

Batman is one of the world's great coaster layouts. Why change perfection?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Oblivion backwards is an interesting idea because it goes against the body's natural instincts. The inner ear is designed to send warnings to your brain when you start tipping backwards because it's normally a sign of danger. It gives you that shock feeling that you get when you are leaning on a chair and it suddenly tips back. Just watch the part in Inception when they're explaining how "the kick" works and you'll get the idea.

However I do agree with BigAl that it shouldn't happen because the actual thrill of Oblivion is not the ride itself but the build up. Oblivion is more than just a roller coaster; it's an exercise of anxiety. The whole experience builds up to that moment when you're staring into Oblivion and the carts are about to drop. Take that away by making you stare at the sky instead and Oblivion would just turn into any other roller coaster.

I personally think it would be amazing backwards, like if the back car of each shuttle were turned around. That feeling of dropping while seeing the top of the drop getting further and further away would be awesome!