• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
One coaster type that I think would fit the Pleasure Beach well is an S&S 4D Freespin, as they are compact, cheap and fun. Plus if the standard size layout was too long they could go for the smaller size.

One coaster type that I think would fit the Pleasure Beach well is an S&S 4D Freespin, as they are compact, cheap and fun. Plus if the standard size layout was too long they could go for the smaller size.

Much as I personally dislike this ride type, I do agree that it would be a perfect fit for BPB, and because they’re unique in the U.K. it would provide a much needed gimmick which Icon didn’t provide.

There’s no real scientific way of measuring this, but from what I’ve heard (and I can only repeat my own experiences), the non-enthusiast members of the public I know who’ve visited BPB describe it as old, tatty and full of “rubbish old wooden coasters”

This is, of course, not an opinion I share. However, a few modern coasters, mixed with the classics would benefit the park’s reputation.

I know that people say that Icon hasn’t been a success and, if we base that entirely on short term marketing quick return on investment, then you could say it wasn’t a success in that respect.

But in terms of long term benefit to the park, Icon I think has healed to keep the park relevant.

But, who knows, that’s just a guess. How much of a long term benefit Icon has made to the park vs how the park would have performed without it, I guess, is something we’ll never know.
For once I agree with most of what you have said

A lot of the public do find many of the coasters rough and painful - because essentially they are!

Unfortunately the smoothness of icon is just helping to reaffirm that point of view.

They could certainly do with a couple more smooth coasters but the parks pockets are empty so that won't happen in the short term (or possibly medium term).

I can't help thinking that if they had built a 250ft dive coaster instead of icon then the parks fortunes would be much rosier than they are now. Easy to say that with hindsight I suppose but you can't even see icon from outside the park, and I think that was a big mistake for a seaside park to make.

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk

This is what I mean about something big and gimmicky. I’m not saying we need spurious “world firsts” but I’d agree that something bold and dominating would really benefit the park.

The earlier idea of a 4D coaster is something I agreed with because it would be unique in the U.K. and, more importantly, is an enjoyable focal point for non-riders. This was a massive benefit of Ripsaw which usually had more spectators than riders.

It would be, but we have several of the Intamin versions which aren't too dissimilar. At one stage I thought they could maybe replace Rev with one of those, though now I've been on both the Intamin & S&S versions I think I'd rather they just keep Rev indefinitely.

I’ve also been on both the Intamin and S&S versions and I hated both.

However, much as I personally disliked them, the reason for my dislike is purely because they just aren’t my cup of tea. I still think, despite my personal dislike of them, that either would be a great fit for BPB.

As skyscraper and John pointed out, it would be unique for the U.K. and a big marketing pull and would look impressive to the general public who’ve, in most cases, seen nothing like it.

Icon is a good ride but your average punter just sees it as a small coaster which goes fast. I fear they’d feel the same about a Mack Big Dipper. A 4D is more of a unique talking point type ride.

One could easily fit in the sculpture garden area.

I'm really not one to jump on the RMC bandwagon but a Raptor could be just the ticket for PB. It's unique, could fit into a small foot print and i can't imagine it would be ridiculously expensive either. I would love to see a Mack Big Dipper but how many of those types of rides do we have in the UK. It's basically a Gerstlauer Eurofighter (I am a fan of gerstlauer btw).

I'm really not one to jump on the RMC bandwagon but a Raptor could be just the ticket for PB. It's unique, could fit into a small foot print and i can't imagine it would be ridiculously expensive either. I would love to see a Mack Big Dipper but how many of those types of rides do we have in the UK. It's basically a Gerstlauer Eurofighter (I am a fan of gerstlauer btw).
I don't think pleasure beach should be going for another coaster currently, 10 seems to be enough. I would be trying to fill the gaps in North park perhaps putting in some flat rides.

I don't think pleasure beach should be going for another coaster currently, 10 seems to be enough. I would be trying to fill the gaps in North park perhaps putting in some flat rides.

I was thinking more along the lines of going in with a large axe and chopping things down, to justify adding another coaster ha.

Agree though, more flats are needed.

Also, i'm intrigued about these S&S Axis Coasters. Does anyone know if one of these has been purchased. This could be a very unique concept indeed.

The single best flat ride investment BPB could make is surely a Loke clone. I’m pretty sure they could fit it in and it would be about the same price as Sky Force. They’re an impressive machine, which goes to everyone’s point about Icon having a disappointingly minimal visual impact, but also and perhaps more importantly, they are almost universally regarded as one of the best flat rides on the planet. I’d prefer it to both an S&S or Intamin Zacspin.

If you were flat ride shopping, it would surely be near the top of your list. They just need the money.

Intamin Zac Spins are pretty poor, the S&S rides are pretty fun though.

There are plenty of rides that would have consumed the £18m Icon budget far better, whether it be a single ride or a number of rides over the course of a few seasons. However, it's easy to say that after the fact and as others have alluded to, it's not just about the ride, it's how it's presented and marketed too.

I would love to see an RMC Raptor in the UK, great fun, relatively small footprint and not too offensive from a price perspective. You could argue it's the spiritual successor to the Mouse in a lot of ways.

Last edited:
I would love to see an RMC Raptor in the UK, great fun, relatively small footprint and not too offensive from a price perspective. You could argue it's the spiritual successor to the Mouse in a lot of ways.

Am i right in thinking that the single rail track requires less support? This could be quite an important factor as BPB don't want to be ripping everything up to get a coaster in.

Doubt we'll be seeing another major coaster till late in the decade. Maybe 2027 / 2028 we might get one and maybe even later than that. You only have to look at the gap between the last few coasters. They also don't have the cash to keep investing like Merlin are able to do.

A huge Gyro swing would be very good investment in the next 3 to 4 years. I'd also like to see them do something to Ice Blast. It's lost quite a bit of it's kick in my opinion and it's losing it's appeal. Maybe they could add those rotating seats we've recently seen.

Doubt we'll be seeing another major coaster till late in the decade. Maybe 2027 / 2028 we might get one and maybe even later than that. You only have to look at the gap between the last few coasters. They also don't have the cash to keep investing like Merlin are able to do.

A huge Gyro swing would be very good investment in the next 3 to 4 years. I'd also like to see them do something to Ice Blast. It's lost quite a bit of it's kick in my opinion and it's losing it's appeal. Maybe they could add those rotating seats we've recently seen.
Wouldn't mind an Intamin Sky Jump, like Falcons Fury (large version) or Ikaros (small version). Either would fit nicely on Ice Blast's site.

A gyro swing would indeed be a good investment but they'd to make more space to fit one in. One with lap restraints like Loke would be ace though!

Wouldn't mind an Intamin Sky Jump, like Falcons Fury (large version) or Ikaros (small version). Either would fit nicely on Ice Blast's site.

A gyro swing would indeed be a good investment but they'd to make more space to fit one in. One with lap restraints like Loke would be ace though!

I'm struggling to picture it but if Ice Blast was removed soon could they fit a Gyro swing on that site in front of Valhalla ???

Whatever the park add (whenever that will be), it has to be something that brings more people into the park.

Icon didn't do it so what hope has a flat ride got.

Personally I would love to see some classics back - Pirate Ship, Monster, Twister etc.. I am sure they would be very popular rides but they aren't going to bring more people into the park unfortunately.

Maybe it would be better to spend whatever money they have on advertising, customer service and generally tidying up the park. Some of the props on pleasure beach express for example are a complete embarrassment.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.