• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Best FAMILY Rollercoaster at Alton Towers

Best FAMILY Rollercoaster at Alton Towers

• Air

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Sonic Spinball

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • TH13TEEN

Votes: 21 32.3%
  • Runaway Mine Train

Votes: 28 43.1%

• Total voters
Runaway Mine Train, without a shadow of doubt. It's a brilliant ride which has by far the widest appeal of any ride at Alton, if not the UK. It doesn't have to be tall, or steep. It's just a pleasant ride which is able to please guests on all levels. The number of people I know who will agree that it's one of the most fun coasters at the park is unbelievable (Note, most fun. Not best)! It has an appeal no other attraction has managed to replicate :D

As Wardley said, it's a "pink knuckle ride". Children go on it and get a real thrill, and a feeling that they've done something amazing. But at the same time parents go with them and have an equally fun and thrilling ride. Perfect for everyone!

Th13teen is a good example of family thrill. It's just dressed up wrong. The sister theme and appearance of the ride mean it has all the makings of a full on thrill ride. The fact you can't see much of the track or what goes on within the crypt just adds to this. With RMT people take a glance at it and think "Oh, that looks nice and tame". But Th13teen you look at it and think "That thing is really dark and intimidating". That puts off most families I'd say. But the actual coaster itself is a good example of family thrill if you ask me. It's just sold and portrayed in the wrong light.

Spinball seems to be the other way around though! To look at the theme of it you'd be forgiven for thinking it's a nice family ride aimed at the younger guests. But taking a look at the ride itself proves that wrong. It can actually be a very thrilling coaster when it wants to give the right ride with enough spin. The unpredictability and slightly misleading nature of the attraction means it is viewed in two minds by guests I'd say.

As for Air, no matter which way you look at it it's a thrill ride in my opinion. Just because it doesn't go really fast, or have loads of inversions does not make it a family coaster. If anything, I think a lot of people would say it's one of the parks more intimidating attractions next to Oblivion, for the prone position, if nothing else. It is a thrill ride, but not in the sense that the other rides at the park are. While most attractions use speed, height, or inversions to scare people Air uses the design of the crafts and the riding position to achieve the same effect. People see the riders dangling on their front held in by a rubber vest and instantly think "I'm not doing that!".

The mine train! It's fun for everyone, from age 5/6 to 90! Air is really for older kids, as are the other 1.4m rides.
However being 10 and my first visit being able to ride everything, air appealed to me the most- it had a relaxing theme, and looked less scary than other rides.

It seems that the RMT has a bit of a runaway lead in this topic. ;)

#pun

Out of the rides on the list i chose air, however I don't class it as a family ride (same goes for th13teen because of the marketing), so the winner is clearly RMT.

Would've said air but even though I know what the first comment means, I still can't say i would put air in that category. As an 11 year old myself, I think most 11 year olds want to go on the mahoosive rides and i had to big myself up hugely to go on air. So for that reason RMT for life.