• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I don't believe this rumour about Valhalla without reliable confirmation, but at the same time, closing a ride without any prior notice is absolutely what Pleasure Beach would do.

I agree it's unlikely they'd make a statement before next season for fear of losing more revenue. More likely they'll notify people when they arrive that it's not operating which I'd imagine will disappoint a fair few people.

I'll be behind them whatever they choose to do since they're a small family run park without the budget of the likes of Merlin, and I like to root for the underdogs. It's a shame that Icon didn't really take off the way they'd hoped.

As for wild mouse, as enjoyable as it was it was a bit of a death trap, and in this "where there's blame there's a claim" society I'm sure they had concerns over riders safety/comfort. I'd heard and seen many complaints over its roughness, and even seen people come off in tears.

I think you're giving Pleasure Beach too much credit.

This is the park that demolished Wild Mouse without so much as a whisper and then rushed out a statement afterwards which actually made the situation worse!

They had already sold season passes for 2018 and I believe had already started taking bookings for WOW Weekends before anyone knew it was gone.

I don't believe this rumour about Valhalla without reliable confirmation, but at the same time, closing a ride without any prior notice is absolutely what Pleasure Beach would do.

Hmmm you're right there actually never thought of that, i remember sitting in my house and just feeling utter despair when I found out it was closing, such a great ride, yeah it was rough as toast, but it was an absolute classic and so fun, especially if you were riding with someone who'd never ridden it before. Modern wild mouse rides are so tame in comparison, I would genuinely have considered the Wild Mouse a true intense ride experience, it was great!

While some how reducing the wetness, then the ride should have plenty of life left in it. How, I don't know. New boats? Magnetic brakes on the drops? Answers on a postcard.

180125-1-Perspex_canopies_Dreamworlds.jpg

I can't be bothered to walk around wearing wellies and waterproofs all day, nor can I be bothered to carry them around with me/mess around with lockers as I always travel light at theme parks.

No you don't have to, my waterproofs go on just before a water ride and come of again once I've finished having my re-rides. They just roll up into my back pack when finished. If I was to wear them all day, I would simply get sweaty. The only other time I wear them, and that is when it rains.

I don't wear wellies either, but you can get waterproof walking boots

I'm now at the point where I just ride it before park closing and keep a change of clothes/shoes in the car to get changed into for the drive home.

I always have a change of clothes in the car just in-case, but so far, I've never needed them.

No that's taking the fun completely out of the ride

No you don't have to, my waterproofs go on just before a water ride and come of again once I've finished having my re-rides. They just roll up into my back pack when finished. If I was to wear them all day, I would simply get sweaty. The only other time I wear them, and that is when it rains.
I couldn't help but read this in the voice of a famous fictional broadcaster, local to yourself in Norfolk.

Problem is I don't like carrying bags/backpacks with me on park. I just put the few things I need i.e keys, wallet, phone in my coat pocket and I'm good to go. I personally feel bags are cumbersome on park and get in the way plus there is risk of loss/theft as I am very forgetful.

I would use the lockers but don't like the fact that once they're open you can't use them again and have to pay for a new one if you want to put stuff back in. I think they should have the option to pay for all day

If this rumour turns out to be true, then I'm incredibly glad I rode it in August! I must admit that it would be a sad closure purely due to how ambitious and unique the ride is, but it would certainly make a lot of sense if the park is struggling financially as much as some people claim. In all honesty, I'm rather surprised that the park didn't move to operating it seasonally if they wanted to save money, as I can't imagine it's too popular in February!

Besides, this closure could be because BPB is refurbishing the ride for 2021; the video did mention that £900,000 of work needed doing, so maybe that's all BPB are doing!
As a dark ride I'm a big fan, but the insane wetness puts me off. If they could restore the sets and effects to their former glory ... reliably ... While some how reducing the wetness, then the ride should have plenty of life left in it. How, I don't know. New boats? Magnetic brakes on the drops? Answers on a postcard.
I must admit, as much as I thought Valhalla was a great dark ride when I tried it in August, I have to agree with @DiogoJ42 here; I think that it's just too wet for me to want to reride it frequently. We were very lucky that it was nearing 30 degrees on the one occasion that we rode it; even then, I was absolutely freezing getting off, so I can't even fathom what it would be like in the colder months! As much as I liked Valhalla's dark ride elements and special effects, I don't think I'd reride it unless it was a very, very hot day; I certainly won't be one of those people who keeps lapping it over and over on WOW Weekends!

