• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: 2023 Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I very much doubt they can afford a new coaster, they've spent a fortune on Valhalla that still isn't open and they keep throwing money into a black hole with hot ice. I wouldn't be surprised if they are still paying off Icon as that was so much of a flop. Removing grand national is pointless for them, it's a classic and should be preserved.

But I wonder though, have they actually spent a fortune on Valhalla? I don’t think anybody knows the details of exactly what work has taken place on the ride so far, what is to follow, and what the end result will be, nor how much the total cost of it will be.

I’ve got a concern that we might end up with a bit of a nasty shock when the ride finally opens and we find out that it’s “re-imagining” may have been more of a cost-cutting stripping back than an improved enhancement.

Last edited:
But I wonder though, have they actually spent a fortune on Valhalla? I don’t think anybody knows the details of exactly what work has taken place on the ride so far, what is to follow, and what the end result will be, not how much the total cost of it will be.

I’ve got a concern that we might end up with a bit of a nasty shock when the ride finally opens and we find out that it’s “re-imagining” may have been more of a cost-cutting stripping back than an improved enhancement.
I keep thinking this. Literally all I can picture is it (possibly) reopening with all of the good stuff removed… maybe some cheap screens or something put in place of decent effects

I wouldn’t worry about Valhalla. Trax from CoasterForce managed to speak to some of the people in charge of the project and was told some stuff that will hopefully make you guys a little more optimistic. They said the following:
Trax from CoasterForce said:
When I visited earlier this year, I had the chance to talk to a couple of the people involved. I got told that they were hoping for a (late) summer opening, so August/September, and also blamed Brexit and Covid.
It’s a shame that they are still unable to get around those issues, but it’s hard to blame them. The project is (obviously) more ambitious than everyone thought it would be. And with the amount of money sunk into it, they have every interest to open it as soon as they can, to start to recoup the investment.
A good news at the end:
From what I was told, not only every single effect will be updated/renewed, but they would also add additional effects as well.
Exciting stuff, no? Valhalla should hopefully be as good as it ever was when it reopens based on what Trax was told!

If you want to read Trax’s full post, here’s the link: https://coasterforce.com/forums/thr...efurbished-for-2022.43997/page-5#post-1139734

I wouldn’t worry about Valhalla. Trax from CoasterForce managed to speak to some of the people in charge of the project and was told some stuff that will hopefully make you guys a little more optimistic. They said the following:

Exciting stuff, no? Valhalla should hopefully be as good as it ever was when it reopens based on what Trax was told!

If you want to read Trax’s full post, here’s the link: https://coasterforce.com/forums/thr...efurbished-for-2022.43997/page-5#post-1139734
Enthusiast reports thing they were told by anonymous but definitely reliable source and it's good news. Phew!

Enthusiast reports thing they were told by anonymous but definitely reliable source and it's good news. Phew!
If it’s people in charge of the project then it’ll be true haha. Not everything someone says is unreliable just because the exact source is not disclosed. 90% of the time it is, but that’s not always the case.

Now I have been repeatedly told that all staff in the know have signed non disclosure agreements, and risk the sack if identified as the source of leaks.
So the anonymous source is risking their job, allegedly.
August/September???
No.
Covid and Brexit?
Other large scale jobs have managed to get past the issues...they have had three years now.
Not opening until next spring at the earliest, probably next summer.
If the park hasn't gone bust by then.

I do fear that BPB may not be able to get through the current and future economic struggles, something I've been banging on about elsewhere since the beginning of the year. I'm no expert in park management but I would think a lot of people want to go to Blackpool and not spend all day in BPB, they want to walk the piers, go to the beach or go to the Tower etc. But the current price model for BPB means that people just don't want to pay that amount due to how high it is and the fact they'll be spending all their day "at the seaside" in BPB. In my opinion if the old model will no longer work then I think the current Great Yarmouth method will work wonders but instead of 3 sessions a day have 2, due to more rides available. That way day trippers have a lower price point which makes going to BPB more attractive, along with then having half of the day available to do the usual Blackpool touristy things. You'll then also arguably get more unique people in the park which should increase merchandise sales along with ticket sales.

In my opinion if the old model will no longer work then I think the current Great Yarmouth method will work wonders but instead of 3 sessions a day have 2, due to more rides available. That way day trippers have a lower price point which makes going to BPB more attractive, along with then having half of the day available to do the usual Blackpool touristy things. You'll then also arguably get more unique people in the park which should increase merchandise sales along with ticket sales.

They really could do with changing things for next season, whatever that may be. Personally I would like them to open the park at 12pm instead of 10am - So a 12pm to 9pm peak time day with 12pm to 10pm if it is busy. Evening riding from a certain time at a discount on the gate. Get the walk up trade back in the park.

Even if they leave it as a 10am opening they could have reduced gate prices after a certain time during the day to encourage walk up trade. The park always gets emptier towards the end of the day (whatever time they close), so why not offer a good price on the gate for the last few hours?

Having 2 sessions (as suggested above) is another option, as is a hybrid of POP and PPR.

But we all know that PB is extremely unlikely to change things from their current model. Because Amanda knows best, even if the park are clearly losing money every year.

I think the only thing that may happen is we may see the walk round pass re-introduced . Not saying its likely to happen but I do think there is an outside chance the park could bring it back.

I don’t think there’s a correct answer to that. It depends whether you’re valuing it as a going concern, as development land or some combination. Essentially it’s whatever someone wants to pay.

All that said, since the Council have a charge over the property, I very much doubt they would allow the park to close - it brings too many people into Blackpool.

The maintenance page on the pleasure beach website no longer says Valhalla is opening summer 2022.

It now just says "Valhalla is currently closed for re-imagining."

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

So my first trip to pleasure beach in a number of years, this will be from a different perspective as we had 2/3yr old in tow, but wow those rose tinted glasses are deffo out in force among the pleasure beach’s staff.

1st we have push trikes for both children, they can only be moved/ steered by the adult… trikes are banned on park as they have peddles, they are not actual propelling peddles like a bike.

These are banned on park apparently but are actually no different to a buggy, other than size, this left us with no buggy (as it was at home in London) really useful with a 2yr old.

You have to pay for a 2yr old like nearly £40 yikes, I've yet to come across a park where a small child has to pay nearly the same as an adult. ??

Loads of rides that are suitable for her either completely closed or on stupidly reduced capacity. We spent the 1st half of the day negotiating queues, stupidly long and with my partners health, opted to spend the money for there equivalent of RAP, yes you have to pay for it if you want to ride together.

I don't know if its just me, but the pleasure beach need to get the ride cars refurbished/ back in use. So many just seemed to be on low low capacity. Grand prix spent moat of the day closed and was on 7 cars when it did open on about 100 people per hour ! The queue was most likely 1.5-2h long down the path with 50% speedy pass.

So for just the kids rides, as much as I wanted to do the big rides over £150, just seems totally unjustified.

Closed kids rides
Dora,
Crusty crab
Submarine ride
Alpine rally
Thomsons carousel
Impossible
Grand prix (most of day )

Please tell me I’m not crazy by thinking the above is abit OTT

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.