• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Best FAMILY Rollercoaster at Alton Towers

Best FAMILY Rollercoaster at Alton Towers

• Air

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Sonic Spinball

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • TH13TEEN

Votes: 21 32.3%
  • Runaway Mine Train

Votes: 28 43.1%

• Total voters

Scott.Smith

TS Member
Before people start being picky i want to mention that the members of the Family are all above 11 years of age meaning they want to try out bigger rides and that's why Air and TH13TEEN are there.

Justify your answer aswell please ::)

I chose TH13TEEN because it isn't to thrilling but provides a experience that the whole family will enjoy and is unique to this country which is becoming very difficult for modern day coasters

RMT, its theme is much more family friendly than Thirteen's. I know from experience that many families especially with younger children are put off Thirteen because of the menacing theme, even though the coaster itself isn't at all bad.

I voted Th13teen as every time I go on, I come off with a smile. And so do many other people. To me thats what a family ride is all about.

Sonic Spinball and Runaway Mine Train are also really good family rides. Because they are both rides that I come off with a smile and I see whole families coming of while smiles.

On the other hand Air is a thrill ride (no matter how tame).

It depends on what you're judging them on. My favourite out of those 4 rides is Spinball as I find it by far the most exciting. I wouldn't go so far as to say it was the best though, as clearly there's a lot wrong with it (build quality and throughput in particular).

RMT is the most accessible of the bunch as it's tame enough for younger riders to enjoy whilst still offering thrills thanks to the helix into the tunnel. Thirteen is a great "step up" ride, as it looks quite intimidating due to the theme but is actually great fun and not likely to put anyone off going on bigger rides when they reach 1.4m.

I wouldn't call Air a family ride purely due to the height restriction, just because your family are all able to ride doesn't make it generally true. To use examples from other parks, X:\NWO and Rattlesnake are not true family rides as they exclude a proportion of their target from riding by having overly strict height restrictions, though they are both family coasters by design

When the majority of children reach 1.4m their first thrilling rollercoaster at the park is not Rita, definitly not Oblivion, not Nemesis but always seems to be air this suggests that maybe when they do reach the 1.4m limit it is their most enjoyable FAMILY ride their as their parents are likely to go on it even if thy are not ride fan's, however i still choose TH13TEEN as it covers much more of a audiance and also allows the young ones to have their first major adrenaline rush 8)

For me these rides are all great there not to intense but still fun

Sonic, as it's my favourite of those four coasters, plus it's the only one I find thrilling. :)

Although Air is tame, I wouldn't class it a family ride due to its 1.4M height restriction. To be 1.4 you need to be over 12 really, unless your a tall 10/11 year old.

After thinking I think RMT simply due to its guest interaction and the fact that it never tried to be anything it wasn't suppose to be, unlike Th13teens marketing.

Scott.Smith said:
When the majority of children reach 1.4m their first thrilling rollercoaster at the park is not Rita, definitly not Oblivion, not Nemesis but always seems to be air

That's not exactly true, having worked on Air I have seen the vast amount of families with children who have just been on Nemesis for the first time and loved it, yet they refuse point blank to go on Air, simply because of the way you're held in. You would not believe the amount of kids who break down in fits of tears because they don't want to go on, yet they've been on every other ride in the park. Just because its not as forceful as the other rides in the park, don't assume that all kids will want to go on it as soon as they're 1.4 :p

But anyway, I voted RMT as it has a family friendly theme and it is the most accessible for everyone of all the coasters due to its low height restriction :)

Completely agree. Yeah Air is smooth, but you get grown adults refusing to go on simply because the ride looks scary as you are held below the track with (according to the guests) nothing holding you in!

Runaway Mine Train.

A family friendly coaster enjoyed by all ages, so I would class it more family then Air (1.4M and the riding position make it lose out) and TH13TEEN (scary atmosphere and the first drop size) and Sonic (height of the ride)

There really is that many mistakes in my posts?! Damn this Tapatalk milarky :)

I would have to say its the minetrain! Little children love it, adults love it and even old people love it. Its a well rounded coaster for everyone.

I have seen no end of times on Sonic when the kids have loved it but the parents have hated it, or vice versa on TH13TEEN, but I have never seen someone who doesnt like the mine train!

Gone for RMT, purely because everybody ride's it. During the summer, you'll see groups of 15 or 20 Uni students all coming on together. If a coaster built for kids can entertain students just as much, then it's a perfect coaster!

RMT without a doubt, it's the one coaster in the park that you could probably fit an entire family onto!

Mine Train wins by a mile in my books.

I just wish it ran like it used to before the accident! Still, even now I find it the most enjoyable family roller coaster on park.