• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Biggest Cities without a major park?

I’m not saying it’s a desert island for theme parks, but the shift in Manchester over 20 years has been notable. Whilst Blackpool and Towers are about an hour away, there have been some significant losses in the last couple of decades (as with other parts of the UK), including Granada Studios, Camelot, Frontierland and the significant downsizing of Pleasureland. That’s a lot of theme parks to lose over 20 years, all also within about an hour of the city. It’s perhaps symptomatic of the wider industry’s issues over that time.

I’m not saying it’s a desert island for theme parks, but the shift in Manchester over 20 years has been notable. Whilst Blackpool and Towers are about an hour away, there have been some significant losses in the last couple of decades (as with other parts of the UK), including Granada Studios, Camelot, Frontierland and the significant downsizing of Pleasureland. That’s a lot of theme parks to lose over 20 years, all also within about an hour of the city. It’s perhaps symptomatic of the wider industry’s issues over that time.

Damn I knew about those park loses but I didn't realise how much it impacted the Mancunians! Granted yeah they have Towers and Blackpool within decent range, but they clearly had as good quality closer to home. Shame really.

Showing your age Venny...
What about White City and Belle Vue in Manchester?
I'm a bit young for White City Gardens, but I rode the Scenic at Belle Vue.
Missed the Bobs by a year sadly.
I also missed Skytrack at Granada Studios, despite repeated efforts, phone calls and breakdowns while queueing.
Must have had a throughput of 20 punters an hour.

I'm in Liverpool and it's the same as Manchester with regards to how a number of local parks have gone.

There's a Gullivers in Warrington but that's only for families.

What were the scouse parks John?
I know of New Brighton, was a poor shadow of its former self by the time I got there, but I didn't know there were any more.
Just finished reading about the overhead railway...Dockers brolly.
Amazing stuff.

Tis a shame that Metroland in Gateshead closed down. The UK could really do with a new fully indoor, year-round theme park. :(

What were the scouse parks John?
I know of New Brighton, was a poor shadow of its former self by the time I got there, but I didn't know there were any more.
Just finished reading about the overhead railway...Dockers brolly.
Amazing stuff.

Nothing in Liverpool really unless you count the Pleasure Island which was located on the old International Garden Festival site. Which contained bowling, quasar, a massive fun/play house, roller skating, plus go karts and crazy golf outside. Yeah New Brighton and of course Southport Pleasure Land. Plus Rhyl and Camelot in close proximity.

Yeah the dockers umbrella was a fantastic thing. Just imagine the tourist benefits it would have today.

The only remaining carriage is on display in the Museum of Liverpool, cleverly it's on the 1st floor so at the same height it was when it ran.

A few years ago I was lucky enough to get to walk down the tunnel that went from Dingle Station up to where it came out onto the waterfront (it's bricked up sadly). Worryingly about 2 months after that the tunnel collapsed at the mouth of the station so sadly it's been closed ever since. It was being used as a garage.

Showing your age Venny...
What about White City and Belle Vue in Manchester?
I'm a bit young for White City Gardens, but I rode the Scenic at Belle Vue.
Missed the Bobs by a year sadly.
I also missed Skytrack at Granada Studios, despite repeated efforts, phone calls and breakdowns while queueing.
Must have had a throughput of 20 punters an hour.

As a Manc in my 30's I did skytrack and trust me you didn't miss anything.