• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Big Dipper's birthday bash - Blackpool trip report

stretchy

TS Member
The following is the post I put over on Towers Nerd, but thought I would post here too. My take on the evening. WARNING: picture heavy post and sorry some of them are a bit blurred. They gave us free alcohol.

View from our hotel. Yup we were that close to The Big One
IMG_2753.JPM

Where first? Well we did the dungeons first but your not aloud to take piccies in there. so onto the Towers I think. Visibility was quite poor from the tower. Look at the sea. Yes its that white area beneath the white area that is the sky.
P1070910.JPM

Look you can only just see the beach below.
P1070912.JPM

And this is where we are heading next, Visibility was really poor, I had to Photoshop that so you could see anything in it.
P1070921.JPM

Look down. Its like we are standing on a really scratched nothing.
P1070925.JPM

So we left the tower due to the fogginess and headed down the promenade where we met this rather tranie looking version of David Tennant.
P1070930.JPM

and suddenly the mist seemingly magically lifted and the sun burst through to reveal this:
P1070932.JPM

So we grabbed a pint at Joss's pub and then ventured onto the Pleasure Beach, was where it always was. We went in and queued for tickets in the usual ticket area, when we got to front we were told that we needed to queue somewhere else. So we went and queued somewhere else. This is where I got rather annoyed. We had paid £18 for our tickets, yet they were selling them, on the day, for £6. I did confront the guy who was giving us our tickets but he had a 'i don't give a ****' kind of attitude and as we left the ticket area I was fuming, ready for an argument with the first member of management that I found.
IMG_2693.JPM

It turned out that we didn't see a member of management, instead we were greeted with Champagne.
P1070934.JPM

Joss became rather blurred by the prospect of free champers
P1070937.JPM

There was a cake too.
P1070941.JPM

And even little cakes
P1080149.JPM

A reasonable crowd of slightly blurred people were now arriving.
P1070948.JPM

This is proof that people actually go blurred after beer, its not just your perception of them
P1070949.JPM

See Rollercoasters aren't blurred, just people.
P1070950.JPM

Oh and posters are blurred. This one was smashed through by the first train as the cake was cut.
And who would cut that cake? I hear you ask. Why its Amanda Thompson, who is some how, thought that it was winter and came out wearing about 14 layers including this rather fetching Body Warmer. Just as an aside, you can see who here has had Champagne and who hasn't. One person has had way too much Champers
P1070984.JPM

The first train was loaded with people, some of whom had partaken in a drop of Champers
P1080053.JPM

Unfortunately I could take photos of either the car tearing through the poster in a hyper dramatic way, or Amanda plunging her knife into the cake. I chose the cake.
P1080001.JPM

The crowd all counted down 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 and the knife is plunged through the cake with all the brutality of a mass murderer.
P1080077.JPM

And the Big Dippers car disappears through the ear of the white haired chappy in front of us with jets of smoke and hoorays from the crowd.
P1080094.JPM

I was suddenly distracted by how beautiful coaster track is against a dimming evening sky.
P1080101.JPM

Joss clipped me around the ear and we went down the steps where a mermaid lounged
P1080111.JPM

and disco lights danced
P1080113.JPM

And a DJ talked up the crowd
P1080114.JPM

Suddenly the mermaid recognised me and chirped up.
P1080118.JPM

I honestly don't know why, as we didn't bother to rescue her from her fountain imprisonment, instead we went and rode the Big Dipper
IMG_2712.JPM

And here is our train, sporting a lovely pair of head lamps.
IMG_2713.JPM

We did the usual cheer as we left the station, deafening the DJ and headed up the lift hill. As we did we got the whole train singing Happy Birthday to the coaster. This was one of the cool things about the evening. Everyone was in a party mood (most slightly blurry from the champagne and free beer. As we got off the ride we bumped into Lee, who was the only other coaster fan we recognised there. (poor show chaps)
P1080121.JPM

Joss wouldn't let me steal this cool little model.
P1080122.JPM

A picture of the birthday girl looking fetching against a tumultuous sky.
P1080160.JPM

and why oh why oh why isn't the park open more in the evenings. It is beautiful.
P1080157.JPM

So since I had never ridden Walace and Gromit, we decided to head that way. They saw Joss and myself and started dancing with joy
P1080164.JPM

I think they had been on the Champagne because we we neared we realised they were also getting blurred.
P1080165.JPM

So what did I think of the ride. It was OK. I agree with most of the criticism on it. It is a shame it wasn't an original story, instead it is a collection of disjointed scenes.
P1080168.JPM

It was food time next. The offerings consisted of a choice of Fish and Chips, or Hotdog and Chips. Served with a free pint of beer and doughnuts for desert. The chips came in their own bucket. Here you can see Joss attempting to eat them with the supplied shovel.
P1080175.JPM

What next? well the Grand Prix was also open so we did that. This ride is really not designed for large people. Note how Joss is sitting in the Passenger seat and driving. I was the same and it was the only way to fit in.
IMG_2748.JPM

So Joss went off then to ride Infusion. I had previously ridden it and didn't want my back torn to pieces by it. As you see, he had been hitting the alcohol heavily.
P1080181.JPM

So much so that his blurr field extended back to the whole train.
P1080187.JPM

It was at this point that we made one hell of a mistake. Lets go back and ride the Big Dipper, Joss said. Sure I said.
The DJ had scarpered. I think he knew what was coming.
P1080201.JPM

And what, I hear you ask, was coming? This was:
P1080214.JPM

It was the wettest I have ever been on a coaster. The rain was torrential. No I really mean torrential. It was so heavy that in the 30 seconds or so that the ride took we went from being dry to Valhalla wet.
We sprinted from the ride to the bar, the above photo was taken as the rain started to ease.
You cant really see how wet Joss is
P1080215.JPM

But the my Smiler T shirt shows full extent of wetness (and the need for a diet)
P1080216.JPM

We did a few more rides, our last one being 2 consecutive blasts on the birthday girl her self bringing us up to the 11 pm end of the night.
As we ambled back to the hotel you realise how pretty The Big One looks in the night and also realise that maybe its been on the beer too.
P1080235.JPM

All in all it was an excellent evening, even though I still feel a bit ripped off that other guests got in for £6 yet the actual fans had to pay 18 but Blackpool should be proud of the evening. It was extremely well put together and total fun and everyone there was having a fun time (even the staff who mostly had huge grins on their faces). I will definitely come back for the next party, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Thank-you Blackpool.

I will leave you with what the park looked like next day.
IMG_2759.JPM

and a link to my full album of pics
https://plus.google.com/photos/106418309379254557984/albums/5915744053663288737/5915746581773145858?pid=5915746581773145858&oid=106418309379254557984&authkey=CKfNyuu4o6GUdw

Post split and moved from the main Blackpool thread - don't want it getting lost :)!!

It was a very fun night!
Was a very good event that BPB put on and the atmosphere was very chilled and pleasant.

It was also very good that there was a decent amount of people at the event but not enough to make rides busy, in fact all the rides running (Big Dipper, W&G, Grand Prix, Infusion) was pretty much walk on for most of the event.

A very big congratulations to everyone involved in organising the event.

(In case your wondering I am the guy in the photos eating chips and cruising in my pimp mobile :D)