We were very lucky that it was nearing 30 degrees on the one occasion that we rode it; even then, I was absolutely freezing getting off, so I can't even fathom what it would be like in the colder months!

We went on it in the middle of October and although we got changed after, it took me all day to get warm again despite having the heating on full blast :D

We went on it in the middle of October and although we got changed after, it took me all day to get warm again despite having the heating on full blast :D
I can imagine! I'm not sure I could even fathom riding Valhalla in October, so I admire you guys' cold tolerance!

Me, my dad, and my uncle rode it 8/9 times back-to-back one October! We used to go for a fortnight each year and go on park nearly everyday, so one day we got bored and decided to ride it as many times as we could stand!

Like most things at pleasure beach "it was better in my day!" Hopefully they do something about the water, maybe just turn the vortex off? The rest is a manageable amount of wetness, and it is a pretty fun ride and an incredible amount of ride in a small-ish space so I hope they're not planning a wild mouse for it

I've said for a while that Valhala needs work to make it a more affordable ride to run and consistent. The ride system is excellent as is the show building and concept, it is the effects that are the issue IMO - what is there is expensive to run, and the reliability seems to be terrible. Technology has moved on, so I'm sure with a bit of investment they could massively reduce running costs, create a good and unique show and make it more reliable.

I don't get the water vortex - the only purpose seems to be to soak people and sell ponchos!

I would also like to see BPB look at how it operates the ride. There really is no reason why it opens at the park opening - people will rarely choose it as a morning ride. So from a budget point of view it would make sense to open it from lunchtime. I also believe that it should not open on days when the temperature is below 10.degrees... it simply makes no sense!

Valhalla already opens an hour after the park on a 10am opening, it opens at 11 (did used to be half past 11).

I don't think basing the opening of the ride on temperature would work, what if it was 9 degrees on a busy late night riding event for example?

I wouldn’t be shocked if it opened late in 2020. I also wouldn’t be shocked if it didn’t open at all. In either circumstance, there’s little to no chance BPB would publish such a closure this far in advance. If you’re lucky you might get something a week or so before. It took an outcry for them to hurry out a half-baked statement about Wild Mouse AFTER it had already been demolished.

Valhalla aside, can I just say that it’s a credit to the people on this forum that the discussion around this topic (and indeed most others) is so sensible. It’s a stark contrast to some of the vitriol which I’m told is being espoused elsewhere.

Amanda Thompson has come out on Twitter to say the following regarding Valhalla:

"Really .... certainly nothing has been decided yet. We are looking at ways to #reimagine the ride yes..... but more importantly we are looking at trying to make it more sustainable. Sustainability is essential for the future of this ride. I can assure you Valhalla is here to stay"

(@MandsThompson)

Make of that what you will.

fair play to her, at least she has responded Perhaps not given an answer, but certain organisations don't even aknowledge questions...

Amanda Thompson has come out on Twitter to say the following regarding Valhalla:

"Really .... certainly nothing has been decided yet. We are looking at ways to #reimagine the ride yes..... but more importantly we are looking at trying to make it more sustainable. Sustainability is essential for the future of this ride. I can assure you Valhalla is here to stay"

(@MandsThompson)

Make of that what you will.
Let me interpret some of her points.....

"Really .... certainly nothing has been decided yet."
The ride will definitely be closed next season.

"We are looking at ways to #reimagine the ride"
We are going to rip out all the effects so it's just a log flume.

"We are looking at trying to make it more sustainable."
We are skint so we desperately need to cut costs.

"I can assure you Valhalla is here to stay"
Remember what I did to the wild mouse.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Another small nail in their coffin for me. They are clearly skint.

Icon doesn't seem like it's brought enough customers in which was my worry when they opted for it. A huge hit for us enthusiasts but the GP clearly aren't that crazy about it. They judge rides differently to us.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.