• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Central Redevelopment

I really do think they’ve missed a trick here with this one, if it happens.

Surely it would’ve made more sense to take this project right onto the promenade, demolishing the existing buildings for Sealife and Madame Tussaud’s (which are both rented council buildings) and given them a position in this new development, and likewise for Funland and the Star Trek thing if need be.

And some franchised restaurants such as Planet Hollywood, Hard Rock Cafe etc might have been a nice addition. Surely Merlin taking one of those buildings and using it as a Legoland Discovery Centre would’ve been beneficial to some of those ‘attractions’

Apparently there are coasters within this development, as a video online apparently shows a Vekoma Junior Coaster and a Mack Suspended Powered Coaster!

I can't believe the only bit of the promenade they're dealing with is a shabby but popular arcade... which they replace with a hotel! Missed opportunity.

This is touting for development funding.
There is no big pot of money in Blackpool council for this...they are skint...hence no sea front improvements...all the buildings on the seafront bar one arcade are staying.
Thirty months before starting construction, planned over four stages of development.
The only mention of any coaster is two fleeting shots of what would probably be a simulator screen in a promo that contains shots of other bits of other parks.
No new real adult...even family...coaster, ever on the site.
If it isn't still a car park in ten years, I will send Ash down Bond St naked.

I really do think they’ve missed a trick here with this one, if it happens.

Surely it would’ve made more sense to take this project right onto the promenade, demolishing the existing buildings for Sealife and Madame Tussaud’s (which are both rented council buildings) and given them a position in this new development, and likewise for Funland and the Star Trek thing if need be.

And some franchised restaurants such as Planet Hollywood, Hard Rock Cafe etc might have been a nice addition. Surely Merlin taking one of those buildings and using it as a Legoland Discovery Centre would’ve been beneficial to some of those ‘attractions’

The trouble is, Merlin and the Council would be under some sort of tenancy contract for Merlin's use of those buildings, with the contract lasting over a fixed period covering the tenancy. The council would more than likely have to pay compensation to Merlin for exiting out of the tenancy early. Even though they would only be transferring the tenancy to another building, it would still be a new contract as that one would probably be tied to that building. There is also more than likely some clause in the contact from Merlins part, prohibiting this in any way. As it protects their relatively expensive investment in the area, for the length of the contract period, through thick and thin. Preventing them from being kicked out of a building early, thus throwing their money and investments away without any financial compensation. We all know too well how Merlin like to protect their profits and minimise their spending........

Talking of minimising spending, you have the other issue of who is going to pay for this? The current buildings serve the purpose for Merlin. They make money for them. I could not see them agreeing to move unless the council were willing to foot the cost for the new buildings (which will never happen, most councils cant even afford to empty bins these days!) There is no way they would foot the bill themselves. 100 miles down the road in the heart of Merrie England, at Alton, they struggle to justify the cost for new tins of paint. So a total new set of buildings when the current ones serve their purpose for Merlin, would be absolutely out of the question.

Residential Apartments opposite the Nightclub / Music Venue? :confused:
I expect they'll take a leaf out of Liverpool's book and try to quietly revise the plans to not include the nightclub which they probably have no real intention of building in the first place.

I'm not convinced all this will go ahead, like everyone else, I wouldn't be surprised if this is still car park in ten years. Even if it does get built, and the way it's being touted here, I'm not sure how successful it will be. I hope it does well though don't get me wrong.

Its a shame they could not replace the whole frontage; but that would need Merlin to buy into the scheme. Merlins buildings are some of the ugliest on the whole shoreline (although Merlin have disguised that quite well with the huge hoardings); but the attractions are both well designed to make the best of the current structures. Its hard to imagine a new building improving their attendence significantly to recoup the relocation costs.

The best we can hope is that the frontages might get some investment, and their entrances are well integrated to appear to be part of the new complex. That would be a win win for both Merlin and the new complex, as it can all be advertised as a single destination.

Is it just me, or does Chariot of the Gods feel very much like a holding theme, perhaps until they lock down an IP??

The guy behind chariot of the gods, and the whole project, has an amusing background history, and a bit of a record for fraud, and profiting from dodgy developments, which fold in the end.
Allegedly.
How very Blackpool.

Update; this has begun to hit the news again: https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/best-in-leeds/exciting-plans-300m-mystery-theme-19687051

Due to open in 2023, it looks to be more of an overall activity complex than an out-and-out theme park to begin with, but I think the flying theatre certainly shows intentions of possible theme park attractions in the future!

I’ve always thought that a major indoor theme park would be brilliant in the UK, so I really hope this development gains some steam in the months and years ahead!

There's part of me that thinks this sounds incredibly unlikely. There's another part of me that thinks that this is just the kind of project that would get a large grant from the regional development fund, the coastal communities fund for deprived seaside towns, and a wad of cash from the National Lottery. I can just imagine Boris Johnson standing in Blackpool with a shovel and making some kind of speech about levelling up and a world class something or other.

I do love how they talk about the UK's first flying theatre... they're probably gonna want it open and running in the next month or so if they want to keep that title...

A bit more info here - https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/new...ashire-leisure-destination-moves-step-forward

I didn't realise it would come all the way out to the prom. That's a pretty grim stretch though, arguably the Merlin buildings are the least offensive.
I find it intriguing, and exciting, that they are classing it as an “indoor theme park”! I’ve always looked at places like the Nickelodeon Universe parks over in the USA, and thought that this country could really use something similar, and I think a Nickelodeon Universe-style park would work really well over here, what with our somewhat inconsistent climate, so if the indoor theme park is substantial in size, as the press release makes it sound, then I think this should be a great thing for the UK industry, and offer something really quite different to any other British theme park!

Out of interest, is it known when this is due to open?
EDIT: Scratch that, just saw that it says 2023 in one of the above posts!