• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Hype.

TheCarousel_ValhallaHype1_1.jpg

TheCarousel_ValhallaHype1_2.jpg

@Plastic Person so much hype for that ride. That's from a 2000 marketing booklet. In the same box I found the mock newspaper they produced with all sorts going on. Members of the marines abseiling down the front etc. Plans of the ride and the story of how it came to be.

Also, the (in)famous 'joke' that appeared everywhere in 2000 (noticeably on every fish & chip box in the park).

Q. What's the difference between Valhalla and the Millennium Dome?
A. One takes you for a ride, the other is in Blackpool.

Won't pretend I always sought out a ride on Bling, because I didn't. That said, sitting in the bar next to Danter's Air at Winter Wonderland tonight, it was a really cool ride, looking back.

I know it was a bit of an operational headache, but it was a good fit in a lot of ways. Was thrilling without being so spinny it put folk off, almost a flat ride for people that don't like flats... It's quite a graceful experience unless you get a really rocky car.

Although, I will have to have a couple more Pilsners to convince me to spend £9 on a ride!

Well done Rick...couldn't fix the year for the space age air dome, complete with double door air locks and moat, on the sky force site.
Edges pointed out to dippy on the last days of the season.
Scaffolding spotted going in round the back of the express mountains the other day...spotted a Valhalla boat there as well.

It was to stop people damaging the bubble fabric, I don't think it would pop, but it would certainly have deflated.
I think it was kept at 1 p.s.i.
You had to wait for one set of doors to close before going through the others...a real air lock.
A local squash club has a similar bubble.

Confirmation from pleasure beach in a tweet that Valhalla will be closed in 2020.

Not sure why they are proud to announce that one of their headline attractions is going to be closed for a whole season, but it does look as though they are planning on keeping the ride going for several more years.

Personally I would have preferred the ride replaced with a compact coaster but If the end result is a more reliable and slightly drier experience then it's worth the wait.

I suspect that closing the ride for an entire season is more of a money saving exercise than anything else, unless they are planning on some amazing changes - we will just have to wait and see.

Last edited:
It seems the Merlin 'TLC' marketing is spreading.

No doubt this 'investment' is so that they have something to market next year without actually buying any new hardware.

It does not take 12 months to refurb a water ride.

I agree that shutting Valhalla for a whole season does smack of money saving. Surely they could have closed it for the final third of last season, worked on the refurb through closed season & opened it during the second third of 2020 season, rather than take it out for an entire season?

Personally I won’t miss it much, I can go whole seasons without riding it anyway, it will just be frustrating as it will push the other queues up especially in Spring & Summer. Perhaps that in turn will increase speedy pass sales? Getting very cynical, too much time with Rob & Shakey!

It seems the Merlin 'TLC' marketing is spreading.
We have no idea how the project will turn out yet. "TLC" I hated because it was showing pictures of repaints and standard maintenance jobs as some kind of special 'programme'. Announcing that a ride is going to be shut for a whole year for refurbishment (which everyone knows is very much needed) is completely different and is more just keeping their visitors up to date.

Of course it could still turn out to be a bad refurbishment or just a shifting of the furniture advertised as new, which will be very disappointing and in which case I'd completely agree with you!

I agree that shutting Valhalla for a whole season does smack of money saving. Surely they could have closed it for the final third of last season, worked on the refurb through closed season & opened it during the second third of 2020 season, rather than take it out for an entire season?
Maybe, but how long do Disney shut their rides for refurbishment? Phantom Manor took the mickey! For a ride this massive it could be justified

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.