Blackpool Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Discussion in 'European Parks and Attractions' started by John, 13th Jun 2012.

1. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    How many trains did they restyle, three?

2. siralgenon

siralgenon TowersStreet Member

They'd have to shift fast to run that on 4 trains, it'd literally have to be moving constantly. It stacks on 2 these days!

DiogoJ42 and djtruefitt like this.
  3. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    I've seen people say it ran 4 trains simultaneously, but I am sure it only ran with three on the track with one in the workshop, hence the 'Total Capacity: 42' - three trains with 14 seats, fully loaded. That was pretty common until not all that long ago, but that was before restraint checks and the like.

@rob666 @Dipper_Dave @shakey ?

Dipper_Dave likes this.
  4. rob666

rob666 TowersStreet Member

Yup,
    Three trains for a while.
    Stacking shunts.
    Two trains.
    Sounds familiar.
    First new ride my wife refused to ride...accidents and no bloody rails.

Dipper_Dave likes this.
  5. John

John TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    There's an obligatory Blue Peter item covering Avalanche opening. They also ride Revolution and on the off-ride Rev footage you can clearly see an Avalanche train entering the lift with another on the helix section (not sure if the uphill or downhill). Old school EP-level throughputs, there.

DiogoJ42 likes this.
  6. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    Think you're referring to this @John

A different time, indeed. Jumping out of the Rev train when it was still moving was still a thing until 2003 or so.

DiogoJ42, Alsty and Poopoohead like this.
  7. Plastic Person

Plastic Person TowersStreet Member

Had never seen that before, really enjoyed it. Has certainly aged better as a more edifying alternative to the old Saville and the scouts on Revolution, at least.

Loved the detail of two of the four members of the British Bobsled team being named Lenny.

8. Error

Error TowersStreet Member

Dressed to impress, yeah baby.

9. Poopoohead

Poopoohead TowersStreet Member

Sure I remember the ride op kicking the the restraints switch open as he stood on the platform and the train went past?

10. John

John TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    That's the one, even better throughtput than I thought - the train must have been pretty much at the top of the lift when the next one was dispatched.

DiogoJ42 likes this.
  11. Coaster

Coaster TowersStreet Member

It's a shame to think that Avalanche is capable of running as it does in that video, yet you see it stacking on two trains with a queue back to Icon during the late night riding events.

12. rob666

rob666 TowersStreet Member

They had repeated accidents on 3...lots of shunts.
    Better safe than sorry.
    Probably.

13. John

John TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    I'd settle for running 2 trains efficiently TBH. The speedy pass arrangement in particular is a major problem.

DiogoJ42, Poopoohead and Coaster like this.
  14. ScottPBE

ScottPBE TowersStreet Member

Avalanche still has four trains, three are operational and one is usually being worked on throughout the season. Two trains is the maximum they’ll run with whilst open as you all probably know.

MattyH, DiogoJ42, Doublethink and 2 others like this.
  15. Coaster

Coaster TowersStreet Member

I'm not an expert but theoretically speaking, from my understanding all the other Mack Bobsleds run at least 3 trains and BPB have a good working relationship with Mack due to Icon, would it not be possible to get Mack in to carry out the required work for the ride to be able to run 3 trains?

Another key issue is that even on 2 trains the operations are nowhere near good enough due to Speedy Pass - the same issue as The Big One really, it's been a problem since Speedy Pass was introduced but the park haven't done anything to improve it.

Seeing Avalanche stacking when the queueline is overflowing happens all too often.

ringo likes this.
  16. ringo

ringo TowersStreet Member

Has Avalanche not improved this year since they changed it to VIP Plus only? Or does everyone now buy Plus and there makes no difference

17. djtruefitt

djtruefitt TS Site Team Team Member

The problem with speedy pass on this. Is everyone gets off the ride (gets bags, takes time) then speedy pass get on, and then the air gates open. By this point the other train is pretty much stacking.

If it’s for a constant speedy queue they would be better to just close a row off, and open the gates straight away, the same applies to big one.

18. Enter Valhalla

Enter Valhalla TowersStreet Member

Getting a second train running on Nickelodeon Streak should be more of a priority.

Dipper_Dave likes this.
  19. Dipper_Dave

Dipper_Dave TowersStreet Member

Can of worms opened !

Rick likes this.
  20. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    Random Big One-related question here; I'm aware that the first drop was reprofiled in 1997 due to the right turn apparently being too tight in the original iteration, but has the turnaround ever been reprofiled? Or has it only had track replaced?

Only asking because when I compare a POV of the Big One today to old footage (e.g. the footage shown in the construction documentary), I always think that the turnaround looks slightly smoother and more of a nicely flowing transition than it did in early POVs? Have they actually reprofiled this section during the ride's lifespan, or is it just my eyes deceiving me?