Blackpool Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Discussion in 'European Parks and Attractions' started by John, 13th Jun 2012.

1. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    Hype.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TheBolt, Rojo, Mi-Nigle and 4 others like this.
  2. Plastic Person

Plastic Person TowersStreet Member

I remember getting this artwork in the post and being hyped beyond belief. Funny how they positioned The Nash to the left of the image. Technically accurate!

skyscraper likes this.
  3. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    @Plastic Person so much hype for that ride. That's from a 2000 marketing booklet. In the same box I found the mock newspaper they produced with all sorts going on. Members of the marines abseiling down the front etc. Plans of the ride and the story of how it came to be.

Also, the (in)famous 'joke' that appeared everywhere in 2000 (noticeably on every fish & chip box in the park).

Q. What's the difference between Valhalla and the Millennium Dome?
    A. One takes you for a ride, the other is in Blackpool.

Sam, Rojo, ThisGuy and 7 others like this.
  4. Coaster

Coaster TowersStreet Member

The promotional artwork for Valhalla was incredible, thank you for sharing those! :)

rob666 and skyscraper like this.
  5. Rojo

Rojo TowersStreet Member

MattyH, skyscraper and Dipper_Dave like this.
  6. Coaster

Coaster TowersStreet Member

They're still towing the "future developments" line?! Let's see them then!

Rojo likes this.
  7. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    Won't pretend I always sought out a ride on Bling, because I didn't. That said, sitting in the bar next to Danter's Air at Winter Wonderland tonight, it was a really cool ride, looking back.

I know it was a bit of an operational headache, but it was a good fit in a lot of ways. Was thrilling without being so spinny it put folk off, almost a flat ride for people that don't like flats... It's quite a graceful experience unless you get a really rocky car.

Although, I will have to have a couple more Pilsners to convince me to spend £9 on a ride!

8. MiserableMonkey

MiserableMonkey TowersStreet Member

Willing to put money on us all watching that site in 10 months time very closely!

9. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    From 1976, not as cool as the similar one from 1977 I posted a few weeks ago.

[​IMG]

DiogoJ42, skyscraper, Rojo and 7 others like this.
  10. rob666

rob666 TowersStreet Member

Well done Rick...couldn't fix the year for the space age air dome, complete with double door air locks and moat, on the sky force site.
    Edges pointed out to dippy on the last days of the season.
    Scaffolding spotted going in round the back of the express mountains the other day...spotted a Valhalla boat there as well.

Dipper_Dave likes this.
  11. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    @rob666 You'l have to point out the moat to me at some point, I do not follow.

I have just found the 1974 Space Tower advert but my scanner has been unplugged against my wishes for the Christmas tree lights.

skyscraper, Rojo and Dipper_Dave like this.
  12. rob666

It was to stop people damaging the bubble fabric, I don't think it would pop, but it would certainly have deflated.
    I think it was kept at 1 p.s.i.
    You had to wait for one set of doors to close before going through the others...a real air lock.
    A local squash club has a similar bubble.

Rick and Dipper_Dave like this.
  13. shakey

shakey TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Wild Mouse - Blackpool
    Confirmation from pleasure beach in a tweet that Valhalla will be closed in 2020.

Not sure why they are proud to announce that one of their headline attractions is going to be closed for a whole season, but it does look as though they are planning on keeping the ride going for several more years.

Personally I would have preferred the ride replaced with a compact coaster but If the end result is a more reliable and slightly drier experience then it's worth the wait.

I suspect that closing the ride for an entire season is more of a money saving exercise than anything else, unless they are planning on some amazing changes - we will just have to wait and see.

Last edited: 20th Dec 2019
    Matt N, rob666 and Rojo like this.
  14. D4n

D4n TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    It seems the Merlin 'TLC' marketing is spreading.

No doubt this 'investment' is so that they have something to market next year without actually buying any new hardware.

It does not take 12 months to refurb a water ride.

b2311e, MattyH, Benjsh and 5 others like this.
  15. Plastic Person

Plastic Person TowersStreet Member

Who writes the copy for BPB's announcements? "The ride Valhalla". For the love of Odin.

Temleh, Sam, Poopoohead and 3 others like this.
  16. Dipper_Dave

Dipper_Dave TowersStreet Member

I agree that shutting Valhalla for a whole season does smack of money saving. Surely they could have closed it for the final third of last season, worked on the refurb through closed season & opened it during the second third of 2020 season, rather than take it out for an entire season?

Personally I won’t miss it much, I can go whole seasons without riding it anyway, it will just be frustrating as it will push the other queues up especially in Spring & Summer. Perhaps that in turn will increase speedy pass sales? Getting very cynical, too much time with Rob & Shakey!

17. TakeYourMedicine

TakeYourMedicine TowersStreet Member

We have no idea how the project will turn out yet. "TLC" I hated because it was showing pictures of repaints and standard maintenance jobs as some kind of special 'programme'. Announcing that a ride is going to be shut for a whole year for refurbishment (which everyone knows is very much needed) is completely different and is more just keeping their visitors up to date.

Of course it could still turn out to be a bad refurbishment or just a shifting of the furniture advertised as new, which will be very disappointing and in which case I'd completely agree with you!

Maybe, but how long do Disney shut their rides for refurbishment? Phantom Manor took the mickey! For a ride this massive it could be justified

18. Dipper_Dave

Dipper_Dave TowersStreet Member

If they turn it into Ripsaw Falls during 2020 then I’m more than happy for it to be closed

19. Danny

Danny TPWW's no.1 Fan

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    This will be the Pleasure Beach's most profitable year ever.

b2311e, CGM, WillPS and 4 others like this.
  20. rob666

I was just going to write...
    The saving in running costs will easily cover the renovation...
    but Danny beat me to it!

Dipper_Dave and ringo like this.